Eric Chavez quote...

redandwhite

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
What the hell does last year have to do with next year..?

:bringit

Because we're all so willing to part with a player when he has a bad start. Watch...Paulie is gonna have a helluva June. Remember that series last June against the Cubs..he had 9 RBIs? Check out all the multi-homer games he's had.

Chavez has never even had 120 RBIs, not to mention 141.

Holla...

:gosox1:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Koney fans is that they don't see the writing on the wall.

Because of the Drew & Sexson deals this past off-season Koney is guaranteed to get a 5 yr deal after this one.

Do you really believe the WSox will commit between $45-55M for a HR hitting 1B? Why would they do this for one of the least skilled positions? Is Koney a GG? No. Not even close. So his D does not add much weight to his contract value. Thomas has a career GB/FB of 0.78. His last 3 yrs have been an avg of 0.45. Koney's career GB/FB is 1.09 & his last 3 yrs it's been a 1.05. More than double that of Thomas'.

So which player in your opinion is more suited for a small ball team?

The big bat less likely to hit into a double play & more likely to produce the SF. That's Thomas.

So when I think of Koney's next contract it's not about a hometown discount. It's about accepting less security. A 3 yr deal with the WSox vs a 5 yr one elsewhere. Why would he do that? It makes no sense. I think both parties know this which is why there hasn't been anything said.

The WSox are more likely to sign Thomas to a 3 yr extension that is packed with health related incentives than they are to sign Koney to a 5 yr one. That's just in line with the reality of what they can afford.

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)

Because we're all so willing to part with a player when he has a bad start. Watch...Paulie is gonna have a helluva June. Remember that series last June against the Cubs..he had 9 RBIs? Check out all the multi-homer games he's had.

Holla...

I will bring it all you want, and if you want a little schoolin on baseball 101 PM me and we can set something up. You are homerun crazy in an ERA that is changing. KOney doesnt fit on this team anyone. He has a low BA, his OBP isnt what it should be, and he is a double play threat and a base clogger. He doesnt have the ability to hit the ball the other way and advance runners. Not to mention the contract that he will command when he is a FA based on the value of previous contracts and the fact that he is the only quality 1B that will be available. If you want to compare CHavez and Kong, we can go at it all you want, but I would rather you check out the threads from yesterday, then build up an argument, then come back and post again, been there done that.

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)

Holla...

I think you missed the 2003 version of Konerko where he hit a stellar .234. Last year he rebounded. But may I suggest that pitchers have figured out that Paully is a pull only hitter who can be had by spotting the fastball on the outside corner.

Last year he K'd 107 times, this year he already has 43 K's. Its not like he is just missing a few and he is going to explode. He is King.

Its been nice that you hit homers Konerko, here is your watch thanks for being part of the team.

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
If that was the case why didn't they deal him in the offseason?

Where were you in the offseason, he was the first player that they shopped, no takers, because the FA class was better, this is why they had to deal C LEE.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
If the option to replace Konerko is Ross Gload, be careful what you wish for.

Why? Im wishing for Ross Gload and Eric Chavez, its a dream come true for me, better offense and defense, thats a winner.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Remember ARod prior to last season, being named team captain of the Rangers, and looking forward to staying in Texas for a long time after the trade negotiations broke down with Boston?  About a week later he ends up in New York in a trade for Soriano.

Please.

It was already known that Texas was willing to trade A-Rod with the whole Red Sox fiasco. After that s*** fell through, he was named captain, but then the Yankees surprised everyone by trading for him.

It was also reported that A-Rod did not like that Showalter was the manager of the Rangers.

A-Rod and Chavez are two COMPLETELY different trade senarios.

A-Rod was coming off of a MVP season, the club knew it was a bad contract, the club WAS trying to trade him before he was traded, and the Sox can't throw money around like the Yanks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
I will bring it all you want, and if you want a little schoolin on baseball 101 PM me and we can set something up.  You are homerun crazy in an ERA that is changing.  KOney doesnt fit on this team anyone.  He has a low BA, his OBP isnt what it should be, and he is a double play threat and a base clogger.  He doesnt have the ability to hit the ball the other way and advance runners.  Not to mention the contract that he will command when he is a FA based on the value of previous contracts and the fact that he is the only quality 1B that will be available.  If you want to compare CHavez and Kong, we can go at it all you want, but I would rather you check out the threads from yesterday, then build up an argument, then come back and post again, been there done that.

The only reason we're having his conversation is because Konerko is slumping. I don't remember all these calls for his head at the end of last season, or even the start of this one. And no matter what you say--and I LOVE the new offense--but you still need someone to drive in runners. I cant wait to see your posts exactly a month from now after KOng kills NL pitching.

me-->you

:fight

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Chavez amused: Chavez got a kick out of a column in a Chicago-area newspaper, the Daily Herald, suggesting the A's might trade the third baseman because, "(Chavez) wants out of Oakland so bad that he's the one who apparently is fueling the trade rumor to the Sox.''

Chavez laughed and said, "Yeah, that's why I just signed a $66 million contract to stay here last year, so I can leave. Where does this stuff come from? I don't want to go anywhere near the East Coast, and to me Chicago is the East Coast, anything past Texas.''

A's general manager Billy Beane was outraged by the story, saying, "It's total (garbage.)''

I hope everyone gets that tattooed on their asses.

I'll put it in the sig as a reminder. :D

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
The only reason we're having his conversation is because Konerko is slumping. I don't remember all these calls for his head at the end of last season, or even the start of this one. And no matter what you say--and I LOVE the new offense--but you still need someone to drive in runners. I cant wait to see your posts exactly a month from now after KOng kills NL pitching.

me-->you

I guess he was slumping in 2003 also. Maybe its only a every other year thing then.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
I hope everyone gets that tattooed on their asses.

I'll put it in the sig as a reminder.  :D

Be prepared for the "STFU" when you post something they don't agree with.. :rolly

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)

me-->you

Probably because you weren't here before today. Do some research.. folks here are in no hurry to take a bullet for Slownerko.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Be prepared for the "STFU" when you post something they don't agree with..  :rolly

That's fine.

But a lot of these posts have been based on anything but facts.

Like Billy Beane wants to trade him NOW while his value is still high.

A package of Crede and McCarthy will get us a great player like Chavez (signed to a monster deal)

:pray Can't wait for August 1st.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
But a lot of these posts have been based on anything but facts.

LMAO... a lot of the posts on these boards are based on anything but facts.. :lolhitting

me-->you

You love the new offense? The same one that scores barely 4 runs a game? Why?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Now that it is KNOWN that Chavez doesn't want to be here, are any of you concerned of him demanding a trade if was traded to us?

He's not coming here.. STFU about it already... :lolhitting :P

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)

me-->you

When the fireworks go off in the cell do you feel utter satisfaction? Kong is the king of solo hr's, so if driving in runs is your big concern, he is not the man for the job. Im also not calling for his head, I love pauly, but he is not a fit to re-sign on this team. re-siging him at the price he is going to be valued at is stupid for this ballclub, especially since he doesnt fit in our model of baseball. You are consistently talking about RBI's, he has broken 100 only twice and has never had 141 :bang , so its not like he is an RBI monster(FYI Chavez has done it three times). As for the rest of his offensive stats, I have been stating that having Chavez in the lineup next year is more beneficial because his OBP is better, he hits to more fields, moves runners over, doesnt clog the bases brings 4 gold gloves and a silver slugger award and is more valuable as a 3B at a lower than market cost.

Value is king and Konerko is a bad value. You can search my posts a month from now, if you are still posting :bang , and if he raises his avg up to 300, I still wont think he is a fit for the sox, but if he does that sometime this season, you can have my season tickets any day you choose.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I guess he was slumping in 2003 also.  Maybe its only a every other year thing then.

look at Konerko since he joined the Sox:

1999 - .294/24/81

2000 - .298/21/97

2001 - .282/32/99

2002 - .304/27/104

2003 - .234/18/65

2004 - .277/41/117

2005 - .223/13/37

he's only 29, and on pace for another 40 HR and 100 RBI season. the hits should come (hopefully). and if they do, I want Konerko here for 2006.

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)

Holla...

ahahahahah where did you even get the number 141 from????