Lineup thread

southsideirish71

I posted something similiar earlier in a thread. But we see a lot of lineup juggling lately with Ozzie. I think this is the best lineup with the current roster with Frank. I think this lineup has less holes in it and has a reasonable chance to keep our top 3 hitters on base with a proven RBI guy behind them(frank)

Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Arow CF

Thomas DH

Konkero 1B

Dye RF

AJ C

Cruddy 3B

Uribe SS

Pods and Gooch set the table. They have been clutch all year long.

Arow in the 3 hole. I know Thomas loves the 3 hole. But we need his stick. If he bats three they will pitch around him to get to Pauly.

Arow will get tons of fastballs which he kills. He has been hitting the ball with power to RF and the CF this year. He is coming around.

Frank should thrive in the 4 hole. He will have men on who are all fast. He should see some good pitches because of the guys being on in front on him.

Konerko will have the bases loaded a lot. Hopefully he starts to use more of the field and actually converts some of these runs. If he doesnt flip him and Dye. Dead is showing signs of life. He is still a bit too pull happy, but he is hitting a lot of line drives.

AJ provides the saftey valve and is a tough out.

Cruddy hits 8th so we can have Uribe be the second lead off guy. I dont want to start off to many innings with Cruddy. Plus Uribe is faster than Cruddy by a long shot and clogging the bases up in front of our fast guys isnt a good idea.

Now when you spell Everett for Thomas. You put Dye in the 4 hole and Everett in the 5 hole.

When gload gets back it gives us a good guy to spell Konerko.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 31, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
That's what I'd like to see, Aaron needs to stay in that 3 hole, everytime Aaron's batting 3rd the offense seems to click.

I don't like all the righties in a row and would have AJ ahead of someone. I'd probably have Thomas/Konerko/Arow or Dye (whoevers hottest at the time)/Pyrz/the other

The good thing about this lineup is that only Pods and Iguchi seem to be "overachieving". If Dye and Konerko (plus a healthy Thomas) can produce in the middle of the lineup, things will be looking up considerably. You have to figure that Rowand and Pods will continue to do the job. if Iguchi can hover around .290 with decent power numbers, the top and middle will be looking solid. Now, I'm less sold on Uribe, not sold at all on Crede. Crede has had more than enough patience displayed with him and its disapointing the SOX didn't have a legit backup plan coming into this season for 3B. AJ will continue to do his thing.

I agree, the lineup is looking better. I just pray that Pods doesn't revert to his form of last year, because he is the key to this lineup. He needs to keep getting up base.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
I'm probably crazy, but I would like to see Gload in there instead of Konerko. Would give the lineup more balance because he's another lefty, and one that is more of a line-drive hitter.

Once gload gets back konerko hits the bench for two days at the very least in my opinion. His numbers did improve from may to april but it was honestly pretty hard for them not to. I do believe gload is doing very well on his rehab assignment and i would be a fresh change.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
I don't like all the righties in a row and would have AJ ahead of someone.  I'd probably have Thomas/Konerko/Arow or Dye (whoevers hottest at the time)/Pyrz/the other

We need a big time left handed power bat in this line-up and carl everett is not the answer. Once everett is sitting we will only have two lefties in our every day line-up. One is the catalyst podsednik and the other is the always steady pierz ( would like to see him raise that average to what he is capable of). The name we always here around here is abreu but the chances of that are very unlikely. The reason i think that is because just turned 31 and is one of the best all around players in the game. He is also far and away their number one star attraction and he is a player you build around. Sure he signed an albatross contract but his numbers do seem to back it up... if kw ever had a deal on the table and all thjat stood in the way was the money you better believe he would do it.

If you look around the league every playoff caliber team has a big time left handed hitter batting anywhere from 3-5.

We need a big time left handed power bat in this line-up and carl everett is not the answer. Once everett is sitting we will only have two lefties in our every day line-up. One is the catalyst podsednik and the other is the always steady pierz ( would like to see him raise that average to what he is capable of). The name we always here around here is abreu but the chances of that are very unlikely. The reason i think that is because just turned 31 and is one of the best all around players in the game. He is also far and away their number one star attraction and he is a player you build around. Sure he signed an albatross contract but his numbers do seem to back it up... if kw ever had a deal on the table and all thjat stood in the way was the money you better believe he would do it.

If you look around the league every playoff caliber team has a big time left handed hitter batting anywhere from 3-5.

Adam Dunn, but that would never happen. He doesn't fit Ozzie's belief in good defense at every position. He would suck in RF anyways. I think the best we can hope for is making a trade for a guy like Mackowiak who can play everywhere.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)

I agree with that on all levels. Its just the Phils aren't going to deal him unless they are out of contention and even then they have a lot of money invested and I'm pretty sure the fans are still supporting the Phillies so its not like they are desperate to cut payroll.

Abreu is a better version of Garret Anderson. Huff would also be a real nice addition and would fit the bill. Plus Huff could play 3rd (albeit a lousy 3rd). The thing I wonder is whether the Sox would deal Dye this year. I mean if Dye comes into his own he will hit .270 with 30 HR and near 100 RBI.

But your 100% right, the Sox need a good left handed hitter. If they had one more hitter in the middle of the lineup from the left side (to go with AJP) than I think this lineup would be set.

Ross Gload: Individual Stats (Batting) 
Team       From   To   G AB R  H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS  OBP  SLG  AVG  
Charlotte  05/23 05/30 7 26 7 10 1  0   1  2  14  6  8  0  0 .500 .538 .385

Gload been doin ok on rehab, K's are high but I still want Gload over OMIT on this team.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)

Gload been doin ok on rehab, K's are high but I still want Gload over OMIT on this team.

Gload is a real asset. He's just a hits machine and man did he dominate last year down the stretch. I love Gload though (he's one of my favorite players). I've liked him since I first saw him down in Charlotte. Just a fun hitter to watch because he just goes with the flow and takes what the pitcher gives him (never trying to do too much).

8 K's doesn't look bad when it's accompanied by 6 BB's.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
8 K's doesn't look bad when it's accompanied by 6 BB's.

Agreed, just never like to see a 3 ABs per K ratio...thats one thing that always stands out to me...Borchard was 1 K per 3.5 ABs or so, and that was hellaciously bad. But not sayin Gload is anything like that! I'm sure its just him getting the swing back.

Twins with morneua and mauer.

Yankees with matsui ( even though he has the ability to put up monster numbers unlike carl.

Red sox with ortiz.

Orioles have palmeiro but that is probally a stretch.

Angels with anderson.

Rangers with blaylock and teixeira

Cardinals with walker and edmonds.

Marlins have delgado ( been doing awesome this year)

Braves has chipper jones ( nice bounce back season you could say).

Arizona who i don't think is very good but has stuck in it thus far has gonzalez and green.

Dodgers with bradley and drew ( who is struggling average wise but still walks like a mother f***er) and you can even make a case for choi if he ever got regular playing time.

Padres klesko and giles.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
Twins with morneua and mauer.

Yankees with matsui ( even though he has the ability to put up monster numbers unlike carl.

Red sox with ortiz.

Orioles have palmeiro but that is probally a stretch.

Angels with anderson.

Rangers with blaylock and teixeira

Cardinals with walker and edmonds.

Marlins have delgado ( been doing awesome this year)

Braves has chipper jones ( nice bounce back season you could say).

Arizona who i don't think is very good but has stuck in it thus far has gonzalez and green.

Dodgers with bradley and drew ( who is struggling average wise but still walks like a mother f***er) and you can even make a case for choi if he ever got regular playing time.

Padres klesko and giles.

Holy f***!! Wrong Thread!!??

Err, I think... :huh:

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Holy f***!! Wrong Thread!!??

Err, I think... :huh:

I was basically responding to myself about this...

Anyway, playoff caliber teams have very good left handed hitters batting some where between 3-5 and i don't see anyone on this team at the moment that can do so.

Ahh...gotcha Q....caught me a lil off guard there....right now we have NO 3-4-5 that would strike fear into the oppositions pitchers. I'm scared that when Frank is here 100%, teams won't hesitate to walk him, knowing that Kong and Dye aren't exactly world beaters. Hopefully they can at least be pseudo-threats behind the big man.

On the topic of LH power hitters, and I almost hate to bring this up, but how about Jim Thome?

You almost instantly have to fear roiding due to his poor numbers this year, but I very much doubt that is the case and that he has just had a rough go of it thus far. That being said, his contract gets ugly later on, which is yet another reason why Philly would trade him. He is much more tradeable in my mind than Abreu(Abreu being the better all around player, Philly having a young 1Bman in Howard in the minors who they have had for seemingly forever), and we'd be getting ourselves in the same sticky situation financially either way.

Abreu tends to fit Ozzie's style better, but it would be near impossible to trade for Abreu, while it would be possible to get Thome. Also note that Abreu has a NTC, and Thome does not(though I'm not exactly positive how the 10/5 works...if it is 10 years in the league, and 5 years with the same team, even if not his current team, then Thome does).

With the previous talk of Helton being thrown around, and talk of Abreu from the Phillies being thrown around, and both of them having ugly contracts...I just threw the s*** together and got Thome out of the whole thing.

A little off-topic here - the Phillies are phucked phinancially(will not do again :P ) in the next few years if they do not do something. As of right now, they have $49.5 million committed to 4 players in '07($15 mill to Abreu, $14 mill to Thome, $13 mill to Burrell, and $7.5 mill to Lieber). I gotta feeling a bat will be heading out of Philly at the trade deadline this year if s*** does not get straightened out in a hurry over there, and I don't think it will.

call me crazy but i really wouldnt mind seeing

pods

iguchi

thomas

arow(brake up some double plays)

konerko

AJ

Dye

uribe/harris

crede/uribe

i would also like to see a lot more harris at SS. I also think uribe/widger should play at 3b depending on whos hot., Harris at CF shifting arow to right once in a while would be nice too(unless dye picks it up)

BTW if harris proves to be a liabilty at SS we could always play uribe still.

he is fast and walks a bunch and i think he might be learning to steal more with some new coaches. ohhh and he hits lefty.

and if he can play SS making ozuna(maybe AAA) expendable if harris can play SS

timo as no place.

walker should get more mop up innings(just to see he cant be much worse than viz) while he is still up here and if he is no better o well.

i think it maybe time for a call up baj/adkins(maybe he is not a sp, but solid last year in the pen.) and maybe put viz/shinjo on the d/l with minor league stint

Edited by soxfan420