Kenny Williams on 670 radio

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
If not for his injury I still believe he would have been fine. I'm sure I'm the only one here who feels that way though.. and in hindsight I am happier that AJ is here.

If Sandy wasn't filing for social security, he would still be the starting catcher for the Sox..

Edited by marsh

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Miguel Olivo wasn't going anywhere either..  :rolly

Olivo was never singled out during trade discussions last summer.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21178&hl=

Most appeared surprise he was included. I intend to believe Williams if he says McCarthy isn't leaving Chicago.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Most appeared surprise he was included. I intend to believe Williams if he says McCarthy isn't leaving Chicago.

Maybe that just means he's getting Chavez without giving up McCarthy

Actually, I don't know if I should have used green there.

I've said it before & I'll continue to say it. BMac is going no where because your rotation is still heavily dependant on an assumed 39 yr old who is more often than not on the DL in the years he plays.

BMac figures to get 6-10 starts before the season is done. In a WS contending year that is not a chip you deal.

So let me get this straight. The "rumor" supposedly came from a caller on a radio show or someone on a message board saying Ken Rosenthal said it was a deal being discussed. Rosenthal was emailed and said he had no knowledge of said rumor. BB said it was BS. Chavez said it was BS, and that he did not want to play in Chicago. KW didn't say it was BS but said he isn't trading the main ingredient of said deal, therefore making it BS, and there still are people here that think this rumor still has validity?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
So let me get this straight. The "rumor" supposedly came from a caller on a radio show or someone on a message board saying Ken Rosenthal said it was a deal being discussed. Rosenthal was emailed and said he had no knowledge of said rumor. BB said it was BS. Chavez said it was BS, and that he did not want to play in Chicago. KW didn't say it was BS but said he isn't trading the main ingredient of said deal, therefore making it BS, and there still are people here that think this rumor still has validity?

You never know with KW

IMO, what KW said means nothing. He is trying to get BMac's bid higher than it is right now...he is trying to send a messenge to Beane or whoever that wants to trade for BMac. Now, if Beane asks for BMac and Crede, just for these two, he will get it done, IMHO.

Before I do this post, lemme say that I am not sure if I want Chavez or not.

But KW has always shot down stuff after it comes up. Most recent example is an Ozzie extension. Isnt BB the same way where he doesnt want anything getting out?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)

Yeah I think you have it about right...if you have paid any attention to KW over the years you have to know how full of s*** he is and not to believe much of anything he says about pending deals and such....

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)

dick although I tend to agree that trade won't happen, I do indeed think there will be a trade and before the deadline maybe even before the 4th of july

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
IMO, what KW said means nothing. He is trying to get BMac's bid higher than it is right now...he is trying to send a messenge to Beane or whoever that wants to trade for BMac. Now, if Beane asks for BMac and Crede, just for these two, he will get it done, IMHO.

Finding pitchers with BMac's ability who will be under team control for the next 6 years doesn't happen everyday. He does not have to try and drive his price up. Rick Hahn mentioned at Soxfest that BMac would bring "a king's ransom". Even if he were willing to trade him for Chavez, Chavez said he doesn't want to play here, meaning if he doesn't have a no trade clause and kill it immediately, he would demand a trade at the end of the season.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
dick although I tend to agree that trade won't happen, I do indeed think there will be a trade and before the deadline maybe even before the 4th of july

Unless the team collapses, I agree KW is going to want to deal. He can use some more bullpen help and a run producer for sure.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Before I do this post, lemme say that I am not sure if I want Chavez or not.

But KW has always shot down stuff after it comes up. Most recent example is an Ozzie extension. Isnt BB the same way where he doesnt want anything getting out?

I would do this deal in a hurry. Chavez is 3 time GG winner, is 27 years old what means he will have better years hitting wise. He is locked up for more 5 years. He has a huge contract, I know! Send PK and his one year great, another year sucks to hell and we can pay Chavez!

About BMac? He still a minor leaguer, nobody knows what he will bring to us, he can be a Borchard or a MB.

On Crede, nothing to say... :puke

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I would do this deal in a hurry. Chavez is 3 time GG winner, is 27 years old what means he will have better years hitting wise. He is locked up for more 5 years. He has a huge contract, I know! Send PK and his one year great, another year sucks to hell and we can pay Chavez!

About BMac? He still a minor leaguer, nobody knows what he will bring to us, he can be a Borchard or a MB.

On Crede, nothing to say... :puke

As much as Crede's play makes you want to puke (it has the same effect on me) he has actually played at least as well as Chavez has so far this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
As much as Crede's play makes you want to puke (it has the same effect on me) he has actually played at least as well as Chavez has so far this season.

You said the right thing...THIS SEASON!

Edited by rafacosta

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)

Dick although i completely agree this won't happen at this point, i do think that Chavez is a huge upgrade despite his current play. He will not hit this way all year, and in addition he is a tested pro and big time player. I would much rather have Chavez up in the ninth in a playoff game with the bags loaded than crede.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Dick although i completely agree this won't happen at this point, i do think that Chavez is a huge upgrade despite his current play. He will not hit this way all year, and in addition he is a tested pro and big time player. I would much rather have Chavez up in the ninth in a playoff game with the bags loaded than crede.

So would I. But despite his struggles, Crede has driven in some big runs in his career. I'm not crazy enough to say Crede is better than Chavez. No way. And I know Crede is represented by Scott B. which means if he ever performs at the level the organization was hoping he would perform, the contract he played under would be his last with the White Sox. I don't think KW would be opposed to placing Crede in a trade.

Guest JimH
Ben fractured his hand.. they had no choice but to go find someone else.

Steff when did Ben fracture his hand? My recollection was he hurt himself in spring training ... I saw him play a few games in Arizona ... so he was healthy at the time they signed AJ.

As I recall he got hurt in spring, and Widger beat him out ... they were impressed with how Widger handled the pitching staff, in addition to the fact they were pleased with Widger's bat speed and approach at the plate. I think BD is still on the disabled list at Charlotte.

Seems to me they announced to the world they were comfortable with Davis, then Pierzynski became available and "checked out" ok, and they signed him because it was a clear upgrade. Moral of the story - things change and what's said today by mgmt. could go out the window tomorrow. Players become available all the time.

I will remind you again of Chavez contract signed this past yr: $66M/6yr.

He's earning $8M this year which leaves $58M/5yr left.

He's not performing any where near that level right now. Which means the contract is a major hurt against his trade value right now. BMac on the other hand has the highest trade value of his career right now. Right now there isn't a team in the league who doesn't see his potential as #1/#2 SP. He's the buzz of the organization right now. Chavez & his contract are simply not worth the price of trading BMac.

KW should be able to get this done (if Beane is really pressing to unload the contract) without BMac. But I don't think Beane is conceding yet in the ALW. They are 10 gms out, riding a 4 gm winning streak & are winning at home. Last night Chavez hit a game winning grand slam. I think he'll wait until after Jun to see whether he's a buyer or a seller for the 2nd half.