Franks at bat last nite

marsh

His at bat last nite shows the respect and fear other teams still have for Frank. No one else on this team gets pitched around like that with bases loaded and the winning run on deck.

He makes the offense a lot scarier for the other team.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
His ovation was really loud, too..  :ph34r:

:lolhitting

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
I heard Buehrle's was louder....  :bang  :banghead  :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
I was this/close to posting that.. LOL.  :lolhitting

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
But Willies was loudest of all

M-V-P

M-V-P

M-V-P

Please stop hijacking the topic. :headshake

Now back to giving Frank props.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Why would you pitch to Frank.  He is a future HOF and hits to all fields.  Behind him you have a guy who hasnt seen a pitch he doesnt like. Pulls the ball only. Tomahawks the ball at his head.  And spins like a top.

Maybe because he's only had three at bats at the Major league level this year. Maybe because walking him brings the winning run to the plate.

I agree with you though, I wouldn't have pitched to him, my point was more about what frank brings to this offense.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Maybe because he's only had three at bats at the Major league level this year. Maybe because walking him brings the winning run to the plate.

I agree with you though, I wouldn't have pitched to him, my point was more about what frank brings to this offense.

I think we need to have

Pods

Gooch

Arow

then Frank in the lineup.

Pods/Gooch get on base and hit to all fields.

Arow has been great in the 3 hole. He hits the ball with power to the gaps. And will do even better with protection behind him.

They would have to pitch to frank in this situation. Men on, and Frank who hits with power to all fields and lives on mistakes would drive in a ton of runs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Why would you pitch to Frank.  He is a future HOF and hits to all fields.  Behind him you have a guy who hasnt seen a pitch he doesnt like. Pulls the ball only. Tomahawks the ball at his head.  And spins like a top.

also should not have been hittingin that situation, Gooch should have had a bat in his hands immediatley.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)

Because is coming off of a serious injury, has a hip injury, has 3 ML ABs all year to go along with hitting under .200 in 50 minor league ABs, and hasn't looked sharp yet.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
I think we need to have

Pods

Gooch

Arow

then Frank in the lineup.

Pods/Gooch get on base and hit to all fields.

Arow has been great in the 3 hole.  He hits the ball with power to the gaps.  And will do even better with protection behind him.

They would have to pitch to frank in this situation.  Men on, and Frank who hits with power to all fields and lives on mistakes would drive in a ton of runs.

Wrong. They would continue to walk him, especially if the bases were not loaded. In order to maximize the chances of his being able to get pitches in the strike zone, it would be best to have another high avg hitter in Rowand's place so as to increase the chances of a bases loaded situation when the big guy comes up to the plate.

QUOTE(trexer @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Wrong.  They would continue to walk him, especially if the bases were not loaded.  In order to maximize the chances of his being able to get pitches in the strike zone, it would be best to have another high avg hitter in Rowand's place so as to increase the chances of a bases loaded situation when the big guy comes up to the plate.

As you saw last night they walk him with the bases loaded to. I love his presance he should bat 4th because then that put pressure on the pitcher to get pods rowand and gooch out!

QUOTE(trexer @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Wrong.  They would continue to walk him, especially if the bases were not loaded.  In order to maximize the chances of his being able to get pitches in the strike zone, it would be best to have another high avg hitter in Rowand's place so as to increase the chances of a bases loaded situation when the big guy comes up to the plate.

Check out Arows average and then compare it to the rest of the team. Pods/Gooch/Arow gives us the best opportunity to have the bases loaded over anyone else.

Kong needs to start hitting or Dye needs to flip in his place. Your comments are what I made when people thought that Thomas was going to change the offense on this team. We need people in front on him to get on, and we need people behind him that can drive in runs. Thomas has a great eye and is someone they pitch around.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Because is coming off of a serious injury, has a hip injury, has 3 ML ABs all year to go along with hitting under .200 in 50 minor league ABs, and hasn't looked sharp yet.

And despite all of that, they didn't give him one fastball. That is very telling, especially since K-Rod has a plus fastball.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
His at bat last nite shows the respect and fear other teams still have for Frank. No one else on this team gets pitched around like that with bases loaded and the winning run on deck.

He makes the offense a lot scarier for the other team.

I think it was a wise move to pitch around him when you had Uribe in the on deck circle who would swing at a pitch thrown 10 feet over his head if you threw it there. With a 4 run lead they could afford to walk Frank with the bases juiced.

Uribe was hitting .405 with bases loaded going into the series. He'd missed two chances to get a hit in the previous two games. Playing the odds, he should have gotten a hit last night. Leaving him in to hit was the right move.