Sox Notes: Takatsu needs to clear mind

Jabroni

"Notes: Takatsu needs to clear mind

Guillen, reliever address confidence in closed-door meeting"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- When Orlando Hernandez is activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to his start Friday night against Cleveland, the White Sox will need a corresponding move to make room for the right-hander on the active roster.

It seems very unlikely that a demotion of Shingo Takatsu to Triple-A Charlotte will be that particular maneuver. While a trip to the International League for the struggling former closer has been discussed in the media, with the purpose of Takatsu finding a new level of confidence while pitching more frequently, manager Ozzie Guillen said Monday that idea was not currently in play.

"Not right now. I don't think so," said Guillen of Takatsu. "I think this kid is there for a reason.

"If we start sending people down because they have bad outings or a bad week or a bad month, we might be running out of players," Guillen added.

Takatsu, 36, started the season as the White Sox closer but since has been moved to middle relief and even mop-up duty, as he pitched on Sunday in Texas. The sidearming right-hander gave up four runs in just one inning, including home runs to Mark Teixeira and Hank Blalock.

For the season, Takatsu has yielded seven home runs over 14 1/3 innings. He allowed only six long balls in 62 1/3 innings during his stellar rookie campaign. Guillen believes that Takatsu has been thinking too much when he's on the mound, not trusting his stuff to do the job.

It was part of the message Guillen delivered to Takatsu during a private meeting Sunday. Basically, Guillen wants him to have fun and stop worrying about letting down his manager or his teammates.

"That's exactly what he said," said Takatsu, through a translator, of the talk with Guillen. "I do think a lot when I'm out there, about the game situation or who's up.

"It might be a negative thing. It might be affecting me mentally. It's really hard to tell."

As for his own thoughts about a brief Minor League assignment, Takatsu really didn't have any. He's simply focused on his next trip to the mound, whenever that might be, and regaining the form that has produced 27 saves in 29 chances during the past two years. He is trying to work through the problems leading to a 6.91 ERA over 19 games.

"I would think about it when that time came," said Takatsu of the Minors. "I don't want to think about going to Triple-A. If they came up to me and said, 'You are going to Triple-A,' that's when I would first think about it."

"Shingo is worried about what he can do," Guillen added. "I told him to just be him. He will be back on the mound, hopefully soon, and I don't want him to worry about the past. When you play baseball, everybody goes through this."

Role adjustment: Frank Thomas' presence on the active roster could mean less playing time for Carl Everett as the White Sox designated hitter. It also could lead to new outfield responsibilities for Everett, who has played one game in right and one game in left this season.

"I told Carl myself, when we were in Tampa, that he needed to make sure he worked out in the outfield to a greater extent so that Ozzie will have the option to give guys the day off here and there, and use the lineup how he sees fit," said general manager Ken Williams. "If Carl did not do some of those things, then he would not be an option. It was in his best interest, and the team's best interest, and he understood that."

Williams assumed that Everett followed that edict, adding that the coaches would be able to confirm the fact better than him. Everett, out of the lineup Monday, currently is mired in a 4-for-37 slump over his last 11 games and an 11-for-68 slump over his last 20.

But having played sparingly during the first five years of his career, Everett knows what to expect as a part-timer.

"It's no different," Everett said. "I know how to handle it.

"You don't worry about things you can't control, it's that simple. That's why I don't really have anything to say about it. If that's the way it is, that's the way it is."

Fitting tribute: The White Sox honored Chico Carrasquel, the former South Side shortstop and Venezuelan baseball legend, prior to Monday's contest. A video montage of Carrasquel, who passed away at his home in Venezuela on May 26, was played on the center-field video screen, followed by the playing of the Venezuelan national anthem.

Minnie Minoso also threw out one of the first pitches in honor of Carrasquel.

"We have a lot of good players come out of our country, but there is something special about Chico," said Guillen of his close friend. "Everybody in my country loves him, and me too.

"Doing this for him and my country, I think that tells you how special Chico was," added Guillen of the tribute.

Down on the farm: Wes Whisler pitched seven strong innings, allowing one unearned run on five hits, as Class A Winston-Salem claimed a 3-1 victory at Kinston. Whisler struck out five, and Ehren Wasserman closed out the contest for his Carolina League leading 11th save. Wasserman extended his scoreless innings streak to 22 2/3 to start the season. ... Ryan Sweeney knocked out a double and a triple during Double-A Birmingham's 3-2 loss at West Tennessee.

Coming soon: With Saturday's rainout, Freddy Garcia pitches Tuesday on five days' rest, and faces the Angels for the second time in the same week. The big right-hander has an 11-3 career record against Los Angeles and has allowed just two runs on 12 hits over his last 15 innings.

Am I the only one here that thinks Shingo still has it in him to turn around this season and start shutting people down?

From what I've seen of him...his problem is nothing that can't be corrected...it's not like he's lost speed or anything off of a pitch - he can't get his pitches over and down, so he ends up having no option but his fastball, and people can just sit on it.

If he can figure out how to get his change/curve over for a strike, then it could all snap back into place for him.

Right now I think he needs time.

Am I the only one here that thinks Shingo still has it in him to turn around this season and start shutting people down?

From what I've seen of him...his problem is nothing that can't be corrected...it's not like he's lost speed or anything off of a pitch - he can't get his pitches over and down, so he ends up having no option but his fastball, and people can just sit on it.

If he can figure out how to get his change/curve over for a strike, then it could all snap back into place for him.

Probably.

I personally think that if Shingo could get some regular innings and get himself into a groove he would be effective again...pitching once a week isn't enough to get into any kind of rhythm...He has shown he can pitch at this level b4...how quickly people forget or just give up on players...funny thing is most who are ripping him, if he gets it together how fast they will be riding his jock.

QUOTE(winodj @ May 31, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
I think the guy's just in a slump. He'll turn it around, but he needs to get more work than an inning every 10 days to do that.

The only problem with that is, that the Sox can't afford to allow him to "work it out". He gives up runs while attempting to get work.

The Sox have had too many close games where one run can kill them. Mostly, it is the anemic offense's fault, really.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)

Yes

Even though we already knew about this,

per rotoworld

Shingo Takatsu - R - CWS

Contrary to rumors, manager Ozzie Guillen said Shingo Takatsu is in no danger of a demotion to Triple-A.

''We had a little talk with him,'' Guillen said. ''I want him to be back to being him. I think Shingo is just thinking too much. I think Shingo is worrying about what he can do. I told him just to be you, don't worry about it. Shingo is going to be back on the mound, hopefully soon.'' The odds of him closing in Chicago again are extremely slim. May. 31 - 9:47 am et

Source: Daily Southtown

Edited by sayitanitso

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)

As a former pitcher whenever you think to much you often walk guys. Just have fun and be loose.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 31, 2005 -> 06:50 AM)
I personally think that if Shingo could get some regular innings and get himself into a groove he would be effective again...pitching once a week isn't enough to get into any kind of rhythm...He has shown he can pitch at this level b4...how quickly people forget or just give up on players...funny thing is most who are ripping him, if he gets it together how fast they will be riding his jock.

I agree. He will play a big part on the Sox this year.

I think Shingo will turn it around, but I don't know about him being as good as last year again. He needs to learn to throw that chanegup over the plate instead of in the dirt or way out of the strikezone. That's his problem. He tries to throw the fastball down the middle and not his changeup so they could just sit on the fastball and Boom the dynamite goes.

I better not have wasted $200 on my Shingo jersey! He better turn it around. I just think we need to put him in low-pressure situations and let him get his confidence. When we are losing badly or wining by a lot, let him throw an inning or 2....