Any News on...

CWSGuy406

Wasn't the deadline for them to sign tonight? In fact, in about seven minutes? Has either of them signed yet? This is the latest I saw from Baseball America...

May 27: Weaver's Price Tag Not What It Seems

by Jim Callis

In the latest update on the Jered Weaver saga, the Orange County Register reports that Scott Boras' new $6 million price tag for the unsigned Angels 2004 first-round pick doesn't include an incentive proposal. Boras wants Weaver to receive an additional $750,000 if he spends three straight years in the majors starting in 2006, which would bring the total value to $6.75 million--or $1.5 million more than the club's last offer of a big league deal. Weaver has until midnight Monday to sign, or he'll re-enter the 2005 draft.

May 26: Mixed Message On Weaver Status

by John Manuel

Los Angeles area media continue to hit up Angels general manager Bill Stoneman and owner Arte Moreno at the ballpark for quotes on the Jered Weaver holdout, which has a deadline finally approaching. The closed period begins at 12:01 a.m. May 31, giving the Angels, Weaver and his agent, Scott Boras, through Monday to come up with a deal for the 12th overall pick last year out of Long Beach State. Moreno and Stoneman told various news outlets that Boras’ characterization that the two sides were only about $750,000 apart was not correct; Moreno characterized it as “low” in an MLB.com story, while Stoneman told the Los Angeles Times that the club would not budge from its last offer of a $5.25 million major league contract. “I know Scott characterizes things in a certain way,” Stoneman told the Times, “and obviously he’s going to put a spin on it to make it look like he’s made major concessions to get a deal done. But the fact remains that we’re still far, far apart, and what he’s asking us to do is bid against ourselves. We’re not about to do that.”

(BTW -- I'm pretty sure that these quotes aren't for 'Registered Users' only, but if it is, can a mod just edit it?)

Link.

Well, it looks like Weaver has signed...

EDIT: And wow, both kids sign last minute deals. Damn, I was hoping Drew wouldn't sign. f***. (I should have clarified -- not that I wanted the Sox to take Drew, though I wouldn't mind it, but rather to give the Sox more options at #15 in case the Mets grabbed Drew at #9).

May 30: Weaver, Drew Agree To Terms

by Jim Callis

Minutes before the midnight Eastern Time deadline before they would have re-entered the 2005 draft, 2004 first-rounders Jered Weaver and Stephen Drew agreed to terms. Weaver, a former Long Beach State righthander selected 12th overall by the Angels, accepted a $4 million bonus pending a physical. Drew, a former Florida State shortstop, signed a five-year big league contract with the Diamondbacks, who took him 15th. Drew will receive a $4 million bonus over to be paid over four years and is guaranteed a minimum of $5.5 million. He also can make another $2 million in incentives that a source close to the negotiations describes as easily attainable. Both Weaver and Drew are represented by Scott Boras and had signed with the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League this spring. Weaver was BA’s top-rated prospect and Drew the top-rated position player last year, but concerns over their bonus demands caused them to slide in the draft.

From Baseball America.

Edited by CWSGuy406

I had heard that they would be signed. There was a lot of talk that Boras was feeling the pressure and if he didn't get them signed his clients would really get hammered this year (more than previous years).

This is actually a semi decent sign cause it may mean a few more teams take a chance on a Boras client.

Guest JimH

No surprise that it takes until the very last minute to get a Boras client signed. This guy is a scum bag, it's the same game with him every year. These two players got big money but probably no more or even less than they would've gotten 8 months ago.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
No surprise that it takes until the very last minute to get a Boras client signed.  This guy is a scum bag, it's the same game with him every year.  These two players got big money but probably no more or even less than they would've gotten 8 months ago.

Yep. It looks as if Boras is the one who caved, which is very nice to see. :)

QUOTE(JimH @ May 31, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
No surprise that it takes until the very last minute to get a Boras client signed.  This guy is a scum bag, it's the same game with him every year.  These two players got big money but probably no more or even less than they would've gotten 8 months ago.

(TIC) Players who hold out and don't play for a year have such a great track record...

It's the kiss of death.