Allow me to open a big, fat can of worms.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
How is 11-9 against 3 first place teams and our cross town rival crappy? Jesus. Talk to me about the Cubs after this month is over after they play some real teams. Remember, they haven't played the Cardinals once yet. We've got a much better record against stronger teams. Even if they are healthy, our staff has been performing better, their offense is not that good outside of Lee, and their pen is crap.

I don't think the team's 11-9 record is indicative of whether or not our team is playing like crap. If it was 9-11 and we'd lost those two anaheim games monday and tuesday, what would you say?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I guess we're finding out who's capable of debating a topic and who's capable of posting images

good to know

too many factors involved to say the cubs would be better.

1 we are not fully healthy either

2 They have no closer

3 The guys who are injured may not made too much of a difference. Wood? Nomar? Borowski? . Those names don't Impress me.

4. Perez looks to be an upgrade over the "has been" nomar

5 D lee will not hit .380 all year. Pujols will still have a way better season. Book it. I will be surprised if Lee passed 40 hrs.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I don't think the team's 11-9 record is indicative of whether or not our team is playing like crap. If it was 9-11 and we'd lost those two anaheim games monday and tuesday, what would you say?

I'll grant you that we were really damn lucky to win those games on Monday and Tuesday. But on the other hand...how many games have we lost this season on terrible luck? I'm thinking like those games in Oakland earlier this year where the umps went wild, or even yesterday when a GW grand slam went just foul.

Monday we got lucky, but we also showed some heart and some talent. We came back after bullpen difficulties and still salvaged wins. Most teams aren't good enough to do that.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I guess we're finding out who's capable of debating a topic and who's capable of posting images

good to know

Assuming health but taking into account level of play this year I say the Sox are better, mainly because Patterson is playing like crap, as was Nomar (Neifi would be on the bench assuming good health throughout), Zambrano has been inconsistent and their managing has been worse than ours.

Edited by southsider17

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
I'll grant you that we were really damn lucky to win those games on Monday and Tuesday.  But on the other hand...how many games have we lost this season on terrible luck?  I'm thinking like those games in Oakland earlier this year where the umps went wild, or even yesterday when a GW grand slam went just foul.

Monday we got lucky, but we also showed some heart and some talent.  We came back after bullpen difficulties and still salvaged wins.  Most teams aren't good enough to do that.

I don't understand how Monday and Tuesday can be considered lucky. Both wins came on clean hits. If either of these games can be considered lucky, every come from behind win should be considered lucky.

As in... those Fightin' Illini were just damn lucky when they overcame a 15 point deficit in the last four minutes of the NCAA tournament game this year.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)

good to know

They're just having fun. Relax, dude.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
I didn't realize the season was only 53 games long. I don't think record is indicative of the best and worst teams yet.

Simply put, the last 20 games the Sox have been playing like crap.

and by "crap" you mean taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs, right?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
cool as a cucumber....just slingin' it back

OK Cool. Had enough of the flame wars today, maybe I'm starting to see them where they aren't. :lol:

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
I actually agree because when healthy, their pitching is as good as ours and their O is so much better.

I actually think there is a chance we see an all Chicago WS this year. Call me crazy, but after the Bo Sox win last year, all bets are off now.

How is their pitching better than ours? We have 5 guys in the rotation who have been sub-4 ERA pitchers this year, and 3 of them have been in the 3.00 range(Garland sub 3.00, Buehrle is at about 3.07, and Contreras is at 3.27). The Sox have had 2 elite relievers this year in Politte and Hermanson, 2 solid ones in Cotts and Marte, and two not-so-hawt relievers in Shingo and Vizcaino. The Cubs have had about no elite relievers this year whatsoever, and due to their bullpen struggles, they have lost several games that they should have won. Not only is all of the above true, but the White Sox also have a top 3 best pitching staff, statistically, in the AL.

And when it comes to comparing offenses, you have to consider that not only are we not fully healthy offensively(with Thomas having been out every game except 1 thus far, with the exception of pinch hitting), but you also have to consider how many hitters are under their career average performances. Rowand is hitting worse than his career numbers, PK is, Dye is, Everett is, Crede is somehow managing to hit worse than his career numbers, and Uribe is as well. I count 6 hitters in the lineup hitting worse than average...that is 2/3rds of the lineup, which is a crazy amount to have hitting below average. You also have to consider that DLee has just been an absolute monster this year offensively, and that Neifi Perez is hitting over his head too, and that has a lot to do with their offense being as successful as it has been, and you realize that that argument holds very little ground.

The topic is too subjective to be correctly analyzed with so many different variables being thrown into the equation at any given second. There is no argument that could be made for the Cubs being better than the Sox at all, because every argument can be countered with a pro Sox argument.

Sox > Cubs

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
and their O is so much better.

Their offense is absolutely horrendous. They have no top of the order whatsoever. Also to suggest their pitching is as good as the sox is laughable at this point.