Eric Chavez quote...

redandwhite

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
That's fine.

But a lot of these posts have been based on anything but facts.

Like Billy Beane wants to trade him NOW while his value is still high.

A package of Crede and McCarthy will get us a great player like Chavez (signed to a monster deal)

:pray  Can't wait for August 1st.

But but but, trade RUMORS are always based on facts :crying

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
kind of took on a life of it's own, huh?

I just find it funny how all of the sudden this is the end all quote when everyone heard him on the radio bash Oakland, etc.

Well I guess if Chavez makes a PC quote he isn't coming here for sure. :bang

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
You love the new offense?  The same one that scores barely 4 runs a game?  Why?

Because we're STILL winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did scoring nearly 6 runs/gm get us last season? A nice, comfy spot on the sofa in front of the television for October.

I'll take this team--Paulie included--over grass-is-greener experiments and trade rumors that get us laughed at nationally.

WE.GOT.FRANK.

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Because we're STILL winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did scoring nearly 6 runs/gm get us last season? A nice, comfy spot on the sofa in front of the television for October.

I'll take this team--Paulie included--over grass-is-greener experiments and trade rumors that get us laughed at nationally.

WE.GOT.FRANK.

I dont recall anyone saying get rid of Paulie this year to begin with. Did you trip when you were backtracking from your paulie has 141 Rbi's argument?

QUOTE(Soxaholic @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)

WE.GOT.FRANK.

Dammit, I knew everyone was going to start laughing at us. Now what do we do?

Why are we getting laughed at again?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
When the fireworks go off in the cell do you feel utter satisfaction?  Kong is the king of solo hr's, so if driving in runs is your big concern, he is not the man for the job.  Im also not calling for his head, I love pauly, but he is not a fit to re-sign on this team.  re-siging him at the price he is going to be valued at is stupid for this ballclub, especially since he doesnt fit in our model of baseball.  You are consistently talking about RBI's, he has broken 100 only twice and has never had 141 :bang , so its not like he is an RBI monster(FYI Chavez has done it three times). As for the rest of his offensive stats, I have been stating that having Chavez in the lineup next year is more beneficial because his OBP is better, he hits to more fields, moves runners over, doesnt clog the bases brings 4 gold gloves and a silver slugger award and is more valuable as a 3B at a lower than market cost.

Value is king and Konerko is a bad value.  You can search my posts a month from now, if you are still posting :bang , and if he raises his avg up to 300, I still wont think he is a fit for the sox, but if he does that sometime this season, you can have my season tickets any day you choose.

of course Chavez is a better fit than Konerko, but that doesn't make Konerko a bad fit. like you said, Chavez uses all fields and plays gold glove defense, Konerko doesn't. but if Konerko were to raise his average this year to .300, then he will be re-signed, because his numbers in the second half will be of MVP quality. and the career OBPs of Konerko and Chavez is .344 and .350, respectively, and Chavez has an OBP of .284 to Konerko's .336.

but Chavez won't be coming over to Chicago anytime...ever. so let's end this and hope Konerko becomes the Konerko of 1999-2002.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
You love the new offense?  The same one that scores barely 4 runs a game?  Why?

Luckily are pitching only gives up 3 runs a game usually unless ozzie is an idiot and puts walker, vizcaino, or shingo in :lolhitting

For all those believers of this happening heres a lil. song for ya " When you wish upon a star..."

1. Eric Chavez

2. Joe Randa

3. Randy Johnson

4. Roger Clemens

5. Vinny Castilla

6. Preston Wilson

7. Tim Raines Jr.

8. Carlos Beltran

9. Dan Pasqua

10. Steve Sax

11. Wimpy

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
of course Chavez is a better fit than Konerko, but that doesn't make Konerko a bad fit.  like you said, Chavez uses all fields and plays gold glove defense, Konerko doesn't.  but if Konerko were to raise his average this year to .300, then he will be re-signed, because his numbers in the second half will be of MVP quality.  and the career OBPs of Konerko and Chavez is .344 and .350, respectively, and Chavez has an OBP of .284 to Konerko's .336.

but Chavez won't be coming over to Chicago anytime...ever.  so let's end this and hope Konerko becomes the Konerko of 1999-2002.

Konerko will be a bad fit when his salary is raised to the level of his asking price, he will be not only clogging the bases, but the payrol as well. Barring comparison of the current stats of the players, Chavez is a better player, bar none, and since you know Kenny so well that you say we wont make this trade, then I guess its true, man this would have been a shorter debate if you would have told us the truth ealier, where have you been all my life. :headshake

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
and since you know Kenny so well that you say we wont make this trade, then I guess its true, man this would have been a shorter debate if you would have told us the truth ealier, where have you been all my life. :headshake

OOOOh, rock is gettin fiesty!

:bringit

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Konerko will be a bad fit when his salary is raised to the level of his asking price, he will be not only clogging the bases, but the payrol as well.  Barring comparison of the current stats of the players, Chavez is a better player, bar none, and since you know Kenny so well that you say we wont make this trade, then I guess its true, man this would have been a shorter debate if you would have told us the truth ealier, where have you been all my life. :headshake

he really couldn't ask for much more than the 8.75 million he's asking now, seeing has how his production has dropped off since he signed that contract. and Chavez is making 8.5 million this year, so money has no factor.

as for asking price, Sexson is making 6 mil, Delgado 4, Sean Casey 7.8, Derrek Lee 7.6, Todd Helton (for comparison's sake) 12. his asking price can't go much higher, he doesn't exactly compare favoritively with that group.

Chavez laughed and said, "Yeah, that's why I just signed a $66 million contract to stay here last year, so I can leave. Where does this stuff come from? I don't want to go anywhere near the East Coast, and to me Chicago is the East Coast, anything past Texas.''

A's general manager Billy Beane was outraged by the story, saying, "It's total (garbage.)''

Asked if he had plans to deal Chavez, he said, "Zero. Zero.''

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
he really couldn't ask for much more than the 8.75 million he's asking now, seeing has how his production has dropped off since he signed that contract.  and Chavez is making 8.5 million this year, so money has no factor.

as for asking price, Sexson is making 6 mil, Delgado 4, Sean Casey 7.8, Derrek Lee 7.6, Todd Helton (for comparison's sake) 12.  his asking price can't go much higher, he doesn't exactly compare favoritively with that group.

I know that ESPN.com shows this year's salary, but read a little further, Sexson signed for 4 years 50 million that was after his production dropped off to the tune of .233 with nine homers and 23 rbi and an injury. Delgado 4 years 52 million. and that is with competition in the market place, when Kong is the only viable 1B in FA, his price will be high.

For a side not D.LEE agreed to a one-year then a three year extension, and THIS is his breakout year. And Casey's 8.5 million dollar option was picked up.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
I know that ESPN.com shows this year's salary, but read a little further, Sexson signed for 4 years 50 million that was after his production dropped off to the tune of .233 with nine homers and 23 rbi and an injury.  Delgado 4 years 52 million.  and that is with competition in the market place, when Kong is the only viable 1B in FA, his price will be high.

For a side not D.LEE agreed to a one-year then a three year extension, and THIS is his breakout year. And Casey's 8.5 million dollar option was picked up.

I really didn't do much research, just player pages for this year, but you just can't say Konerko would be a bad fit if he were hitting .300, because that would make his OBP about .400, and our offense would be scoring more runs. if he raises his average to .300, and we don't offer him an extension in the process, he will be gone for 10 mil+ a year somewhere else. but he'd still be a good fit.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I really didn't do much research, just player pages for this year, but you just can't say Konerko would be a bad fit if he were hitting .300, because that would make his OBP about .400, and our offense would be scoring more runs.  if he raises his average to .300, and we don't offer him an extension in the process, he will be gone for 10 mil+ a year somewhere else.  but he'd still be a good fit.

Anyone who is producing that much would be a good fit, and this isnt a get rid of konerko thread, its an Eric Chavez thread, and the fact that he fits better than Konerko is an obvious answer, he is a better player and brings more value, thats it. I love konerko and I wish he would play like that, but he wont, mark it.

:cheers Cheers, gotta go to the game now, scout seats!!!!

Koney was shopped in the off-season but not as aggressively as Lee. The main reason was that you had Thomas on the shelf, with Maggs & Val out the door. That's a major drop in HR production right there. Dealing Koney for any one with less HR potential was not an option.

There were many ? marks going into this year that have been answered.

Most notably Uribe, Pods, & Iguchi can not just play but they are good enough that when they are healthy you want them playing every game.

Uribe (9), Pods(1), Iguchi(2) provide greater RON opps for the middle. The team will look to trade, sign, & retain guys for the middle that produce in RON sits.

RON #'s:

Chavez 02 292AB, 69R, 91RBI, .288 .371 .510 .882

Konerk 02 272AB, 66R, 89RBI, .309 .361 .489 .850

Thomas 02 247AB, 64R, 79RBI, .259 .371 .494 .865

Thomas 03 239AB, 64R, 82RBI, .326 .464 .657 1.121

Chavez 03 264AB, 74R, 81RBI, .299 .369 .511 .880

Konerk 03 216AB, 38R, 54RBI, .227 .305 .356 .661

Konerk 04 251AB, 60R, 93RBI, .303 .390 .546 .936

Chavez 04 235Ab, 69R, 59RBI, .272 .403 .447 .850

Thomas 04 111AB, 42R, 38RBI, .252 .440 .514 .954

Konerk 05 94AB, 19R, 29RBI, .202 .309 .404 .713

Chavez 05 97AB, 20R, 26RBI, .237 .296 .371 .667

Thomas 05 1AB, 1R, 1RBI, .000 .667 .000 .667

At that pace Thomas will finish with over 100R, 100RBI for the season :D

Chavez will likely cost at most $2M more a year than Koney over the next 5 yrs. His OBP & GG D is probably worth that difference.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
as for clogging up the bases, they can't all be Scott Podsednik.

Of course they all cant, but they can be alittle faster then my grandma

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

Of course they all cant, but they can be alittle faster then my grandma

Clogging the bases is not is only detriment. Look at the other numbers:

Koney http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5908

Thomas http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=4527

Specifically look at BB/PA, BB/SO, GIDP, GB/FB, & of course OBP.

It's a night & day difference between the two. A GB/FB > 1.00 is NOT something you

want to see for the slowest player on the team.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I really didn't do much research, just player pages for this year, but you just can't say Konerko would be a bad fit if he were hitting .300, because that would make his OBP about .400, and our offense would be scoring more runs.  if he raises his average to .300, and we don't offer him an extension in the process, he will be gone for 10 mil+ a year somewhere else.  but he'd still be a good fit.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that Konerko won't hit .300 this year. :ph34r: