Was Frank brought back too soon?

chitownsportsfan

I know Frank looked good at the plate in his first game back in The Show, but he clearly was not in good enough physical condition to play if he already tweaked a hip flexor. In my opinion, the sox were playing well enough without Frank and they should have showed more patience with him, and demanded that he be in every-day game shape before they showed him some action.

Now, I just hope that this isn't a nagging injury that Frank could have avoided by getting more at bats in the no pressure enviroment of AAA. Frank's no spring chicken, and a few more sprints from first to third might have loosened him up a little more for when he really needs it, that is, with the Sox.

I think the Sox should have shown more patience and not listened to Frank's opinion that he "was ready". Clearly, he wasn't ready to spring around the bases when it counted, although his swing looked fine.

this being said, I'm rooting for me to be wrong and for frank to return tommorow pain free, and remain pain free all the way to the world series.

And he wouldn't of tweaked his hip flexor down in Charlotte? The Sox were incredibly careful with Frank. His hip issue is completely seperate from the foot. I could even tell he was running much like the Frank of old (not that I'm saying he's fast, but he looked alright).

He also looked real good at the plate (he hit the ball hard a few times; I was expecting nothing). It was just a tough luck situation.

I don't know, he could have tweaked it at Charlotte--but he didn't. IMO, because he wasn't forced to sprint around the bases. Frank's too pround of a competitor, and he's not going to lope around out there, even if his body is telling him to take it easy. For this reason, I think managment should have been taking his "I'm ready" with a grain of salt.

He did look good at the plate though. He got around on this inside pitches, and that's a good sign.

I'm not worried. We won last night's game. That was the game I thought we really needed Frank for. Tomorrow we face Paul Byrd, who is very tough on righties. Obviously, we will miss Frank but I don't mind Everett as our DH tomorrow. Then we have an off-day on Thursday and I think Frank will be back in the lineup on Friday against the Indians.

Edited by Jabroni

Frank self-admittedly tweeked his hip flexor because "he got excited and ran too fast"

Think about that for a second. Frank ran too fast. Look out Paul Konerko.

Yeah I don't think there is any doubt that if he pulled something from running too fast, he came back too soon.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 06:17 AM)
Frank self-admittedly tweeked his hip flexor because "he got excited and ran too fast"

Think about that for a second.  Frank ran too fast.  Look out Paul Konerko.

Yeah I don't think there is any doubt that if he pulled something from running too fast, he came back too soon.

Frank with a broken foot was still faster than Paul and AJ.

He's a two (some will say three) time MVP. He's been on this team for 15 years. He was arguably the best hitter of the 90's. I think he has the right to say "I am ready." I know Ozzie doesn't want to hurt the team by not bringing somebody up sooner than they are ready, but only Frank knows if he's ready. What's the difference if he hurts his hip in AAA or with the Sox? Either way, he was going to have to turn on the "jets" and run. He's still swinging well and has 6 days to rest when we go to San Diego and Colorado. He'll be fine.

He's definitely NOT Juan Gonzalez.

Edited by TheDybber

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
He's a two (some will say three) time MVP.  He's been on this team for 15 years.  He was arguably the best hitter of the 90's.  I think he has the right to say "I am ready."  I know Ozzie doesn't want to hurt the team by not bringing somebody up sooner than they are ready, but only Frank knows if he's ready.  What's the difference if he hurts his hip in AAA or with the Sox?  Either way, he was going to have to turn on the "jets" and run.  He's still swinging well and has 6 days to rest when we go to San Diego and Colorado.  He'll be fine.

Im sick of that guy on the Hot List Brian Kenny compairing them! Was it just me or was that Frank last night pitch hitting,and drawing a walk! Not on the DL! :fight

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Well, here you go guys:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Don't want to toot my own horn--wait yes I do.  Frank was not 100%, and now its unlikely he'll see any action other than pinch hitting for awile.

Great.

Yeah great you toot your own horn for saying that frank was brought back too early AFTER he got reinjured.

That's some accomplishment. Mom should be proud.

Frank's hip flexor changes nothing. He would have only been used as a pinch hitter in the National League parks anyway. He wasn't going to be playing 1B. This is such a non-issue. Hey at least he got Kevin Walker off the roster.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
He's a two (some will say three) time MVP.  He's been on this team for 15 years.  He was arguably the best hitter of the 90's.  I think he has the right to say "I am ready."  I know Ozzie doesn't want to hurt the team by not bringing somebody up sooner than they are ready, but only Frank knows if he's ready.  What's the difference if he hurts his hip in AAA or with the Sox?  Either way, he was going to have to turn on the "jets" and run.  He's still swinging well and has 6 days to rest when we go to San Diego and Colorado.  He'll be fine.

No he does not have that right. He can have input but it isn't just his decision. Anyone who watched him attempt to run knows he is not right. His left foot still hurts enough that he must change his gait to "run too fast." As I've stated many times before this has taken longer than it should so they need to be very careful and not jeopardize his career. Maybe they've all decided this is as good as it's going to get so he may as well try it. But he obviously can't play full speed in the condition his ankle is in.

Edited by ptatc

Anyone can strain a muscle doing anything - regardless of the shape they're in. Sure, the chances of injury increase with age and lack of conditioning, but we as fans are in no position to diagnose Frank's injury from watching replays. The bottom line is, Frank was cleared by Hermy and the doctor before returning. He was examined, tested, and has been working out. There is no way anyone can predict this type of injury occurring.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Anyone can strain a muscle doing anything - regardless of the shape they're in. Sure, the chances of injury increase with age and lack of conditioning, but we as fans are in no position to diagnose Frank's injury from watching replays. The bottom line is, Frank was cleared by Hermy and the doctor before returning. He was examined, tested, and has been working out. There is no way anyone can predict this type of injury occurring.

Sure you can predict it. When a guy must change his gait and limp while running, he will increase stress to other areas of the body and cause other problems.

He was obviously cleared to [lay before he went to Charlotte, however it appears he is not 100%. We just need to see how well he can deal with the problem.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 06:35 AM)
I know Frank looked good at the plate in his first game back in The Show, but he clearly was not in good enough physical condition to play if he already tweaked a hip flexor.  In my opinion, the sox were playing well enough without Frank and they should have showed more patience with him, and demanded that he be in every-day game shape before they showed him some action.

Now, I just hope that this isn't a nagging injury that Frank could have avoided by getting more at bats in the no pressure enviroment of AAA.  Frank's no spring chicken, and a few more sprints from first to third might have loosened him up a little more for when he really needs it, that is, with the Sox.

I think the Sox should have shown more patience and not listened to Frank's opinion that he "was ready".  Clearly, he wasn't ready to spring around the bases when it counted,  although his swing looked fine.

this being said, I'm rooting for me to be wrong and for frank to return tommorow pain free, and remain pain free all the way to the world series.

What makes you an expert??? ;)

You guys will debate over anything. Frank was brought back early because Everett was struggling & the WSox have 7 NL games after the CLE series.

The choice was bringing him back now where he can either DH or sub for DH or bring him back during the NL trip where he would only be used as a one-time PH.

The choice was obvious. The hip flexor was just as likely to happen at Charlotte as it was in Chicago. It had no bearing on the situation. Was he ready to play? Yes. Did that readliness reduce his risk of injury? No. At his age & with the surgeries he's had he's a health risk. He's like a classic Ford Mustang with a rusty axle & banged up wheelbase. The risk is always there.

He helped them win Mon's game & I'm sure he'll help them win a game vs CLE. That's what you wanted when you brought him up. Not to mention his presence alone on the team might help Everett break out of his slump.