Allow me to open a big, fat can of worms.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
What?  I was just pointing out that they won a series against the Padres when the Padres were nowhere close to 100 percent.  Because the baseball world makes it seem like the Cubs are the only team with any injuries, I find it funny that they've been in a ton of games lately where the starting pitcher they were supposed to face didn't pitch that game, and they faced weaker replacements.

Doesn't change the fact that they took 3/4 from one of the better NL teams on the road, even WITH replacements. If the Sox went 6/7 on any west coast road trip against ANYONE, some of you guys would been printing WS tickets right after the trip.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
Doesn't change the fact that they took 3/4 from one of the better NL teams on the road, even WITH replacements. If the Sox went 6/7 on any west coast road trip against ANYONE, some of you guys would been printing WS tickets right after the trip.

Just like how I'm sure Cubs fans will start printing out their WS tickets also.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
I'm still not sure how you guys are totally discounting a team who has suddenly compiled the 4th best record in the NL without their two frontline pitchers and their starting shortstop

I hate the Cubs more than anyone, but who the f*** cares about what people on soxtalk think about them? I could care less about their injuries, especially Wood and Noballs Garciaparra. They're better off with Neifi at SS anyways.

The Cubs faced a rookie pitcher in Tim Stauffer and two scrubs in Darrell May and Woody Williams. They faced one good pitcher in Adam Eaton and lost that game. Give it a rest, Flubby fan. Where were you when your team was playing like s***? :rolly Better go into hiding again because the Cubs are due for a ton of losses with their tough schedule coming up.

I hate the Cubs more than anyone, but who the f*** cares about what people on soxtalk think about them?  I could care less about their injuries, especially Wood and Noballs Garciaparra.  They're better off with Neifi at SS anyways.

The funny thing is when Cubs fans b**** about Nomar being injured. LOL, Neifi Perez is playing way above his head and likely doing better than Nomar would be right now. They didn't lose much when Nomar went down. What was he hitting before his injury? .157? :headshake

I agree with Jabroni that the Cubs actually got the better end of the deal with Neifi getting to play instead of Nomah

But chances are high that Nomah will return to his career avg. After all, if Chavez will, I am sure Nomah will too

But Hideaway's poitn is very valid. When the Cubs do get Wood and Prior back, they will be a very dangerous team. Remains to be seen if they can still get into the playoffs though in the NL cluster

I agree with Jabroni that the Cubs actually got the better end of the deal with Neifi getting to play instead of Nomah

But chances are high that Nomah will return to his career avg. After all, if Chavez will, I am sure Nomah will too

But Hideaway's poitn is very valid. When the Cubs do get Wood and Prior back, they will be a very dangerous team. Remains to be seen if they can still get into the playoffs though in the NL cluster

True, but Neifi is hitting .325 with a .348 OBP, 7 homeruns, and 26 RBI's. Nomar would have a tough time beating those insane numbers. Even Neifi probably doesn't know how he is doing it.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
True, but Neifi is hitting .325 with a .348 OBP, 7 homeruns, and 26 RBI's.  Nomar would have a tough time beating those insane numbers.  Even Neifi probably doesn't know how he is doing it.

Yeah but Neifi will come back down to earth and if Nomah gets enough at bats, he will converge more to his career #s

Either way, the Cubs are definitely going to be contending for the wild card spot this year.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
You guys are hilarious. I don't know how many times I have to keep saying I'm not a cubs fan.

They will never get it Hideaway. Just look at the attendance thread. Some people have no clue how to debate objectively.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
You guys are hilarious. I don't know how many times I have to keep saying I'm not a cubs fan.

For the record, I just started reading the thread like 2 pages ago. If you're not a Cubs fan, I apologize for making a statement which made it look like that's what I thought.

Yeah but Neifi will come back down to earth and if Nomah gets enough at bats, he will converge more to his career #s

Either way, the Cubs are definitely going to be contending for the wild card spot this year.

I agree with you but as long as Neifi continues to hit like an All-Star, the Cubs won't be missing Nomar nor can Cubs fans use it as an excuse. By the way, Neifi was 3 for 5 with 2 runs today.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
For the record, I just started reading the thread like 2 pages ago.  If you're not a Cubs fan, I apologize for making a statement which made it look like that's what I thought.

He has said a 100 times that he hates the Cubs and he started this thread purely to discuss baseball objectively.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
I agree with you but as long as Neifi continues to hit like an All-Star, the Cubs won't be missing Nomar nor can Cubs fans use it as an excuse.  By the way, Neifi was 3 for 5 with 2 runs today.

Trust me, you do not have to convince me about Neifi. See my earlier post where I said I would take Neifi over Uribe on our team right now. Uribe is a joke with his pitch selection. I do not even know why major league pitchers bother throwing a strike to him (or Cruddy). Just throw it low and out of the zone, and they will bend over swinging at everything

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
He has said a 100 times that he hates the Cubs and he started this thread purely to discuss baseball objectively.

Good lord, did you miss the part where I said I had only read the last 2 pages?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Trust me, you do not have to convince me about Neifi. See my earlier post where I said I would take Neifi over Uribe on our team right now. Uribe is a joke with his pitch selection. I do not even know why major league pitchers bother throwing a strike to him (or Cruddy). Just throw it low and out of the zone, and they will bend over swinging at everything

There's no comparision between Neifi and Uribe now. Neifi has made himself into one of the tougher outs in baseball this year. He goes with the pitch in crucial situations, resulting in some very clutch hits for the Cubs.

I still fail to see how an overrated pitcher with no consistency that throws too many pitches and an overrated defensive butcher who's a walking injury are going to provide significant help. Prior is one thing, but he can only do so much, and he wasn't exactly racking up the wins despite his performance.

The Cubs only "injury excuse" that might work as of right now would be Prior, but they've been winning a lot since he went on the DL, so there goes that excuse. Nomar has been replaced incredibly by Neifi Perez, and Wood is a 4 starter. That's not bias, that's my highest assessment of any starter that can't win 15 games in a season. Just for fun, anyone know our record during Duque's DL stint?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
I'm still not sure how you guys are totally discounting a team who has suddenly compiled the 4th best record in the NL without their two frontline pitchers and their starting shortstop

It is called blind hatred or too much kool aid. Which is a shame because I generally think of White Sox fans as being the smart ones when it comes to analyzing baseball.

Once Prior comes back, the Cubs will be contending for the wild card all the way through, injuries not withstanding. Also, I would not be surprised one bit if we lost the series against them at the Cell. Looking at how badly our O has been against tough pitchers (see CC Sabathia today), it could easily happen.

I still wish to see an all-Chicago World Series in my lifetime. Who knows, it might even happen this year. Stranger things have happened. Just look at what happened last year with the Bo Sox and all. Maybe the Cubs and White Sox are destined to win it all soon too.