Cliff Politte for setup man

Dam8610

Cliff Politte just finished off another solid outing in which he went 1 2/3 without allowing a baserunner. I say he should be given the 8th inning when the Sox are trying to hold a lead and get the ball to Dustin to shut the door. He's got microscopic batting averages allowed whether he's facing lefties or righties and Hermanson is the only pitcher on the team with a lower ERA. I think Politte in the 8th followed by Hermanson in the 9th would = many White Sox winners.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Cliff Politte just finished off another solid outing in which he went 1 2/3 without allowing a baserunner. I say he should be given the 8th inning when the Sox are trying to hold a lead and get the ball to Dustin to shut the door. He's got microscopic batting averages allowed whether he's facing lefties or righties and Hermanson is the only pitcher on the team with a lower ERA. I think Politte in the 8th followed by Hermanson in the 9th would = many White Sox winners.

I can't argue with anything you just said. Politte has been fabolous all year.

He's certainly making a great case for it. As of late he's been nothing short of awesome while Marte has been fighting it.

I am for this. Politte has been nails. He has a very crisp exploiding fastball and has a filthy slider. He can K and the biggest thing is he doesnt walk people.

Marte has filthy stuff and can be explosive. But he gets in these little funks from time to time where he short arms the fastball and either walks a bunch of guys or gets behind and meatballs one in.

Marte in the 7th, Politte in the 8th and Hermy in the 9th

Cotts/Viz/Tee ball stand in the 6th

If they keep it up and the sox have a one two punch like that we could be deadly. Just think, how good have the Twins been since having Romero, Guardado and Rincon, Nathan. We are in lots of one run games and to go into the 8th knowing they can shut the door for the win most of the time would be unbelievable.

I couldn't agree with you more.

It seems Ozzie has a thing about Marte against lefthanded batters, though. After yesterday and today it's easy to jump on Marte, but no pitcher can go every game without giving up a run. As many one run games as the Sox play, it's easy to blame a reliever who gives up a tying or leading run. If Marte continues to struggle, then he deserves to lose his job, but in general he's been fine.

Ahh... was just this past off-season that people did not want politte's option picked up let alone be resigned to a new deal.

Well, I admit that I was one of them. He was great against righties last season but he sucked against lefties. This year he is getting both righties and lefties out. :notworthy

The biggest thing with Politte this year is that he is aggressive in the strikezone. He has filthy stuff and trusts it. If he gives up a homer, its because they hit 95-97 mph filthy stuff. Its not because he walked a bunch of guys and then go beat on dunks/dinks and crap.

IF YOU BEAT ME ON MY BEST, TIP MY HAT. IF YOU BEAT ME BECAUSE I s*** MYSELF KICK ME IN THE NUTS. THE SLOGAN OF OUR 2005 BULLPEN

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Ahh... was just this past off-season that people did not want politte's option picked up let alone be resigned to a new deal.

What are you talking about? We Sox fans stand behind our guy's no matter what.

For real, Cliff is making me eat serious crow this year, and I don't mind it one bit.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Well, I admit that I was one of them.  He was great against righties last season but he sucked against lefties.  This year he is getting both righties and lefties out. :notworthy

Politte was interviewed by Farmer today, and he credits adding a change to lefties for his success. Whatever he's doing, it's working.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)

Anyone dare to look at some of the threads and things said about him during ST, I remember it wasn't pretty. Cliff and Damaso should both be used in the 7th and 8th, they've both been very good and both have earned that role imo.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Politte was interviewed by Farmer today, and he credits adding a change to lefties for his success. Whatever he's doing, it's working.

Going right after the hitters, he's been ahead of the hitters all year and that's been the main reason imo for his success.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)

I'm pretty sure I was in the boat. I'll readily admit that I thought Hermy was a weak signing too.

Feels good to be wrong :headbang