Opera Web browser

Soxy

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 30, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Saw a news story about a new web browser called Opera--has anyone tried it? Any comments?

Thanks!

Nice little program. Takes a bit to get use to and some files load funny. Developers rarely check to see if their pages work with it.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 30, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Saw a news story about a new web browser called Opera--has anyone tried it? Any comments?

Thanks!

I installed it bout 5 months ago, but don't use it.. There is a free version, but there is a big ad on the top..you could pay for it and rid of it.. It has the tab-browsing just like Fire fox and there is better customization when it comes to the appearance and such...but it does load a bit funny..prob 2 seconds slower then Fire fox. But that was the free version.

Its a good browser, looks really nice, but like Tex said...developers are just trying to catch up with Fire fox.It loads weird..You can download it the free version and give it a try.. Even though i use Fire fox 99% of the time I still have Opera on my system..just in case

http://www.opera.com/

I forgot to add, it's followers have a cult like addiction. Possibly even worse than Mac users. I'm using Firefox and loving it. I only have one site that I must use IE, and that's only because I'm too lazy to reach into Firefox and figure out what setting is causing me to hang up.

Opera is pre-firefox and was definitely an improvement over some of the IE 4 and IE 5 issues that people were having in 02 and 03 when I used it. There was also iCab, an opera like browser for the Mac that I used briefly too. I enjoyed Netscape 7 for a while, but my lappy died a terrible death so now I use my 6 year old iMac with OS 8.6 and a browser so outdated that nothing looks right anymore.

QUOTE(winodj @ May 31, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
Opera is pre-firefox and was definitely an improvement over some of the IE 4 and IE 5 issues that people were having in 02 and 03 when I used it. There was also iCab, an opera like browser for the Mac that I used briefly too. I enjoyed Netscape 7 for a while, but my lappy died a terrible death so now I use my 6 year old iMac with OS 8.6 and a browser so outdated that nothing looks right anymore.

Does that make you retro-cool?

wino. I'm not sure what you mean by Opera being pre-Firefox unless you simply meant that the first version was released before Firefox. There is no connection between the two besides that.

Opera was developed some ten years ago with the goal of being a small and fast browser. Some people swear by it, but it is true that most pages are not tested for Opera. If you use it, you would probably still need to use IE or Firefox to view some unsupported pages.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
wino. I'm not sure what you mean by Opera being pre-Firefox unless you simply meant that the first version was released before Firefox.  There is no connection between the two besides that.

Opera was developed some ten years ago with the goal of being a small and fast browser.  Some people swear by it, but it is true that most pages are not tested for Opera.  If you use it, you would probably still need to use IE or Firefox to view some unsupported pages.

pre-Firefox means it was the "it" alternative web browser choice before Firefox was.