Summer Reading Club.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished "Positively Fifth Street" By Jim McManus

For those of you into poker, this is a good read if you're looking for something other than strategy books. To briefly describe it, McManus was intending to do a report about women in the 2000 WSOP, as well as the Ted Binion Murder trial that was going on as well. However, he took his book advance to try and parlay his way into the actually WSOP Big Event himself...and the book covers all three of these stories and much more.

Pretty good read, I give it a 4 out of 5.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it......

Is it really that bad, Heads? My teacher who is usually pretty straight up with us told us it's pretty dry and boring, so I believe her.

But, I don't think anything is/was as boring as reading Emma (by Jane Austin, right?). Mercy, what a boring book...

I just finished East of Eden. It was pretty good, but really long. Plus, I had to do a research paper on it, so I know wayy to much about that book now.

I'm not gonna read anything but the newspaper over the summer, I read enough during the school year. Only 4 more days..

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
I just finished East of Eden. It was pretty good, but really long. Plus, I had to do a research paper on it, so I know wayy to much about that book now.

I'm not gonna read anything but the newspaper over the summer, I read enough during the school year. Only 4 more days..

I read East of Eden in 1996 one summer. Fell in love with Steinbeck over that book. Funny thing is that I still can't get through Grapes of Wrath.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
I read East of Eden in 1996 one summer. Fell in love with Steinbeck over that book. Funny thing is that I still can't get through Grapes of Wrath.

I really liked Travels With Charley--such a wonderful book. A perfect summer book too....

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
One of my favorites. You might also enjoy "Lonesome Traveler" by Jack Kerouac. It's a collection of short stories/vignettes of his own travels over the course of the fifties and sixties. Very much not like his speed fueled novels.

I will check that out. I wasn't the hugest fan of On the Road and the one with Karma in the title--but I'll check that one out.... Thanks!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Is it really that bad, Heads?  My teacher who is usually pretty straight up with us told us it's pretty dry and boring, so I believe her.

But, I don't think anything is/was as boring as reading Emma (by Jane Austin, right?).  Mercy, what a boring book...

Nothing at all of interest happened in JE.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Yes! I was thinking Karma Bums--but I knew it was wrong. You're wicked well read.

Thanks for the compliment. Steinbeck and Kerouac are a couple of my favorites. Only talk about what you know I guess. You might wanna check out "Subterranean Kerouac" a really good biography by one of his last editors.

I have been reading a ton this year.... all for fun. Maybe I should post the whole list.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
I have been reading a ton this year.... all for fun. Maybe I should post the whole list.

I'd like that, actually. I read more than I watch tv or movies. And, to be honest, I love suggestions.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
Did Kudlow and Cramer split up?

Mad Money is best when he just has all those people call in rapidfire.

Yeah, they split up when Cramer got his own show. They air back to back now. I like both of those guys because they are about the only 2 on CNBC with a pulse.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Yes! I was thinking Karma Bums--but I knew it was wrong. You're wicked well read.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
You're spending too much time on the east coast Soxy.

Can I offer you a pop to help return your normal midwestern drawl?

This is the funniest thing I've read in at least a week.

I'm reading a lot more history than is healthy right now -- just reread At Dawn We Slept which is very relevant to these times. I have too much fiction in the queue and too little time to read any of it. Life gets in the way, doesn't it?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
You're spending too much time on the east coast Soxy.

Can I offer you a pop to help return your normal midwestern drawl?

Oh, believe me, I've still got the Chicagoan in me. I still say pop and my nasal, nasal, nasal a's will be with me until the day I die (and probably even past that). Even today someone made fun of my accent, jealous bastard. :)

Here's what I've read so far this year:

(by ChiSoxyGirl's request)

John Kerry - A Call To Service

Richard Russo - Mohawk

Augusten Burroughs - Running with Scissors

Various Authors - Telling Tales

Jeffrey Eugenides - Middlesex

Paul Krugman - The Great Unraveling

Phillip Roth - Portnoy's Complaint

Steve Martin - The Pleasure of My Company

George Lakoff - Don't Think of an Elephant

Nick Hornby - The Polysyllabic Spree

Asne Seierstad - The Bookseller of Kabul

John Steinbeck - The Wayward Bus

Bill Bryson - In A Sunburned Country

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

Bill Bryson - Neither Here Nor There

Agar Nafisi - Reading Lolita in Tehran

John Clellon Holmes - Go

Thomas Frank - What's The Matter with Kansas?

Garrison Keillor - Lake Wobegon Summer 1956

Chun Sue - Beijing Doll

Currently reading:

Anne Lamotte - Travelling Mercies

Howard Zinn - A People's History of the United States

Edited by winodj

At the moment: Globalization and its discontents - Joseph E. Stiglitz.

Great book, he tells his experience in the World Bank and IMF. How IMF and US Treasury Secretary politics worsened the situation on Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea during the 1997-98 crisis in these countries.