Danny Graves is now an unrestricted free agent

Jabroni

"Danny Graves era ends in Cincinnati

Pitcher becomes unrestricted free agent"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- The Danny Graves era in Cincinnati has officially come to an unceremonious end.

Graves cleared waivers and was released from the team Thursday afternoon, making him an unrestricted free agent. He can sign with any team.

Any team that signs Graves can do so for the pro-rated Major League minimum for the remainder of '05. The Reds would then pay the remainder of his $6.25 million contract.

Graves, 31, was designated for assignment on May 23 after going 1-1 with a 7.76 ERA and 10 saves in 20 relief appearances this season. The team dropped him after he posted an ERA of 11.00 in 10 appearances in May, including a 30.38 ERA in his last three games.

Graves, who is 41-43 with a 3.98 ERA and 182 saves in his career, was in his ninth season with the Reds.

Edited by Jabroni

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=5649

Latest News  Jun. 2, 2005 - 4:09 pm et

Reds announced RHP Danny Graves cleared waivers and is now a free agent.

A $500,000 trade bonus prevented the Reds from moving Graves. They'll only save about $220,000 of the $6.25 million he's making this season after he signs with a major league team. It's expected that he'll join the Marlins.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Seesox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Wouldnt mind picking him up if its gonna be for the minimum.. why not, he has proven he can be good in the past.. not a huge risk there

The huge risk is that he'll come in and suck. He could easily cost you a couple games.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
"Danny Graves era ends in Cincinnati

Pitcher becomes unrestricted free agent"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin

I though that was the waiver rules. I brought this up earlier in the year but someone said I was wrong because of the Manny Rameirez deal. When the Bo Sox tried to release him Why didn't someone sign him for the minimum and the Bo Sox cover the rest?

I though that was the waiver rules. I brought this up earlier in the year but someone said I was wrong because of the Manny Rameirez deal. When the Bo Sox tried to release him Why didn't someone sign him for the minimum and the Bo Sox cover the rest?

Whatever team that claimed him would have had to pay his huge contract. No team wanted to add his salary so the Red Sox pulled him off waivers. No team wanted to add Graves' $6.25 million salary so he cleared waivers. Now any team can sign him for the MLB minimum.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)

You can put any given player on waivers at any given time, and you don't have to release a single player. You see it all the time in August with the waiver trade-deadline approaching and all.

You can put someone on waivers in order to grant them their unconditional release from the organization, thus making him a FA...that is what Cinci did here.

You can also put someone on waivers to designate them for assignment...most of the time to remove them from the 40 man roster. These players will be given the opportunity to accept the assignment(to the minors), or can ask for their release from the organization.

The difference with a lot of these waivers is that they are revocable...if another team puts in a bid for a given player, the home team can pull that player back off of waivers and keep them on the team - however, if the same process is done again, and the player is claimed, they cannot reclaim the player, and they are property of the other team. In Manny's case a couple years ago, he was put on irrevocable waivers, thus making it so if a team put a claim in on him, the Sawks could not reclaim him, and he would become a member of the claiming organization.

(I think...lol)