Our manager is clueless with the bullpen

aboz56

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
In all honesty, that's probably pretty accurate.  It's kinda sad though that we have so many guys that need to be off the team.

Yes, it is not an enviable position to be in.

The more I think about it, if the intent was indeed to test Walker, he was put into the perfect situation. Bringing in a rookie for mop up doesn't really accomplish much if you are trying to gauge his potential. It was do or die for Walker, and of course we know how that turned out. Though Shingo and Vizcaino are struggling (to put it mildly), their capabilities are already known.

I'm with everyone who claims the move was boneheaded, from the standpoint of winning the game, but by looking at the big picture, I can understand what management may have been doing. It is still very early and the Sox still have a four game lead. If Ozzie makes these same calls in August, I'll be the first to call for his head, but I give him a (tentative) pass for tonight.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)

The more I think about it, if the intent was indeed to test Walker, he was put into the perfect situation. Bringing in a rookie for mop up doesn't really accomplish much if you are trying to gauge his potential. It was do or die for Walker, and of course we know how that turned out. Though Shingo and Vizcaino are struggling (to put it mildly), their capabilities are already known.

I'm with everyone who claims the move was boneheaded, from the standpoint of winning the game, but by looking at the big picture, I can understand what management may have been doing. It is still very early and the Sox still have a four game lead. If Ozzie makes these same calls in August, I'll be the first to call for his head, but I give him a (tentative) pass for tonight.

Just a question: are you referring to Walker as a rookie?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Maybe the White Sox will bring up Bobby Jenks for Walker now. I thought they should've done that in the first place if they were going to bring up Walker. I don't like that guy one bit. If only his name was Tyler and not Kevin.

Please make it stop.

Bobby Jenks is this team's future closer/set-up man and he could be one for the ages.

Don't touch that with a ten foot pole. If you are looking for help from the minors, it should come from Soxtalk's own prodigal son.

Vizcaino wasn't that bad tonight. He was more effective than Walker and Hermanson. He should have been brought in to start the 7th, but the Angels had 3 or 4 lefties up, and Ozzie loves lefty/lefty matchups no matter how poor his LHP is.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)

Did you by chance make a call into the post game show?

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)

MOP UP?!?!?! AS I RECALL WE HAD THE LEAD WHEN WALKER CAME IN.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:31 AM)
Maybe the White Sox will bring up Bobby Jenks for Walker now. I thought they should've done that in the first place if they were going to bring up Walker. I don't like that guy one bit. If only his name was Tyler and not Kevin.

Jenks is too good to be brought up now. If anyone, take Baj up.

But noone will be brought up, due to the already overflowing roster space.