Eric Chavez quote...

redandwhite

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
No way. Borchard was never an option for that trade anyway. Reed was apart of his little three year plan along with olivo ( he supposedly doesn't trade anyone from it). Why the f*** would borchard have been untouchable oast year over reed? Makes no sense if you ask me.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_cws&fext=.jsp

There's also Joe Borchard, the switch-hitting first-round pick from 2000. With 14 home runs and 46 RBIs at Triple-A Charlotte, the 25-year-old appears to have turned an important developmental corner. While drawing interest from many teams around baseball, including Seattle, Borchard is staying put.

"Without a doubt, they wanted Borchard," said Wilder of Seattle's interest in Borchard for Garcia. "We feel like if Joe will be a star, he will be a star in Chicago. He has that type of ability.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very possible he could produce Maggs like numbers over the next 5 yrs at the Cell. I looked at it further and his poor cell numbers are more a reflection of Buehrle & E-Lo. He had 60+ AB between them so probably most of the 46AB over the past 3 yrs came against these guys when they had their A game that night. He owns Garland so that pretty much narrows it down. From everything we know about the park it's tailor made for strong LHB's & Eric is that.

What boosts his value to the White Sox is that he is a LHB. It goes w/out saying that Pods will be here for the long term as our LO guy. He should last the duration of Chavez' current contract. So this trade locks in

Pods(L), Guch®, Chavez(L), followed by a strong RHB for the next 3 yrs.

That's awfully hard for opposing teams to deal with CL&L.

If you add Gload or another LHB at 1B in the tail of the order & AJ that gives the WSox one of the best balanced teams from both sides of the plate for years to come. 4 LHB, 5 RHB.

It reduces the need to keep LHB's like Perez on the bench so this move will

make the bench stronger in years to come as well.

As long as it doesn't cost BMac I say do it. He's worst numbers still outperform Crede, his D definitely outperforms Crede & his potential at the Cell is Maggs like.

Beane's always in mind for good relief pitching & he might eye either Politte or Cotts in this trade. Both look good & cost little. Crede, Anderson, & Politte/Cotts for Chavez. Politte's value has never been higher. This move almost certainly will generate another trade to shore up the bullpen.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
Here's a quote from the 5-30-2004 Tribune:

here's a report from Ofman on 6-10-2004 (FWIW)

I could have sworn he said he was untouchable... probally just what alot of people considered him though. There is also no logic behind trading reed before borchard unless we are talking about who could get more back in terms of talent.

Juggs, my thoughts exactly. When people say that the trade is not for the long term I think about the rammifications of what it would be like to have him instead of KOng as well. Besides haveing a balanced lineup for the next few years, the defensivie IF gets better, and the baserunning gets better. You now have some players that will not clog as much, and have more players hitting to more parts of the field, thus eliminating "blanket" pitch strategies from opposing teams. I like the trade for now and for the next few years. But as Dick Allen said ,"its not gonna happen" so I guess it wont.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
Why take his word for it when we can just whack off to a baseless trade rumor?  :rolly

He's not coming here.................................this year.

Because when it comes to trading, players, coaches, and front office personel are as shady as it gets. They is very little truth in what they say.

Remember ARod prior to last season, being named team captain of the Rangers, and looking forward to staying in Texas for a long time after the trade negotiations broke down with Boston? About a week later he ends up in New York in a trade for Soriano.

So when it comes right down to it...no I'm not gonna take his word. I'm not gonna take Billy Beane's word, I'm not gonna take Eric Chavez's word, I'm not gonna take KW's word, I'm not going to take anyone's word. I will listen to people that I consider good sources of information, but usually not the actual people involved.

With that all being said...I feel I need to get my take in for Chavez in here somewhere, and I'm not gonna go digging through a million f***in posts either. In no way do I want to give up McCarthy for Chavez. If you give up McCarthy for a .220 hitting player in a down year with an ugly contract, you lose.

EDIT: Just felt that I also needed to add that, IIRC, Beane made no mention of trading either Hudson or Mulder this past offseason, or he talked about how he would not break up the big 3. Look what happened.

Edited by witesoxfan

Hes not coming here. Our Payroll which Kenny said is already spent on this yrs. roster. Chavez contract too big to take on even though it would be nice dream that he would come here but when has ever dreams happened here. We will a make move on someone whether its bullpen help replace viscianio or getting a utitly position player.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
Hes not coming here. Our Payroll which Kenny said is already spent on this yrs. roster. Chavez contract too big to take on even though it would be nice dream that he would come here but when has ever dreams happened here. We will a make move on someone whether its bullpen help replace viscianio or getting a utitly position player.

Jerry Reinsdorf has been quoted as saying that if they needed more money it was there.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

Jerry has gone on record twice this year saying there is more $$ to be spent on the right deal.

While I like the idea of getting Chavez, I could certainly "live with" the Sox getting Joe Randa and an ace bullpen guy like Billy Wagner. Getting a Chavez type big bat would mean the best the sox could do would be adding a Ron Villone type to the pen.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
While I like the idea of getting Chavez, I could certainly "live with" the Sox getting Joe Randa and an ace bullpen guy like Billy Wagner. Getting a Chavez type big bat would mean the best the sox could do would be adding a Ron Villone type to the pen.

I'd be up for either one really, they both improve the team. As far as thinking of Chicago as an East Coast team, and that he doesnt want to play for us, im sure his buddy Jermaine Dye could sway his decision.

This is all nice talk but the bottom line is it's ALL FUELED BY PARANOIA over one thing: we havent seen the real Paul Konerko yet. We all forget very easily.

He's still one of the top 10 1B in the majors, see:

www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/playerrankings/regularseason/1B

Chavez cant say the same about his position:

see same page

LET'S HAVE SOME PATIENCE!

He only had 41 HRs and 117 RBIs last year

We cant have both Chavez AND Konerko next year.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Chavez says he dont want to play for any east coast teams and considers Chicago an east coast team

Randy Johnson didn't want to play on the east coast either.. :rolly

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
This is all nice talk but the bottom line is it's ALL FUELED BY PARANOIA over one thing: we havent seen the real Paul Konerko yet. We all forget very easily.

He's still one of the top 10 1B in the majors, see:

www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/playerrankings/regularseason/1B

Chavez cant say the same about his position:

see same page

LET'S HAVE SOME PATIENCE!

He only had 41 HRs and 117 RBIs last year

We cant have both Chavez AND Konerko next year.

And let's hope that if it's one or the other, it's Chavez... :headbang

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
If there's a God.. Konerko will not be on the Sox next year.  :pray

06/27/2004 7:07 PM ET

White Sox offense erases all doubts

With baseball's best lineup, who needs pitching?

Notice the date. Konerko WAS the offense last year.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
06/27/2004  7:07 PM ET

White Sox offense erases all doubts

With baseball's best lineup, who needs pitching?

Notice the date. Konerko WAS the offense last year.

:gosox1:

What the hell does last year have to do with next year..?

Chavez amused: Chavez got a kick out of a column in a Chicago-area newspaper, the Daily Herald, suggesting the A's might trade the third baseman because, "(Chavez) wants out of Oakland so bad that he's the one who apparently is fueling the trade rumor to the Sox.''

Chavez laughed and said, "Yeah, that's why I just signed a $66 million contract to stay here last year, so I can leave. Where does this stuff come from? I don't want to go anywhere near the East Coast, and to me Chicago is the East Coast, anything past Texas.''

A's general manager Billy Beane was outraged by the story, saying, "It's total (garbage.)''