Aubrey Huff

southsideirish

Why don't we get him to play 3rd base? He is a notorious slow starter and I don't think that TB could be demanding that much for him. He is only 28 and makes about 5 million. Is he a possiblity?

As most, I would love to have Chavez, but I don't want to give up so much for him. I would much rather have someone like Huff if we didn't have to give up that much to get him. What do you guys think? I don't think we would have to give up BMac, Sweeney, or Anderson to get him as we would with Chavez.

Huff> chavez. He plays the outfield, first , third ( but bad) and of course he can dh. He is cheaper and will cost less than chavez in terms of both money and talent. Reason i feel he is cheaper is because the devil rays will not be able to resign him after next year due to the fact he will be getting 8 million upward per season... and teams like the devil rays do not hand that kind of money out. They are in a situation ( not exactly now but in time) that they really don't have any choice but to trade him and every team in baseball knows it. That can have an effect on what they demand in return.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Huff would make a great addition to the sox he would be easy to get too if the sox waited till july because the devil rays would love to get rid of the contract

They don't have to move him now.

Cincy will listen to trade offers on any of thier guys, how about Joe Ran............ just kidding, what about Ryan Freel. I think he's played some third base.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6685

We cant just go out and get all these people that are doin good right now like it was nothing.. be realistic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Why don't we get him to play 3rd base? He is a notorious slow starter and I don't think that TB could be demanding that much for him. He is only 28 and makes about 5 million. Is he a possiblity?

As most, I would love to have Chavez, but I don't want to give up so much for him. I would much rather have someone like Huff if we didn't have to give up that much to get him. What do you guys think? I don't think we would have to give up BMac, Sweeney, or Anderson to get him as we would with Chavez.

There is no doubt that TB will unload Huff before the trading deadline, and because he is a free agent next year, they won't be able to demand much of anything to get him. Joe Crede straight up would probably be a fair deal if we ate Huff's remaining 2005 salary. I'd be willing to give up Joe Borchard too if necessary in a bidding war for Huff's services.

But I'm concerned about whether Huff is legit at this point. This is the first season baseball has had even a semi-legitimate steroids testing program. As a result, I'm highly suspicious of anyone that shows a dramatic drop in their offensive totals this year, as Huff has done (and Chavez has done to an even greater extent).

Huff is not a notorious slow starter. I looked at his splits for the last couple of years, and yes he had one weak April, but otherwise the guy was remarkably consistent, month to month year to year. He's way off those numbers. Who's to say he wasn't taking something to help?

The good news is that Huff isn't on the market right now and probably won't be until the first of July at least. So we have another month to evaluate whether Huff will return to his consistent form or stay in the testing-regime doldrums. If he stays in the latter category, I'd stay clear even if we're only renting him until October.

But if he rebounds, then by all means trade Crede and put Huff at 3B. His defense there isn't great, but he's a lefty that would be a nice addition anywhere from 3rd-6th in our lineup.

(Steer clear of Chavez at all costs. He's showing worse testing-year doldrums and comes with a big contract. That would be like trading for Jason Giambi after you knew he couldn't hit anymore.)

QUOTE(Seesox @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
We cant just go out and get all these people that are doin good right now like it was nothing.. be realistic

what are you talking about? Who are all these people we are getting? The Cincy GM has made it known that no one on the team is untouchable. Freel was good last year too. He is a 29 year old who is playing just his second full season so there is a good chance he is not in thier future plans.