No MVP next year but

http://sports.ign.com/articles/622/622268p1.html

I've always wanted to play a college baseball game, and that's why I was excited about a year ago when I heard EA Sports was hoping to incorporate college teams and stadiums into MVP Baseball. Think about that for a second. MLB, the minor leagues, and NCAA baseball all in one game. Still makes my head spin.

Obviously, it didn't work out in time for MVP 2005, but now that EA has lost the MLB license, sources say that they are looking toward the collegiate ranks for their next baseball title. Trade in the crack of the wood for the dink of the aluminum, use the MVP engine, and I think you have a hot seller out of nowhere. I know I would rather buy one MLB game and one NCAA game rather than two MLB games, and I think the new direction will work.

It's funny, because one of the strategies of MLB in giving the exclusive license to 2K Sports was the thought that all of the talent working on the various baseball videogames would naturally leave companies like EA and Midway and go work for 2K to make the ultimate MLB game. Looks like that idea backfired, as EA is not only coming out with a competitive product, it's bringing back the MVP engine, which I feel is the best in baseball.

I'd buy it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait one gosh darn second; I've just discovered the genius of MVP 05' and now you're telling me there isn't going to be an 06'? Unreal.

My question to you:

Is there going to be a game put out that's virtually identical to MVP 2005 or will the one baseball game I finally deem worthy simply become extinct?

I'm bummed in a major way.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Wait one gosh darn second; I've just discovered the genius of MVP 05' and now you're telling me there isn't going to be an 06'?  Unreal.

My question to you:

Is there going to be a game put out that's virtually identical to MVP 2005 or will the one baseball game I finally deem worthy simply become extinct?

I'm bummed in a major way.

the MLB license was bought out by take two, so the only MLB baseball game that can come out w/ real players/teams is the MLB series.

So since EA can't make an MLB game, they are going to create a college baseball game w/ the same MVP engine.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
the MLB license was bought out by take two, so the only MLB baseball game that can come out w/ real players/teams is the MLB series. 

So since EA can't make an MLB game, they are going to create a college baseball game w/ the same MVP engine.

So, what happens with the MVP MLB engine? Is that done with? Do I seriously have to go out and buy 2005 just because there won't be a similar 2006? This effing sucks.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
So, what happens with the MVP MLB engine?  Is that done with?  Do I seriously have to go out and buy 2005 just because there won't be a similar 2006?  This effing sucks.

It'll be in the NCAA game. I won't buy 2K. I always wanted to play a college baseball game.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
So, what happens with the MVP MLB engine?  Is that done with?  Do I seriously have to go out and buy 2005 just because there won't be a similar 2006?  This effing sucks.

the engine is the way the game plays, so this NCAA game will play like MVP this year.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
the engine is the way the game plays, so this NCAA game will play like MVP this year.

I understand that, but will the 2k series feature the MVP engine or did they simply purchase the rights of MLB and the MLBPA?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
I understand that, but will the 2k series feature the MVP engine or did they simply purchase the rights of MLB and the MLBPA?

all the 2k series did was purchase the right to have the names and players....it will still play the same.

EA owns the way their game plays.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
all the 2k series did was purchase the right to have the names and players....it will still play the same.

EA owns the way their game plays.

Then I'm confused. Does the 2k series now own a monopoly of sorts of the MLBPA? How can something like that happen? I suppose I'm just finding it difficut to comprehend how EA could f*** up something this severely--allowing a monopoly to happen.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Then I'm confused.  Does the 2k series now own a monopoly of sorts of the MLBPA?  How can something like that happen?  I suppose I'm just finding it difficut to comprehend how EA could f*** up something this severely--allowing a monopoly to happen.

EA did the same thing for Madden so it was kinda like. OK you buy the rights to football and we will by the rights to baseball. At least thats what i think.

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
EA did the same thing for Madden so it was kinda like. OK you buy the rights to football and we will by the rights to baseball. At least thats what i think.

I think that's exactly what happened. EA ruined it to begin with by monopolizing football. 2K just countered. The blame goes to EA, in my opinion.

Yeah, I put the blame on EA, but it still doesn't change the fact that 2K sucks. I guess they didn't like having to lower the prices for games, so they thought they could monopolize(they were going to try to get every major sports game I believe) and eliminate competition that way. They were way wrong and it blew up in their face.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Beleive it or not, this could actually do a lot for the sport of college baseball.

That's actually a great point. It sucks that there won't be any mvp but I'd definitely buy the college baseball game.

I thought there was a way to work around EA's liscensing by aquiring a second or third hand liscense or something of the sort. That is how you see multiple NFL games, same could go for baseball.

MVP is the best baseball game I have ever played, would be unfortunate for it to stop being made.

This is complete bulls***. I hate college baseball because I don't know the players, like any college sport.

I only know about the players because you guys ramble and rave about how good they are, when half of them turn to s***.

f*** you EA, f*** you...I'm not going to sink that low and buy 2k.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
This is complete bulls***. I hate college baseball because I don't know the players, like any college sport.

I only know about the players because you guys ramble and rave about how good they are, when half of them turn to s***.

f*** you EA, f*** you...I'm not going to sink that low and buy 2k.

You would like EA to do what...