Allow me to open a big, fat can of worms.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
He pitched well in that game and got shelled by the Rangers. The Cubs are one of the top 13 teams in the bigs, in my opinion.

But he didnt get "shelled" by the cubs and you said a good team would shell him and you claim the cubs are good im confused.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
But he didnt get "shelled" by the cubs and you said a good team would shell him and you claim the cubs are good im confused.

It is possible that a pitcher not quite ready for the big leagues can pitch well against a good team. "shelled by a good team".... only in my opinion.

Nice try on attempting to paint me into a corner.

Edited by Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
In reality or in your fantasy 'nobody's injured' world??

In reality. They are #13 in my book.

In the NL:

only the Padres, D-Backs, Marlins, Braves, Marlins and Cardinals are better.

In the AL:

only the White Sox, Twins, Rangers, Angels, Red Sox and Orioles are better.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
It seems like every day there are people with a post total under 10 talking about the cubs this and the cubs that, etc.  Im just baiting, not stirring :rolly

I agree..

We need a pot stirring smiley. :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I agree..

We need a pot stirring smiley.  :lol:

Or a separate section for cub crap. Who cares about them or how we match up against them? Are they in the AL Central now? Until then, I don't care how many games below .500 they are or why their fans think they have a better team than the Sox.

You're counting on a pitcher who has never won 15 games in his career and possibly the worst defensive middle of the infield as a major reason for the Cubs to improve. Of the guys that are hurt, I would only expect Prior to make a major impact, and they've had him most of the year. Plus as others have said, Perez and Rusch have been solid as replacements.

Do you really think the Cub pen is better w/out Hawkins? If Hendry had a clue he might be the best setup man in the NL right now. Losing a Hawkins even when you mis-used him doesn't make your team better.

The Cub are 8-2 in their last 10. Just like the Rangers. Since most power rankings pick the White Sox #2 behind STL I guess we should just ignore all of that & start printing up the WS tickets for these two clubs :D

Tonight it's Mitre vs Eaton. You pick the Cub & Mitre & I'll pick 7-1 Eaton & the Padres. The winning streak ends tonight. Looking ahead Maddux has a reasonable shot at winless May. To close out the series it's 5-0 Peavy vs Zamby. I'm picking Peavy & the Pads.

So after SD the mighty Cub will still be 2 gms over .500. The WSox will be

17-18 gms over .500. If you still think the Cub could beat them in a 7 gm series you're dreaming. Rusch has pitched just as good as Wood could ever pitch & Prior is anything but a sure thing. You're only other major injury was Walker & he's back now.

On the other side of the coin what would the Sox record be with a healthy Thomas & El Duque all year long? I'd say that's good for at least 3 more gms over .500 bringing the total to 20.

Do you really think a healthy Prior, Wood, & Walker would put the Cub 20 gms over .500? Perhaps you are confusing being healthy with being an ace. Wood hasn't resembled an ace in a long time & Prior has never been healthy enough to determine whether he is an ace. But since your playing this game El Duque had 8 wins & 2 losses in 15 starts last year. So if we extrapolate that to 35 starts that's 18 wins & 5 losses. I'll put those numbers up against Wood or Prior's any day. So if you want to play the past performance healthy game the WSox beat the Cub there as well.

Or perhaps this is really a Cub kool-aid game. Wood & Prior are better than any two pitchers on the WSox because ... well they just are damn it!

:D :D :D :D :D

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Precisely.  The short-term benefits of the Cubs having their starters pitch long into games will most likely come back to haunt them in August and September.

The Cubs absolutely cannot win games where their bullpen has to pitch extended (i.e. 2+) and important innings.

Their seven game winning streak: 3 wins against the horrible Rockies, 3 wins against a flagging Dodgers team, 1 win against a division leader.  Let's see how they do over the next seven games.  To do this, they've had to have outstanding (not good, not great, but outstanding) starting pitching efforts, even with white-hot performances by Lee and Ramerez.

Cubs are about to win the series against the Padres. They are up 10-1 in the rubber match with little to no chance for the Padres to win.