1985 Sox Draft Blunder

dmbjeff

The baseball draft is much harder than the NFL or NBA and very few people know anything about the prospects in MLB. Well our friends at ESPN rated some of the best and worst draft picks of the past 40-50 years at each draft position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...alan&id=2074809

Frank Thomas is on the list, as well as Robin Ventura. They also have a few busts on their list and one in particular is very disturbing.

In 1985, our Sox took Kurt Brown.

Who is/was Kurt Brown, he was an "unproven high school catcher", but the pick directly following Brown, was a guy named Barry Bonds. I know Bonds is a major tool and at this point of his career after the cheating and lying. I wish he'd just retire but to think what our team could have been through the late 80's into the 90's.

Now I love the Hawk, but I also do believe he was the GM for one season in 1985, I could be wrong on this, but it had to be the worst baseball decision of his life, if in fact I'm correct about the year he GM'd.

Check out the article, interesting read about certain players, good and bad. I also apologize if this is real old news and if it has been brought up before, but thought it was interesting for fans who weren't aware.

Edited by dmbjeff

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
The baseball draft is much harder than the NFL or NBA and very few people know anything about the prospects in MLB. Well our friends at ESPN rated some of the best and worst draft picks of the past 40-50 years at each draft position.

Frank Thomas is on the list, as well as Robin Ventura. They also have a few busts on their list and one in particular is very disturbing.

Who is/was Kurt Brown, he was an "unproven high school catcher", but the pick directly following Brown, was a guy named Barry Bonds. I know Bonds is a major tool and at this point of his career after the cheating and lying. I wish he'd just retire but to think what our team could have been through the late 80's into the 90's.

Now I love the Hawk, but I also do believe he was the GM for one season in 1985, I could be wrong on this, but it had to be the worst baseball decision of his life, if in fact I'm correct about the year he GM'd.

Check out the article, interesting read about certain players, good and bad. I also apologize if this is real old news and if it has been brought up before, but thought it was interesting for fans who weren't aware.

How many other teams passed over Barry Bonds?

How many teams passed over Mark Buehrle?

How many teams passed over...

You get the point.

You never know in the draft. It's a crapshoot.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
How many other teams passed over Barry Bonds?

How many teams passed over Mark Buehrle?

How many teams passed over...

You get the point.

You never know in the draft.  It's a crapshoot.

I know it's a crapshoot, but it was Barry Bonds. Love him or like most, hate him, he has been an awesome player, probably the best overall player in the past 20 years.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
I know it's a crapshoot, but it was Barry Bonds. Love him or like most, hate him, he has been an awesome player, probably the best overall player in the past 20 years.

His point was no one knew that at the time...They didn't know he would go on to hit around 700 bombs, etc.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
You can point out a draft mistake every team has made every year since then.

You can point out two draft mistakes every team has made every year since then?

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)

Harrelson's first round pick was a pitcher named Grady Hall, who you may realize never made it either. As a GM, Harrelson was as bad as it gets. He immediatley hired his old cronies, like Alvin Dark, whose best contributions were sitting around and talkin' baseball over drinks. Back then Harrelson once said words to the effect, everyone knows who the best prospects are.

Another thing about the draft that we can't know, is how much money did we want to spend. Maybe Kurt Brown and Grady Hall were "easy signs" as opposed to other better prospects. I've always wanted to know why the f*** we drafted Bobby Seay if we weren't gonna even offer him a contract, thus losing his rights. Does anyone know the scoop on this?????

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

Probably the best player since Ted Williams.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Except Ted Williams never cheated.

Well, I think that Ted Williams and Barry Bonds are very similiar, in more than just their numbers. Williams was despised by most baseball fans of the time.