Allow me to open a big, fat can of worms.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Again, you seem to think that the best record after 53 games indicates who the best team in baseball is in a given year. Let's talk about the 2001 Mariners, shall we?

Theres just so much wrong with this that I'm not going to even bother touching it.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Sorry, I'm still awestruck that you think a team with no closer, no hitting outside 1 man, no defense, no speed, a clueless manager, and still many unnamed problems could be 36-17 right now. Thats not only better than us, thats better than the Cardinals. Oh yeah, you can include the rest of the league in there as well. The ludacity of such a comment is incredible.

How many hitters do the Sox have hitting right now? 2? Whose overall batting average is better, the Sox or the Cubs? And don't the Sox have a designated hitter so SHOULDN'T their average be WAY higher?

Clueless manager? Have you been watching how the Sox have been managed recently?

Yes, they have no closer. We have several holes at setup. How many blown saves do the sox have in the last 3 games... six?

The cubs have no real lead off man the fundamentals suck and their pitching staff is all injury prone and dont say anything how if tyhe pitching was healthy the cubs would be better because i could have told you april 4th that wood and prior would be injured at this point!

Our worry should be the Twins. They are chasing us down hard right now. Last time I checked, having a better record and being better than the Cubs has resulted in no division titles.

Stop focusing on the Cubs. The Twins will lap us if we are not careful.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
The cubs have no real lead off man the fundamentals suck and their pitching staff is all injury prone and dont say anything how if tyhe pitching was healthy the cubs would be better because i could have told you april 4th that wood and prior would be injured at this point!

There are such things as periods, you know. They look like this

"."

Why is it so hard to accept that Wood COULD be healthy for a year? Two years ago he started 31+ games. Same as 3 years ago. Wood has really only been injured 3 seasons.

As for Prior, who knows. He is definitely injury prone. I think on paper, their rotation when healthy is at least as solid as ours. If you honestly think Garland's going to keep that start up all season you're dreaming. He seems to have gotten better, but the season is LONG and I have him winning 16-18 at the most.

As for the bullpen....ours is a MESS right now except for Hermanson.

Our starting defense is MUCH better, I will give you that. Our fundamentals? Half the guys in the lineup can't get the bunt down and our backups generally SUCK at playing the field (Timo, Everett) let alone our regulars (lest we forget Dye's awful ApriL)

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
How many hitters do the Sox have hitting right now? 2? Whose overall batting average is better, the Sox or the Cubs? And don't the Sox have a designated hitter so SHOULDN'T their average be WAY higher?

Clueless manager? Have you been watching how the Sox have been managed recently? 

Yes, they have no closer. We have several holes at setup. How many blown saves do the sox have in the last 3 games... six?

They have better hitting than us. All this and it still does not change the fact that they have no speed, no fundamentals, a clueless manager, still have very little hitting whatsoever, still have no closer and still play horrible defense. One or two of those things isn't going to change all of that, whether you like it or not.

Do the Sox lack some of this to? Yes, but certainly not to the extent of the Cubs.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
There are such things as periods, you know. They look like this

"."

Why is it so hard to accept that Wood COULD be healthy for a year? Two years ago he started 31+ games. Same as 3 years ago. Wood has really only been injured 3 seasons.

Only lol

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Our worry should be the Twins. They are chasing us down hard right now. Last time I checked, having a better record and being better than the Cubs has resulted in no division titles.

Stop focusing on the Cubs. The Twins will lap us if we are not careful.

Why did you click on this thread?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
You compared the 2001 Mariners to the 2005 Cubs. Congrats.

Ahh, I'm done with this. I'll get back to this nonsense later.

I think everyone reading this thread takes this the same way I do.

Wood has started 22+ games every year from 2000-2004, and 28+ games from 2001-2003. How the f*** is that constantly injured?

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I think everyone reading this thread takes this the same way I do.

Wood has started 22+ games every year from 2000-2004, and 28+ games from 2001-2003. How the f*** is that constantly injured?

because some pitchers make 35-39 starts and other win 22 games

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
You compared the 2001 Mariners to the 2005 Cubs. Congrats.

Ahh, I'm done with this. I'll get back to this nonsense later.

By the way, if you re-read my statement about the Mariners, you will realize that you completely missed my point.

I said that a 53-game record is not indicative of who the best team in a given year is. Next time, I will make sure to spell out each and every point extra carefully for you.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
35-39?????? LMMFAO.

162 divided by 5 equals?

32.4 counting 4 man rotations and other odds and ends it is possible to make anywhere from 35-39 also that means wood misses 10 starts a year. Meaning he misses 1/3 of his starts thats alot.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
By the way, if you re-read my statement about the Mariners, you will realize that you completely missed my point.

I said that a 53-game record is not indicative of who the best team in a given year is. Next time, I will make sure to spell out each and every point extra carefully for you.

70% of teams leading their divisions on May 31st end up in the playoffs. That is a pretty solid indicator.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
70% of teams leading their divisions on May 31st end up in the playoffs.  That is a pretty solid indicator.

I understand this, but that's not the point. The point is that saying the White Sox are the best team in baseball this year because they have the best 53-game record is a little bit premature. That's my point.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
32.4 counting 4 man rotations and other odds and ends it is possible to make anywhere from 35-39 also that means wood misses 10 starts a year. Meaning he misses 1/3 of his starts thats alot.

Two years, Wood missed about 9 starts each. Name me a pitcher who has started 36 games (not including playoffs, of course) in the past 20 years.

I disagree completely. First off the WSox play in the AL & the Cub plays in the NL. So to say that a perfectly healthy Cub team is better than a perfectly healthy WSox team you have to make an argument as to how good the Cub would be in the AL.

The WSox rotation is a proven AL rotation. The Cub's is entirely green.

Not one pitcher in the rotation has ever pitched an entire season in the AL.

Based on statistical averages alone the WSox gain the advantage here because the averages are against NL pitchers having as good a success in the AL. You need look no further than The Big Unit to see the difference in the two leagues.

The WSox bullpen is much better than the Cub. Health as nothing to do with it. The Cub bullpen would be eaten alive if it had to play a full season in the AL.

The WSox 1-3 are better than the Cub 1-3.

The Cub 4-6 are better than the WSox 4-6.

The Cub 7-9 are better than the WSox 7-9.

The current Cub winning streak is predicated on the starters going long.

Rusch threw 122 pitches in the last win. No rotation can continuously rack up high pitch counts start after start & remain healthy. Eventually they are going to have to rely on that pen again & the losing streak will start.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Two years, Wood missed about 9 starts each. Name me a pitcher who has started 36 games (not including playoffs, of course) in the past 20 years.

Mark buehrle has started 35 times in 2003 and 2004

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)

Fair enough, but since 1987 no one has started more than 37, and since the mid 90s no one has started more than 36. With a 5 man rotation, the most you'll get is 34, maybe 35.

I'd be willing to bet El Duque has missed more games than Wood the past 5 years... or at least it's close.