Our manager is clueless with the bullpen

aboz56

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
If you would've rather seen Politte and Marte even though they pitched consecutive days, raise your hand.  I'm so sick of babying bullpen arms.

Sick of ''babying'' pitchers period. A starter hits 100 pitches... oh nos his arm is gonna fall off. A relief pitcher hits 30 pitches... oh nos his arm is gonna fall off. Pitch counts are a bunch of bs to me.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Have y'all ever thought that Ozzie is trying to get these guys some playing time in critical situations to see what they do?

Have you ever thought that Kevin Walker's only appearances at US Cellular should be as a spectator, not a player. :P

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
Have y'all ever thought that Ozzie is trying to get these guys some playing time in critical situations to see what they do?

That's the worst f***ing excuse ever then. That's an excuse commonly used by coaches/managers when they're trying to cover their ass.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
For the record, the callers are murdering Ozzie on the post-game radio show.

'

What, just so spineless Melton can say something about our glowing record or best team in baseball etc.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Sick of ''babying'' pitchers period. A starter hits 100 pitches... oh nos his arm is gonna fall off. A relief pitcher hits 30 pitches... oh nos his arm is gonna fall off. Pitch counts are a bunch of bs to me.

You sound like Dusty Baker.

In game 1 Brantley was flat out wrong... Bringing back Buehrle is a fine move. Bringing in Marte to face McPhereson was the right move too. After that you could make an argument that he should have gone to Hermanson, but Brantley's argument was erroneous. It sounded like a former closer who thinks that saves are automatic. That the other team isn't any good, like they're not a bunch of professional hitters or something. Brantley was just whining to hear himself talk. He thinks "closers" are only to be used to get the last three outs of a game that you're leading by 3 or fewer runs. That's just dumb, not effective use of your pen. You're limiting the effectiveness of your best reliever by not necessarily putting him in the highest leverege situations.

Tonight, and I didn't hear, because I'm local, he probably liked bringing in walker because he had a 0.00 ERA. We all knew Walker was a bad move. He had a 0.00 ERA despite pitching like crap.

The argument that Hermy wouldn't do as well because it wasn't a save situation is a red herring straw man piece of crap argument. How did he get guys out before he was the closer Jeff?

I felt the same way, but I felt that Hermy was going to give up runs because he looked like crap recording the save in his last outing vs. the Angels, allowing towering outs to Molina and somebody else.

Did K-Rod allow a run just so it felt like a save situation, Jeff? Brantley is boob.

Actually, Brentley's arguement is a Questionable Cause fallacy, not a straw man or red herrring, which are two seperate logical fallacies.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)

Is walker really part of the long term plan this year? Do we really plan on sticking timo at first base at any time this season? He should be gone when gload gets back so there is really no reason for ozzie to chance timo making an error ( which he did and led to two runs) and that possibly losing us the game.

Ozzie can make injury-prone El Duque throw 116 and 118 pitches in 2 straight outings but he is apparently afraid to overwork Marte. What a f***ing joke.

Went to the game. Sick to my stomach. Again again and again, Ozzie doesn't know jack about the bullpen or pitching. He's turning into Dusty Baker when it comes to that. And to bring in Luis Vizcaino or Kevin Walker is ludicrous and should never be done in a tight game. Maybe he should just be a bench coach because he's a great motivator and keeps the team loose. In fact I think he did a better job last year of managing. 7 runs should win you the game.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
I could say the same for you and just about everyone else in this thread who thinks they know everything about not only what is happening, but also what will happen and what should have happened.

Right on. On the one hand everyone is pointing out our bullpen sucks and on the other they are wondering why our only effective 2 or 3 pithers can't pitch every night. I cringed when Walker came out, but the season is long, it was the 7th and we didn't have Marte, Cotts and Politte available. Somebody has to pitch, so he brings in the unknwon lefty. It didn't surprise me that he got rocked, but the Sox seem a little thin at the moment with the bullpen. I'm sure that Ozzie would wave his magic wand and replace Walker and Viz with effective relievers if he could. Perhaps a tiny bit of hat tipping could go to the Angels at the moment as well. Like Texas, they seem to be attaining their hitting eye. Too bad Uribe was a hair out front, or we would of had our greatest ending in a season of great endings.

Ozzie is managing like every game isn't important, and that it's the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs. We're going to need every single game possible by the end of the season. The Twins aren't going anywhere, and are likely the favorite to win the division right now. Their bullpen is 100 times better than ours right now.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
You sound like Dusty Baker.

No his philosophy is you must throw over 130 pitches if you have arm troubles because that's the only way people of the sun will get stronger. It's science.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:58 AM)
Perhaps a tiny bit of hat tipping could go to the Angels at the moment as well.  Like Texas, they seem to be attaining their hitting eye. 

They got meatball after meatball from Walker. Even the Sox would have likely scored against someone like Walker pitching. How many times are we supposed to tip our cap to different pitchers or hitters?

ok, but how many of you have been b****ing for three weeks that PK needed a day off. Who do you put in there?

Granted, Timo wouldn't be my fist choice, but I also think that Ozzie is putting these guys in situations to see what they do in the long term.

As for Walker, that was a dips*** move too, but at the same time, you have to see what the kid does. Maybe not for now, but certainly for later.

I'm NOT defending Oz, but there can be explanations on the other side of things.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
WHo should have gone?

I hated Walker going too but.

Marte, Cotts, Politte have all been worked.

Hermanson can't go in the 7th.

Viz sucks.

I bet Widger woulda volunteered.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Actually, Brentley's arguement is a Questionable Cause fallacy, not a straw man or red herrring, which are two seperate logical fallacies.

Yeah I never paid attention in any of those classes. I figured I would combine two of them to make one super-fallacy

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:59 AM)
ok, but how many of you have been b****ing for three weeks that PK needed a day off.  Who do you put in there?

Granted, Timo wouldn't be my fist choice, but I also think that Ozzie is putting these guys in situations to see what they do in the long term.

If Timo is our long-term 1b, then I will become a Cubs fan. That would be as painful to me as chopping off my arm. You know what? If you don't have a replacement at the position, don't sit the player out then.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)
killing him for using Walker and Perez.

And they just announced that Walker is on his way to Charlotte -- officially.

I think they gave him bus fare.

And there you have your answer as to why he went out tonight.