Frank Article

retro1983hat

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
My take is that there will be some home town discounts for Konerko and Thomas.  You need big bats in the AL and I see each of them signing real affordable contracts.  I think both are married to Chicago girls (Konerko actually Bridgepport) and live in the city, I believe this is why they will stay.  As a matter of fact I think they will signed earlier to get an idea of what if any salary can be brought on for this year and years to come.

Thomas - Chavez - Konerko for the next three years has a ring to it.  You can surround them with your pitching and defense.

Paul and his wife reside in Arizona now..

Frank is moving back here full time from Vegas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that there will be some home town discounts for Konerko and Thomas.  You need big bats in the AL and I see each of them signing real affordable contracts.  I think both are married to Chicago girls (Konerko actually Bridgepport) and live in the city, I believe this is why they will stay.  As a matter of fact I think they will signed earlier to get an idea of what if any salary can be brought on for this year and years to come.

Thomas - Chavez - Konerko for the next three years has a ring to it.  You can surround them with your pitching and defense.

I want Frank back first. Also, I'd rather spend money on a good 3rd baseman than overpay PaulieGIDP.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
That is why God invented the internet...

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
You are wrong.

Al Gore invented the internet.

Thus by logic, we come to the conclusion that Al Gore = God...? :huh

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
AJ is still arbit eligible.  Pretty much if the Sox want him, they own him for another year.

:bang

I said that because Steff guaranteed Ben Davis would be our starting catcher this year.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
AJ is still arbit eligible.  Pretty much if the Sox want him, they own him for another year.

I guarantee you he wants to stay here too, I think he has found a home where people appreciate him, unlike gay SF

Unless he will take $4 mil a year or less, hopefully HE GAWN!

As much as I love him as a player, anything more than that is too much to pay for a guy who may be hurt quite frequently as he continues to grow older.

The Sox should not and will not overpay because he can only play in the AL and teams aren't going to overpay for a DH.

BTW, is he playing tonight?

What a piece of s*** article.  He totally forgets who Frank Thomas's biggest fan is, Jerry Reinsdorf.  Frank Thomas will get a reduced deal done after he is bought out, book it.

I agree. Thomas was all but gone for 2002. Kenny didn't want him & he made that perfectly clear to JR after 2001. Yet what happened? Thomas signed a new contract extension. On top of that the White Sox loaned him a mil for the 2002 season. How many teams have you heard loan money to their players?

So now consider 2006. The offense has been one of the worst in the AL this year.

If it dramatically improves when Frank is playing more often than not how do you think Ozzie will take to him? Let's put it this way. Frank has many ops left in 2005 to appear as a hero before Ozzie. Ozzie looks at Frank in that way. Kenny's attitiude towards Frank has greatly improved since that new contract was signed.

There's simply no basis to believe that it is more likely the WSox cut ties with him now than there was in 2001. They worked out a deal in 2001 & they'll work out a deal for 2006. In fact I would be surprised if it's not very much in line with the last deal but with more money shifted to incentives for playing time.

If the WSox feel El Duque at his age is worth $8M/2yr + $4M in incentives then they will definitely think Frank is worth a contract extension. It will be for less money than the last one. That's a given. He's a much greater health risk now than he was in 2002. In my opinion that all but cinches the deal.

As much as Frank is a big ball player he's even a greater threat in small ball. He is still expected to lead the team in OBP before the season ends. He still remains one of the toughest outs in baseball. When he does make an out it's almost always a FB.

(His GB/FB is one of the lowest in the league). This means even more to a team like the White Sox that needs to score runs on OUTS.

As many have said Pods reaching base is like a double. With Iguchi hitting behind him the odds are favorable that Pods will reach 3B with less than 2 outs more often than not when he gets on. There is no better hitter the WSox could have than Frank Thomas in that situation.

2004 Scoring Pos, < 2 outs 38R, 32RBI, 66AB.

2003 Scoring Pos, < 2 outs 47R, 52RBI, 125AB.

2002 Scoring Pos, < 2 outs 56R, 69RBI, 153AB.

Even in 2002 coming off the surgery he got it done better than most w RISP.

Ozzie seems to be a stat man with his decision making. I'm sure he won't overlook this one.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Frank needs to stay, period.  I think he'll be around on a new deal most likely.

Exactly. Frank is my idol, but we can't pay him $10 mil next year.

It will be up to Frank now. No way do I think the Sox should give him anything more than like 3 or 4 million a year next year. We're not the type of team that can just overpay an aged veteran just to avoid pissing off the fans. Remember how we thought a lot of the fans would turn on the Sox cause Ordonez was gone? Hasn't happened.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
It will be up to Frank now.  No way do I think the Sox should give him anything more than like 3 or 4 million a year next year.  We're not the type of team that can just overpay an aged veteran just to avoid pissing off the fans.  Remember how we thought a lot of the fans would turn on the Sox cause Ordonez was gone?  Hasn't happened.

His buy out is 3.5 so it will be at least that much. I think they will give him another 1.5 and call it a day.

i think the sox will give him a fair offer and it will be up to frank whether he wants to get more money elsewhere (which he could probably get by the yankees for example) or stay an extra year or two and retire a sox.