Semi Official: Sox envoke Clause

Mr. Showtime

From the Trib:

The Sox have informed Thomas they will invoke the revised-payment-rights, or "diminished-skills," clause in his contract, the Tribune has learned, but they are honoring Thomas' request that no announcement be made. Thomas will have until early December to find a team that will give him what he desperately wants: a combination of money and respect.

It's believed the Sox have opted to cut Thomas' up-front salary in half for 2003, from $10.3 million per year to about $5 million per year, deferring the rest to retain some payroll flexibility. Thomas' contract runs through 2006 and is guaranteed, so he will get the rest of the remaining $40 million down the road, even if he decides to accept the new salary.

Guest hotsoxchick1

umm where exactly was this found? and when was it printed??? this sounds alot like an article i read eariler in the season around july or august i believe which paul sullivan wrote when the idea of invoking the clause was being talked about heavily..... i dont see too much truth in this one just yet since jr makes the final decisions on this topic and he has been busy attending to eddies side in his sickness.....i would be willing to bet this is a kenny williams trick to see exactly how many people will turn their backs on the sox......

Originally posted by Mr. Showtime

From the Trib:

The Sox have informed Thomas they will invoke the revised-payment-rights, or "diminished-skills," clause in his contract, the Tribune has learned, but they are honoring Thomas' request that no announcement be made. Thomas will have until early December to find a team that will give him what he desperately wants: a combination of money and respect.

It's believed the Sox have opted to cut Thomas' up-front salary in half for 2003, from $10.3 million per year to about $5 million per year, deferring the rest to retain some payroll flexibility. Thomas' contract runs through 2006 and is guaranteed, so he will get the rest of the remaining $40 million down the road, even if he decides to accept the new salary.

Notice how it says he will earn 5 mill and not 250,000? I dont think frank will be a FA. Something was messed with in this clause. Now it's set up so frank gets good maney up front and gets the rest later after retirement.

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1umm where exactly was this found? and when was it printed??? this sounds alot like an article i read eariler in the season around  july or august i believe which paul sullivan wrote when the idea of invoking the clause was being talked about heavily..... i dont see too much truth in this one just yet since jr makes the final decisions on this topic and he has been busy attending to eddies side in his sickness.....i would be willing to bet this is a kenny williams trick to  see exactly how many people will turn their backs on the sox......

On chicagosports.com

I would assume it was in today's trib.

Here's whats happening. Thomas was informed he will be given the clause and the Sox will then make him an offer that will kind of meet him half way. I don't know what the offer will be, but the trib hints at 5 mill with the rest deferred.

Anyway, I don't see how this is cheap, to me its smart. This way he can go out and add another pitcher without effecting anything else and it also makes Thomas very valuable when it comes to a trade if they rework the contract with the correct wordings.

I wouldn't really care. If Frank wants to go elsewhere he's earned that right. He's not worth 10 mill a year right now so JR had to make a move that needs to be done.

This team needs pitching, not a 10 mill a year hitter when we have guys like Caballo that can move to DH opening up a shot for the "chosen one" or the "golden boy" Joe Borchard.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I wouldn't really care.  If Frank wants to go elsewhere he's earned that right.  He's not worth 10 mill a year right now so JR had to make a move that needs to be done.

This team needs pitching, not a 10 mill a year hitter when we have guys like Caballo that can move to DH opening up a shot for the "chosen one" or the "golden boy" Joe Borchard.

About time you came around and said this.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Here's whats happening.  Thomas was informed he will be given the clause and the Sox will then make him an offer that will kind of meet him half way. I don't know what the offer will be, but the trib hints at 5 mill with the rest deferred.

Anyway, I don't see how this is cheap, to me its smart.  This way he can go out and add another pitcher without effecting anything else and it also makes Thomas very valuable when it comes to a trade if they rework the contract with the correct wordings.

Listen very clearly. Williams wants Thomas gone badly, Jerry Reinsdorf will not allow Williams to trade Frank. OK.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Originally posted by Mr. Showtime
Originally posted by hotsoxchick1umm where exactly was this found? and when was it printed??? this sounds alot like an article i read eariler in the season around  july or august i believe which paul sullivan wrote when the idea of invoking the clause was being talked about heavily..... i dont see too much truth in this one just yet since jr makes the final decisions on this topic and he has been busy attending to eddies side in his sickness.....i would be willing to bet this is a kenny williams trick to  see exactly how many people will turn their backs on the sox......

On chicagosports.com

I would assume it was in today's trib.

nope im sure i read this before a while back.. its worded much the same...not in todays trib though but one from a few months ago......