Open Mouth. Insert Foot, Fox News

LowerCaseRepublican

When you find evidence of a person having a rebuttal opinion not being given air time on the network let me know.

As for Kerry's speech time please .. that is so lame. How often did Kerry receive invites to appear on FOX News during the campaign? How often did Kerry decline those invites? Now if you are in the business of reporting news (it is a business after all) & the Pres candidate declines to come on your network is it reasonable to expect that the network would be less inclined to cover that person in depth? Yes. Why? Because all the information (including personal information) of the candidate is 2nd hand.

It's not coming from Kerry himself.

I point to the ratings win FOX had on the DNC as evidence that whether they had less coverage then other networks the bulk of the people who watch cable news didn't care. Likewise no one seemed to complain at the time either.

When you find evidence of a person having a rebuttal opinion not being given air time on the network let me know. 

Balta did exactly that!

As for Kerry's speech time please .. that is so lame.  How often did Kerry receive invites to appear on FOX News during the campaign?  How often did Kerry decline those invites?

Do you have a link for that? I'm interested because that's a good point if it's true.

Now if you are in the business of reporting news (it is a business after all)

Okay maybe it is, but those who have the public duty of reporting the news aren't supposed to be doing it with profit margins in mind.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
Balta did exactly that!

Do you have a link for that?  I'm interested because that's a good point if it's true.

Okay maybe it is, but those who have the public duty of reporting the news aren't supposed to be doing it with profit margins in mind.

Or personal agendas (aka CBS's Danny-boy).

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Or personal agendas (aka CBS's Danny-boy).

I don't agree that Rather had a personal agenda. But I agree that there is no place for those with them in telling the news... obviously.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:39 AM)
I don't agree that Rather had a personal agenda. 

What backwater hell-hole do you live in to believe that? Oh, that's right, canada. If you can say that you don't think rather had ANY personal agendas in his many stories about the Bush administration, with a straight face, you need new meds.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
What backwater hell-hole do you live in to believe that?  Oh, that's right, canada.  If you can say that you don't think rather had ANY personal agendas in his many stories about the Bush administration, with a straight face, you need new meds.

If you actually read the outside report on the matter that CBS commissioned, Rather actually had very little to do with the real reporting in the story. It was mainly work done by the 3 people who lost their jobs - the producer of the story & like 2 others.

Rather was doing quite a bit of other work that week, and was basically handed that 60 minutes report at the last minute, with someone telling him "Yeah it's solid".

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
What backwater hell-hole do you live in to believe that?  Oh, that's right, canada.  If you can say that you don't think rather had ANY personal agendas in his many stories about the Bush administration, with a straight face, you need new meds.

I'm sure much of his personal opinion got into his newscasts but to say he had an agenda? I don't buy that.

About Kerry avoiding Fox News during the campaign that issue alone was covered by the media. It was even debated on Scarborough Country once or twice. I would check the blogs of those sites if you are interested. There might be something there.

I agree that his ego rather than his personal vendetta led to Rather's downfall. He didn't fabricate the story to be true. Someone else did that. But Rather wanted it it be true & ignored obvious signs before airing the story that strongly suggested it might not have been. That's more ego then vendetta.

Last night I saw something that made me cringe. Not FOX News but rather a WFLD News promo: "SIANARA SKILES?" Unless they know something I don't that is no where close to the spelling of sayonara. I'm not big on firing people for mistakes but the editor & the writer for that promo should be disciplined. They should be made to do homework. A 1000 word composition on why it's important to check the spelling of every word that crosses their desk. Even foreign words. If they refuse then fire them.

When you see something like that you wonder just who these editors are & what qualifies them to have their jobs. Yes it's a little mistake but how many bigger ones are made & aired before the public. I understand that in the business of reporting news you need to make it entertaining but that doesn't mean you should look like an illiterate in the process.

Appauling.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

There is just something incredibly precious about reading a post where a writer who I disagree with complains about the inability of a TV editor to spell a word...

And then goes on to misspell the word "appalling" when describing the situation.