*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
If some of you guys want the Sox to acquire fat contracts, how about Abreu?

I imagine it's just as likely for him to be traded to the Sox as is a trade of Chavez for just Crede and McCarthy.

I like Bobby... he would definitley be nice to have.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Chicago White Sox  Updated:06/02/2005

The White Sox are interested in Oakland 3B Eric Chavez and are apparently ready to part with 3B Joe Crede and top pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy to get him, says the Arlington Daily Herald.

Here's the source article from the Arlington Daily Herald...

"Whether rumor or reality, trade for Chavez would do wonders"

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Thursday, June 02, 2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/searchstory.asp?id=56482

A trade rumor usually is a joke. Laugh it off, and then wait for the next one to start circulating.

Last season, the White Sox were the focus of some real juicy trade rumors.

They were going to get Randy Johnson. They were going to get Carlos Delgado. They were going to get Cliff Floyd.

Well, the Sox wound up getting Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar — again — so that tells you about all you need to know about the rumor mill.

With that in mind, take this latest rumor with as many grains of salt as necessary. But don’t deny it has some serious bite.

The White Sox trade starting third baseman Joe Crede and top pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy to the Oakland Athletics for power-hitting, Gold Glove third baseman Eric Chavez.

There’s another rumor indicating the A’s also want minor-league outfielder Brian Anderson, but that’s not going to happen. So let’s just focus on the initial rumor.

If it’s true — and that’s a huge if — I’d make it today.

Chavez is having a terrible season; he was batting .218 with 4 home runs and 23 RBI heading into Wednesday’s game against the Tampa Devil Rays.

But the 27-year-old infielder is a proven performer. Entering the season, Chavez had a career .277 batting average, 163 home runs and 543 RBI in six years with Oakland. He also has won four straight Gold Gloves.

Want more?

Chavez missed 33 games last season with a broken bone in his right hand. He suffered the injury getting hit by a pitch from White Sox reliever Damaso Marte on June 1. Chavez wound up playing in 125 games and batted .276 with 29 HR and 77 RBI.

From 2001-03, when he established himself as one of the best third basemen in the game, Chavez averaged 32 home runs and 108 RBI while batting .282. He also hit the third-longest home run in U.S. Cellular Field history, a 490-foot shot off Gary Glover in 2001.

As for his character, which is almost as important as performance for the White Sox these days, Chavez is as solid as they come. He’d be a great fit in an already tight clubhouse.

Crede is a homegrown talent and still has the potential to blossom into an all-star caliber player. But the 27-year-old is off to another sluggish start and is simply not in the same league as Chavez.

As for McCarthy, the 21-year-old starter has been compared to Jack McDowell and Mark Prior. He has the raw stuff, poise and desire, but McCarthy has been serving up home run balls at a pretty alarming rate. He allowed 5 in 2 starts (10º innings) with the Sox and has given up 9 homers in 47¿ innings at Class AAA Charlotte.

There’s a good chance McCarthy will continue developing and one day achieve ace status.

But there’s a reason why this trade rumor is so appealing.

Simply put, general manager Kenny Williams is obsessed with getting the White Sox their first World Series championship since 1917. He is not interested in waiting for talent to maximize ability.

With Oakland already buried in the AL West basement, Chavez is there for the taking. And he wants out of Oakland so bad that he’s the one who apparently is fueling the trade rumor to the Sox.

Of course, there is one big catch. Chavez is only in the second season of a six-year, $66 million contract. But if the White Sox continue winning, the fans are going to be packing the Cell this summer.

And if Chavez is in the starting lineup, they’re going to watching a team that should be favored to win the World Series.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
If some of you guys want the Sox to acquire fat contracts, how about Abreu?

I imagine it's just as likely for him to be traded to the Sox as is a trade of Chavez for just Crede and McCarthy.

I think we could give up less to get Chavez. Abreu is just a beast right now. He is having the season everyone was expecting Beltran to have.

Plus I think 3b is a harder position to fill than corner outfielder. Abreu is def. the better player of the two, no doubt.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
So you wouldnt trade for Chavez because of the future possibility of having a cheap 5th starter in 2007???? So you are willing to not make THIS team the best it can be because of the future possibility of needing another pitcher....As for me, I think the time is now, this is the best start I have ever seen, and the best we may ever see.  I know KW feels the same way about this that I do, I want the title now!! And even if you dont feel that way, the Chavez trade will pay off for us in the next few years anyway especially with the stockpiling of arms we have in our system.  If you are so worried about 2007, that would be two years from now, thats exactly the amount of time it look BMAC to come up through the ranks, who says that Gio or Ray wont as well.  As for fixing Crede's swing---uh unless Beane has a magic wand up his ass, nothing is going to work.

It's not that plain cut. General Managers can't just create moves contingent on this year and ignore the future. Why exactly do we have a minor league system if all we're doing is using our products as trade bait? I know Quickman would say our system is terrible, and I agree, but you can't continue this trend.

If Chavez were hitting on par with career numbers, I might be more inclined to support the addition of McCarthy in this trade scenario. But he's not. And there's no guarantee he'll return to his old form this season, where, as you've pointed out, our team is best suited to contend.

McCarthy injurs himself or fails to improve, at worst, he's another bust prospect. Available money is spent on a stop-gap starter. Chavez injurs himself or fails to perform, which we've seen this year is a possibility, we're left with 30 million dollars.

This trade isn't just 'McCathy's 2007 potential' vs. 'Chavez' 2005-2009 numbers.' A lot of money is riding on Chavez. It may be my man-love for McCarthy, but I don't approve of trading him.

I'd rather trade for Randa and forsake up less of our future.

If including McCarthy in a trade is attributed to this "winning now at all costs" attitude, I expect you to remain quit in several seaons when there are two rotation holes and 2 million left to spend. Run up the figures for 2007. Podsednik won't come cheap anymore, Dye will be gone, Thomas might be gone, AJ will either be gone or command a higher salary. I'm sure there are numerous other players due substantial raises as well. If the payroll continues to increase, as it has these last few seasons, we're in good shape. But let's ask ourselves this: why doesn't Minnesota ever trade their well known, highliy touted prospects for "win-now" players? Last summer, couldn't Ryan have said to himself, "I have Morneau here ready to perform, but I'll trade him for Delgado because I want to win now."

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
This article is from today (June 2nd) so I'm not sure that's possible.

Me fail English? Thats unpossible!

Its possible, probably, and true. Its in there, I also commented earlier on the Arlington Heights Daily Herald name.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Id give up joe crede but i like having insurence in the minors with Bmac

I hear ya, if one of our starters broke down and B Mac was gone, we'd be screwed.

Package up Crede and all the deadweight up here and in the minors....but no B Mac.

Guest JimH

I'm looking at the print edition of the Daily Herald right now. Scott Gregor wrote a column this morning that this rumor exists. There is no mention of how and where the rumor got started, nor are there any comments from Oakland or White Sox sources.

Edited by JimH

Me fail English?  Thats unpossible!  

Its possible, probably, and true.   Its in there, I also commented earlier on the Arlington Heights Daily Herald name.

Which thread was it? I just looked at page 13 of the "E. Chavez on 670 The Score" thread and didn't see anything about this article. Got a link?

Edited by Jabroni