When has enough time passed?

Kid Gleason

Lawsuits have also been filed over the past few years by descendents of slaves, who seek billions of dollars in reparations from companies for their ties to slavery.

Then, I seek reparations for the untimely deaths of my ancestors while defending the North and ending slavery.

It took, what 500 years for the Catholic Church and the Lutheran Church to get over the whole reformation thing and apologize. The Vatican's apology for its role in the Holocaust was also late (anyone know if they ever said anything about their ties to Mussolini). The lateness doesn't take away the meaning of it, though. And I think that admitting wrong doing is sometimes the best way to prevent it from happening again. I think that a sincere apology is appropriete no matter how much time has passed. I think it can help both the one asking and the one forgiving.

I would like to say, though, that apologizing and forgiving are about a million miles away from monetary reparations. I think that is a stupid idea and an affront to the very idea of forgiveness.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Then, I seek reparations for the untimely deaths of my ancestors while defending the North and ending slavery.

my grandparents didn't come to this country till about 1910( and couldn't leave ellis island until they passed a language test)... should I pay for these "reparations"???

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)

When did your family line arrive in America? we didn't get here until the 1870s, so no Civil War reparrations for me... :crying

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
my grandparents didn't come to this country till about 1910( and couldn't leave ellis island until they passed a language test)...  should I pay for these "reparations"???

That's about the time my mom's family got here and my dad didn't get here until 1971, do I have to pay as well?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
When did your family line arrive in America?  we didn't get here until the 1870s, so no Civil War reparrations for me... :crying

Early 1700's. My Uncle's been a geek about geneology for the past 15-20 years.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Crap, that's a lot of generations back.

His kids tease him about it. I think it's th most interesting stuff in the world. He loves to talk about it all too. "This is your grandfather's blah blah balh, and he was married to blah blah at 15 and had 14 children..." :lol:

What I find interesting in this, and other similar matters, is we (the US) keeps score in dollars and cents. Something on this scale isn't completed until money exchanges hands.

Note to self

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
When do we have to stop apologizing on a personal basis for the past?

Not trying to start any sticky issues and arguments, but am actually curious from all races on this.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/02/news/fortu...dex.htm?cnn=yes

I dont feel the need to apologize for anything that happened prior to the civil war. Black people need to stop whining about slavery. If they'd focus as much energy on getting their own house in order as they do in trying to extract an apology for slavery from white people who by in large can't trace their roots in this country that far back they would be far better off.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
I dont feel the need to apologize for anything that happened prior to the civil war.  Black people need to stop whining about slavery.  If they'd focus as much energy on getting their own house in order as they do in trying to extract an apology for slavery from white people who by in large can't trace their roots in this country that far back they would be far better off.

I agree 100% on that...I don't feel I have anything to apologize for because I wasn't alive back then and had nothing to do with any of it.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
I agree 100% on that...I don't feel I have anything to apologize for because I was alive back then and had nothing to do with any of it.

So...just how old are you and where do you keep that fountain??? :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
So...just how old are you and where do you keep that fountain??? :D

LoL Ummm errr I mean Wasn't alive...and I will never tell where that fountain of youth is...ok ok its Labatt Blue that keeps me 30 hehe