Kittle on Bonds

From an excerpt of Ron's new book, courtesy of the Southtown:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/311sd2.htm

...I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, "Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help."

Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said.

I stood there for a minute, and the veins in my neck were popping. I've only been that mad a few times in my life. I was going to beat the (heck) out of him, really kick his (butt), but Williams saw what was happening, so he came over and got between us. Matt said, "Ron, that's just the way he is."

I said, "White guys aren't the only ones who get cancer"...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The baseball gods know about Barry Bonds. He'll never touch Hank Aaron's record. And if he does, I'll be damned. The greatest record in baseball doesn't belong to a racist prick, and to speak honestly, I don't truly believe a better man could carry it than Hank Aaron.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
I mean, I know he hit a rooftop shot but that doesn't make him Paul Bunyan either

I think he hit like seven of 'em, if I'm not mistaken.

As a 16 year old in 1983, he made me a lifelong fan with his rookie of the year performance that year.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
I was shocked when I heard this..but that quote is at least a month or two old I know it has been posted on here before...

Bonds is a classless POS...

Yea.. I think someone posted it back in March..

Bulls***, too. IMO.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
Yeah but yet Bonds feels he has the right to cry about racists?? WTF does he think he is??

Let me clarify.. I think Ron is full of s***.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
Let me clarify.. I think Ron is full of s***.

Yeah but Ron is not the first person to say Bariod is a racist...so it wouldn't shock me but also Ron is very much embellishing the story I am very sure of that.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
Any support on this claim? Or just your spidey sense? :huh

I have no reason to prove or disprove this quote...

Spidey sense I guess.

And the fact that first, Bonds has over the years signed a lot of charity stuff brought to him by 2 "white guys" that run several of the MLBPAA outings.. and second I've watched him sign for "white people".

I don't know why.. but in the past year Ron has become a whore of sorts.. from pushing his benches on anyone that stops to look at them at Comiskey.. and now with this book. He's just rubbing me the wrong way lately.. :huh

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
Yeah but Ron is not the first person to say Bariod is a racist...so it wouldn't shock me but also Ron is very much embellishing the story I am very sure of that.

That I agree with.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
I don't truly believe a better man could carry it than Hank Aaron.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I read Hank's book, I Had A Hammer, and I gained so much more respect for the man than I already had. For what he went through on a regular basis, he deserves to be remembered for what he accomplished and how he carried himself throughout his life and career.

Hank is pure class, and it would be a damn shame if his exact opposite were to pass him for the all-time home run record.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Does anyone else get the feeling Ron made that whole entire thing up?

I don't. Putting Williams, Baker, etc., at the scene by name suggests that he's fairly confident of the facts or it could bite him in the arse down the line.

I don't suppose Bonds is like this all the time, and I also get that "I don't sign for whites" is hyperbole as Steff's comments confirm. It does seem like Kittle happened to catch him on a major asshole day rather than just a normal ninor asshole day.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Does anyone else get the feeling Ron made that whole entire thing up?

Not as much as he's milking it. I would guess he had a beef with Ron on something else and tried to be a smartass in a sense. Bonds, no matter how many times I say it I know it will never be accepted by many, is not the asshole he's portrayed to be. I wish for any one of you to see him at the park and ask him for an autograph.. 9 times out of 10 he'd give it. He really does have a disposition close to Frank. Very joking, very friendly, very outspoken, very helpful, etc.. he's gotten a nasty rep just like Frank.. difference is he doesn't give a s*** and adds fuel to the fire on purpose.