Cubs pitcher pegs protected bird

southsider2k5

The Cubs demoted Class A Daytona pitcher Jae-kuk Ryu after the prospect injured an osprey with a baseball before Monday night's game in Daytona Beach, Fla.

The bird, which had been nesting with its mate and a brood of chicks on top of a 40-foot light pole over left field, was treated for a serious eye injury Tuesday.

Ryu may face animal-cruelty charges from the incident. Ospreys are protected by the state of Florida, and wounding or killing one could be punishable by a fine of up to $500 and 60 days in jail.

Oneri Fleita, the Cubs' director of player development, said Ryu would be sent to Class A Lansing, a step down from Daytona in the minor-league hierarchy. The South Korean-born Ryu was considered a top prospect at Daytona.

"Right now he has been taken off that roster and we're sending him to Lansing," Fleita said Wednesday. "In terms of everything else, we're waiting to gather all the information."

The bird was being treated with anti-inflammatory medication. Fleita said an auction of items autographed by Cubs players will be held Friday in Daytona, with proceeds going to the National Wildlife Foundation. Daytona's owners also will match the proceeds with their own donation.

I guess I should know better than to cut and paste the article of the company that owns the Cubs... Yes he threw at it intentionally. This is from ESPN.

A minor league pitcher might face animal cruelty charges for injuring a protected bird with a thrown baseball.

Jae-kuk Ryu, a 19-year-old South Korean pitcher for the Class-A Daytona Cubs, knocked an osprey from its perch during pregame practice Monday night.

The team announced Wednesday night that it sent Ryu to Lansing, Mich. of the Class-A Midwest League.

The male bird's eye was seriously injured. Ospreys are recognized by the state as a species of special concern, meaning their habitats are vulnerable. Anyone who wounds or kills an osprey can be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $500 and 60 days in jail.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is investigating and plans to submit its findings to the state attorney's office next week, spokeswoman Joy Hill said.

"We've received a number of calls from an outraged public. I just talked to one woman; she wants him deported," Hill said. " have zero tolerance for this kind of thing."

Ryu isn't the first ballplayer to target a bird with a thrown ball. On Aug. 4, 1983, Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield killed a seagull in Toronto with a warmup throw. The Ontario police charged him with animal cruelty, although the charge was later dropped.

The Chicago Cubs, who signed Ryu two years ago, are conducting their own investigation to determine how the pitcher will be punished.

"I can assure you it would be more than the average citizen will receive," farm director Oneri Fleita said. "The average citizen certainly wouldn't be demoted or docked pay or fined or whatever it might be. It was certainly something we don't condone, and we will make sure that the matter is rectified to the best of our ability."

Ryu was not available for comment Wednesday. He has an 0-1 record and 3.05 ERA in four starts, with 22 strikeouts in 20-2/3 innings.

Daytona general manager Buck Rogers said the team will hold a fund-raiser for the Animal Clinic of Edgewater on Friday night. The Chicago Cubs will provide autographed balls for auction, and the Daytona Cubs will donate $1 for every fan in attendance.

I eat meat and fish and think PETA is nuts and hunting is just fine and dandy. Wanton cruelty is unacceptable. Florida has some of the best wildlife in the USA. I just love that state from the Panhandle to the Everglades. What a jerk. What a Cub.

Guest hotsoxchick1

so this was not christensen????? :huh: or is this another case of pitchers gone wild???????? :huh: what the hell are the cubs hiring for their staff these days?? geez no wonder thier fans run amuck when they are sprung from that over priced beer garden.. look at what they have for role models......woods pees outside on the side of buildings.. soso hits his wife with rum bottles..... christensen and this ryu pitch at people and animals with intent to harm... wtf.........they should be wearing horizontal stripes on their jerseys............. ;) :headbang

From what I've heard it took him six throws to hit the bird, so yes, it was most definately intentional.

As for deportation, that may be a little harsh but I'm sure he is here on some sort of work permit being from South Korea. Anyone know if commiting a misdeamor is grounds for deportation?

depotation follows any crime for which moral character is involved - and intentionally throwing at an animal or bird just for the hell of it, especially when it takes 6 tries if that is right as reported here, and is an endangered species - if those who want to decide to, this can b a crime involving moral character.

There is no excuse for throwing at a bird, a mesting bird, an osprey. Those are magnificant creatures. I live in hunting country (western Michigan) and no one here would think at all about going after a bird like that just for the hell of it.