Scott Skiles

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Skiles is a good fit for a bunch of rookies as well as young, relatively unproven players like the majority of the Bulls were and basically still are. The drill sergeant approach can work for a group like that. I don't think he'd necessarilly fare as well coaching a team full of veterans.

Edited by 3E8

Skiles' agent went on the radio today and on Chicago Tribune Live and basically said it's much more than money and length, then when they asked what he wouldn't say which translates into we want more money. If they give him anymore money he'll be a top 5 paid coach. He certainly isn't that good. I don't see Washington paying Eddie Jordan that and they beat the Bulls. Plus Skiles almost a completely new team from the one he inherited.

Skiles is asking for too much. He wants to get payed like he's Larry Brown and he's clearly not on that level. He hasn't even won a championship yet so screw him. I'm confident Pax will find someone better whether that be Phil or Flip. And people don't underestimate Phil. He had Kobe who's arguably the most selfish player ever to play the game.

The triangle would definately work with Gordon in it. There's other coaches out there I wouldn't mind. Eric Mussleman whos a younger less stubborn Skiles comes to mind.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Skiles' agent went on the radio today and on Chicago Tribune Live and basically said it's much more than money and length, then when they asked what he wouldn't say which translates into we want more money. If they give him anymore money he'll be a top 5 paid coach. He certainly isn't that good. I don't see Washington paying Eddie Jordan that and they beat the Bulls. Plus Skiles almost a completely new team from the one he inherited.

Skiles is asking for too much. He wants to get payed like he's Larry Brown and he's clearly not on that level. He hasn't even won a championship yet so screw him. I'm confident Pax will find someone better whether that be Phil or Flip. And people don't underestimate Phil. He had Kobe who's arguably the most selfish player ever to play the game.

The triangle would definately work with Gordon in it. There's other coaches out there I wouldn't mind. Eric Mussleman whos a younger less stubborn Skiles comes to mind.

I'll f***ing puke if I have to see the triangle ran without a total superstar who can make buzzer beaters all game long. Triangle offense is horrid, only reason it worked for the Bulls/Lakers is because they both had total superstars at the guard position who could bail the team out when the shot clock would die and the triangle wouldn't get the offense a good shot (happens way too much in the triangle).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
I'll f***ing puke if I have to see the triangle ran without a total superstar who can make buzzer beaters all game long.  Triangle offense is horrid, only reason it worked for the Bulls/Lakers is because they both had total superstars at the guard position who could bail the team out when the shot clock would die and the triangle wouldn't get the offense a good shot (happens way too much in the triangle).

But we've got Ben Gordon.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)

Yep. I agree. He's not that good. Here's a simple concept: Earn it.

And I still have no idea what the "Don't you think he's cute" argument meant...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
I'll f***ing puke if I have to see the triangle ran without a total superstar who can make buzzer beaters all game long.  Triangle offense is horrid, only reason it worked for the Bulls/Lakers is because they both had total superstars at the guard position who could bail the team out when the shot clock would die and the triangle wouldn't get the offense a good shot (happens way too much in the triangle).

You don't need total superstars. That's a huge misconception. The Bulls would be perfect for the triangle if they have Eddy coming back. It'll create perfect space between everybody and allow for easy buckets for everyone. We have guys who could knock down the shots as well.

I'm convinced some people don't know a thing about the triangle offense.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
You don't need total superstars. That's a huge misconception. The Bulls would be perfect for the triangle if they have Eddy coming back. It'll create perfect space between everybody and allow for easy buckets for everyone. We have guys who could knock down the shots as well.

I'm convinced some people don't know a thing about the triangle offense.

God no, it would be awful. This team would be horrid in the triangle, horrid.

Really negative sounding article from the tribune. I also want to state it would be a HUGE HUGE mistake if the Bulls cut Skiles free. They need to cave in. Skiles is so important to this team. He had the Bulls playing hard and playing right and they are going to continue to grow (although I could also see a minor blip in the radar this next season) and then of course the following season is the one where I expect the Bulls to compete for the finals (they'll have the money to make an impact signing).

Here's the link to the article: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Elaborate please.

What more can I say other than the fact its an extremely poor system that has horrific ball movement and pretty much encourages ball hogging. The system often times has a guy having to force up shots because you don't open up the passing lanes by spreading (I know the point of the triangle is to have more passing lanes open, but it doesn't work that way).

The only times it has ever succeeded is with a team in LA (Kobe/Shaq) and the Bulls (MJ/Pipp) every other time it has failed miserably. There is a reason for that. The Lakers and Bulls overcame the ineptness of the triangle, plus both teams played good defense in their hayday (the Bulls much better than the Lakers, but come crunch time the Lakers knew how to play it, especially role players like Robert Horry and Rick Fox).

Sucks to be a Bulls fan doesn't it. They may not make the playoffs if Skiles isn't back next season.

If only Orlando waited a couple more weeks, than we would have Scott Skiles, not Brian Hill. :crying

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
If the option isn't picked up, Skiles will probably end up in Detroit.  Skiles and Larry Brown have the same agent.

First off Skiles and Brown do not have the same agent, Skiles agents father is Larry Browns agent.

2nd did anyone else hear the skiles interview on the Mike North show? Mike kept attacking Skiles and basicly said the bulls gave you a job when you had none and than offer you good money and you slap them in the face... by not only ending negotiations without giving the bulls a deadline date.

Skiles responded calmly though, if it was me I would of told North that he is an ass that doesnt know the difference between his left and his right and hung up on the bitz.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
Sucks to be a Bulls fan doesn't it. They may not make the playoffs if Skiles isn't back next season.

If only Orlando waited a couple more weeks, than we would have Scott Skiles, not Brian Hill.  :crying

I've realized this last year that I really don't care much about the Bulls. I was a huge Jordan fan, apparently. My list goes Sox, Bears...and in a distant third, the Bulls. f*** Skiles, who cares. Go Sox!

To the people out there who are saying Scott Skiles isn't that good of a coach...I ask you...who were the top 3 defensive teams in the NBA Last year?

Give up?

1. Detroit

2. Chicago

3. San Antonio.

Skiles helped those guys to a monster year, and put them in a position to really make noise if healthy.

Make no mistake...he has earned the right to keep coaching that team, and he earned whatever he asked for last year.

I hope John Paxson can find a quality replacement, but no matter what, we'll be losing a coach who took a bunch of rookies and made them the #2 defense in the league.

I put this one in the exact same spot I put the blame for the summer of 98: Jerry Reinsdorf. He's the one writing the checks. He's the one who has the final say. He's the only one who would have any sort of veto over Pax. He's the one who drove our last quality coach out of town with his 1 year contract extensions and personality conflicts.

And just because I don't like him at all...he also was instrumental in blowing the White Sox best chance at a world series in my lifetime in 94.