Frank could be headed for the DL...

Jabroni

"Notes: Thomas listing again toward DL

Upcoming Interleague Play a factor for ailing DH"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- The more Frank Thomas talked prior to Wednesday night's series finale against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, the more the veteran designated hitter sounded as if he might be headed back to the disabled list.

But "might" is the key word in this situation.

Thomas said that a twinge still existed in the area between his groin and hip on the right side, and the plan was to give him at least two more days off with Thursday's break in the action. The goal is to have Thomas playing at close to 100 percent, where both the new injury and his rehabbed left ankle are concerned, so as not to overcompensate and make either problem worse.

Friday against Cleveland would be Thomas' targeted return. When asked if Friday was a sure thing, Thomas could not commit. In fact, Thomas didn't commit to anything in the immediate future.

"If I have to go back to the disabled list and take 15 days off, then I might have to," Thomas said. "Who knows? I know those National League games are coming next week. We will definitely check in on Friday. I won't hide anything.

"I was running better than I am right now. It's a step back with the running. But if they need me to pinch-hit, I'll be ready to do it."

Putting Thomas on the disabled list actually would make perfect sense for the White Sox. The team could activate Ross Gload, the left-handed-hitting first baseman currently batting .345 on a Minor League rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte, to take Thomas' place on the roster. The White Sox also could make Thomas' move retroactive to Tuesday, meaning he could return later in the next homestand against either Arizona or the Dodgers.

It also means that Thomas would miss Interleague Play in Colorado and San Diego, where he would be nothing more than a pinch-hitter for six games. Thomas has been keeping his batting stroke sharp through constant pregame hitting, but he also could make another rehab trip to Charlotte with this being a new injury. The assignment would not pick up from where his last journey stopped, with an entirely new 20-day possibility on the docket.

Of course, Thomas won't need close to the 20 days. In fact, Thomas might not miss any time at all. The decision will come soon from general manager Ken Williams, manager Ozzie Guillen and his coaching staff.

"It's not a big thing," Thomas said. "But they want me back in at 100 percent."

"We want to know how good he is after the day off," Guillen added. "But I talked to Kenny about it, and [Thomas] has to be 100 percent ready because if we go to the National League games or any games without one man in the spot, that's going to hurt our team."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

On 2nd thought, no DL for Thomas

Sox slugger says hip won't hold him back; Walker sent down

By Dave van Dyck

The White Sox made one roster move after Wednesday's 10-7 loss to the Angels, and there may be more to come Friday, but it won't include a second trip to the disabled list for Frank Thomas.

Before the game, Thomas admitted his strained hip and groin, plus six games in National League cities next week, might force him back to inactive status. But he had a change of heart during the game and even pinch-hit in the ninth inning.

"I talked to him early in the game, and he said he was ready to go," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

Thomas walked with the bases loaded for an RBI, but Juan Uribe followed with a strikeout to end the game.

Afterward, the Sox optioned left-hander Kevin Walker to Triple-A Charlotte, clearing a spot for Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez to return for a start Friday against Cleveland. Walker was the loser Wednesday, allowing four runs in one-third of an inning. He leaves with a 12.00 ERA in only three innings.

On Friday, or surely sometime before the games in Colorado and San Diego next week, the Sox will activate first baseman Ross Gload, although it is not clear whose spot he would be taking now that Thomas is staying. Guillen was forced to use outfielder Timo Perez at first base Wednesday.

Thomas said there was "still a little twinge in there, and with the off day on Thursday … I should be able to play [as DH] on Friday.

"I feel good. I'm ready to hit. I was running better. It's a step back with the running."

Running is still the biggest problem for Thomas because of his original injury to his left ankle and now the strained muscle on the right side. While he did pinch-hit Wednesday, Thomas did not run the bases, leaving for pinch-runner Pablo Ozuna.

"[The doctor] is more concerned with me overcompensating on the right side and doing damage to the real problem in there, which is the ankle," he said. "So I have to be careful. It's not a big thing, but they want me back in at 100 percent, not trying to favor both sides of my body."

Guillen needed in-game assurance from Thomas that he was ready to play because the Sox had considered putting him back on the DL retroactive to Tuesday. And even Thomas seemed ready for it, saying before the game that if "I have to go back to the DL and take 15 days off, then I might have to."

"He has to be 100 percent ready because if we go to National League [cities], or any games, without one man [available for the field], that will hurt the team," Guillen said.

Thomas, who cannot play the field, will be used only as a pinch-hitter in the six games in NL cities and still may need to be replaced by a pinch-runner.