Notes: Harris' days numbered?

greasywheels121

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
They want to give him more playing time?

So, they're sacrificing contributions to the major league team so a 26 or 27 year old can get consistent AB's?

I don't buy it.  I'm callin' BS.

And,

You tried making an argument for Timo "winning" us two games.  Well, If you want to use that nonsensical bulls***, I can just as easily make an argument for Timo losing for us several games.  It goes both ways, bud...

Excellent post; I'm with ya all the way. Some of that analysis is really out-there.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
Excellent post; I'm with ya all the way.  Some of that analysis is really out-there.

The analysis is out there? You choose to ignore any possibility of Timo being kept over Willie other than Timo being Ozzie's personal fluffer. Whatever you prefer man, just narrow minded thinking.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
They want to give him more playing time?

So, they're sacrificing contributions to the major league team so a 26 or 27 year old can get consistent AB's?

I don't buy it.  I'm callin' BS.

And,

You tried making an argument for Timo "winning" us two games.  Well, If you want to use that nonsensical bulls***, I can just as easily make an argument for Timo losing for us several games.  It goes both ways, bud...

You don't have to buy it, you don't get a say in the matter. Neither do I, but I'm not crying about it. We're in first, but lets focus on Willie's limited contributions this year to getting us there. :crying

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
You got $50 million to give JR for 100 days of service a year from Mr. Griffey Jr.?

I could rob a bank. Anyway, if it was Pk for Griffey wouldn't you do it(don't think about the money right now)? I certainly would. Griffey's stats aren't unimpressive. They're pretty decent and he'd automatically become one of the better hitters on our club. He's batting .265 with 8 HR's and 36RBI's. He has been batting .283 the past 30 days. Pk is batting .230 with 14 HR's and 38RBI's. He's batting .275 the past 30 days. I would do it if you could move Dye to first.

I already know Jabroni's and a couple of other's thoughts, but I want to hear yours. So Jabroni, no response please.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
You don't have to buy it, you don't get a say in the matter. Neither do I, but I'm not crying about it. We're in first, but lets focus on Willie's limited contributions this year to getting us there.  :crying

It's a message board. It was made to talk about the team and their moves.

I'm not crying about it, just disputing a real stupid move by Kenny Williams and co.

I could rob a bank. Anyway, if it was Pk for Griffey wouldn't you do it(don't think about the money right now)? I certainly would. Griffey's stats aren't unimpressive. They're pretty decent and he'd automatically become one of the better hitters on our club. He's batting .265 with 8 HR's and 36RBI's. He has been batting .283 the past 30 days. Pk is batting .230 with 14 HR's and 38RBI's. He's batting .275 the past 30 days. I would do it if you could move Dye to first.

I already know Jabroni's and a couple of other's thoughts, but I want to hear yours. So Jabroni, no response please.

I won't respond but I want to know why he shouldn't think about the money right now? Why would the $66 million that Griffey is owed not matter? :huh:

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
I won't respond but I want to know why he shouldn't think about the money right now?  Why would the $66 million that Griffey is owed not matter? :huh:

sometimes you gotta spend money to make money, and Griffey could draw fans. I also think that a change of scenery could help him too.

sometimes you gotta spend money to make money, and Griffey could draw fans.  I also think that a change of scenery could help him too.

Griffey wouldn't draw enough fans or produce enough on the field to justify adding his disgustingly bloated contract.

He needs a change of scenery? Griffey is old and injury-prone. I think he needs to stick with the Reds who are stupid enough to be stuck with his contract.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Griffey wouldn't draw enough fans or produce enough on the field to justify adding his disgustingly bloated contract.

He needs a change of scenery?  Griffey is old and injury-prone.  I think he needs to stick with the Reds who are stupid enough to be stuck with his contract.

I'm sure the Reds would eat a bunch of it, and sometimes a change of scenery will do the trick. he is old and injury prone, we could move him to first base, but have you heard the type of s*** he's been getting in Cincy? I remember an article 2 years ago about him getting death threats and hate mail. he took less money to go there, there's no way he's happy there. personally I'd love to have him.

I'm sure the Reds would eat a bunch of it, and sometimes a change of scenery will do the trick.  he is old and injury prone, we could move him to first base, but have you heard the type of s*** he's been getting in Cincy?  I remember an article 2 years ago about him getting death threats and hate mail.  he took less money to go there, there's no way he's happy there.  personally I'd love to have him.

Trade for Griffey and move him to 1st base? Wow. So now you want to take away one of his positives (his defense in CF) by moving him to 1st base?

Regardless, the Reds wouldn't eat enough of Griffey's contract to make it worth it. If they were willing to eat a lot of his contract, he would be a Yankee already.

he signed for 116.5 M for 9 years, an average of $13M a year, and he was the best player in baseball.  he took a serious pay-cut to play in Cincy.

Keyword: "was"

He is 35 years old now and he's on the decline. Trading for a 35 year old injury-prone player with 4 years remaining on a bloated contract is downright retarded, no offence.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Trade for Griffey and move him to 1st base?  Wow.  So now you want to take away one of his positives (his defense in CF) by moving him to 1st base?

Regardless, the Reds wouldn't eat enough of Griffey's contract to make it worth it.  If they were willing to eat a lot of his contract, he would be a Yankee already.

I've heard people mention moving him to first, like the Angels did with Darin Erstad (2004 gold glove winner, I believe). I personally don't like the idea, but he's a good athlete and would catch on quick at first. the only reason to move him would be because he's more prone to injury in CF.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Keyword:  "was"

He is 35 years old now and he's on the decline.  Trading for a 35 year old injury-prone player with 4 years remaining on a bloated contract is downright retarded, no offence.

my point was more that he could have gotten $20M+ a year somewhere else, and the fans treat him like s***, so a new venue would help.

my point was more that he could have gotten $20M+ a year somewhere else, and the fans treat him like s***, so a new venue would help.

Do you think he could get that money nowadays? Nope. So why does it matter? :huh

There's a reason Griffey is still with the Reds. No team wants to add his horrible contract. He isn't worth it.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Do you think he could get that money nowadays?  Nope.  So why does it matter? :huh

There's a reason Griffey is still with the Reds.  No team wants to add his horrible contract.

he could have been with the Padres, but Phil Nevin nixed that. what I keep trying to get at is the change of scenery thing.

he could have been with the Padres, but Phil Nevin nixed that.  what I keep trying to get at is the change of scenery thing.

I can understand how you think that a change of scenery could increase his offensive numbers but will a change of scenery make him any less injury-prone? When was the last year that Griffey made it through a full season?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)

Ok my thoughts;

1) I give Griffey until the end of the month before he gets injured again.

2) PK's deal runs out at the end of this season. Even if we don't resign him, that's $8 million that can be spent in the off-season. Payroll will get increased by another $5 to $7 mill for next season, so that's $15 mill to spend right there.

3) We want to spend our money on players who are coming into their prime and can contribute for a number of seasons. Yes Griffey is hitting the ball well this MONTH, but you don't seriously believe that's going to happen over a 4 year period do you?

4) Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns are better trade ideas than Ken Griffey Jr.

5) Why would Cincinatti trade for PK when they already have Sean Casey at 1st?

6) How good is Jermaine Dye going to defence at 1st?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
When was the last year that Griffey made it through a full season?

too long ago, hence the move from CF, but another reason making it so difficult for the Reds to trade him. my thinking is his since the Reds have Wily Mo Pena waiting, Griffey's trade value is at its lowest, so the Reds would eat more of his salary.

too long ago, hence the move from CF, but another reason making it so difficult for the Reds to trade him.  my thinking is his since the Reds have Wily Mo Pena waiting, Griffey's trade value is at its lowest, so the Reds would eat more of his salary.

Yes, Griffey's inability to stay healthy is one of the reasons the Reds can't find a taker. No team wants a 35 year old, expensive, injury-prone CF'er. I guess I just don't understand why fans would want him either. I think they are just too in love with the memories of Griffey in his prime. That is the player they want, not the present-day, declining Griffey.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
Ok my thoughts;

1) I give Griffey until the end of the month before he gets injured again.

2) PK's deal runs out at the end of this season. Even if we don't resign him, that's $8 million that can be spent in the off-season. Payroll will get increased by another $5 to $7 mill for next season, so that's $15 mill to spend right there.

3) We want to spend our money on players who are coming into their prime and can contribute for a number of seasons. Yes Griffey is hitting the ball well this MONTH, but you don't seriously believe that's going to happen over a 4 year period do you?

4) Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns are better trade ideas than Ken Griffey Jr.

5) Why would Cincinatti trade for PK when they already have Sean Casey at 1st?

6) How good is Jermaine Dye going to defence at 1st?

about #1 - I really hope not, I'm pulling for the guy.

#3 - all I want is to win now, and if Griffey hits well for any number of reasons and can help this club win this year, I'm happy.

#4 - Kearns isn't doing to well, and before Pena got injured he was mashing the ball.

#5 - well, I'm not the one that brought up Konerko. I think we might be able to get him for less, and Griffey could help this club. or create a log-jam in the OF.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Yes, Griffey's inability to stay healthy is one of the reasons the Reds can't find a taker.  No team wants a 35 year old, expensive, injury-prone CF'er.  I guess I just don't understand why fans would want him either.  I think they are just too in love with the memories of Griffey in his prime.  That is the player they want, not the present-day, declining Griffey.

he's still a good player, and any chance that he returns close to the form he was in the 90s is why I'd want him. maybe if he'd stop trying to hit homeruns every swing and hit like he used to, he'd be using the whole field and getting hits, just not as many homeruns. more of the smart-ball player we need.

Even without looking at the negatives to Griffey (old, injury-prone, bloated contract), it would still make no sense to add him. We have Podsednik and Dye for 1 more year, Rowand for 3 years, and good prospects like Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney coming up the ladder. Anderson could be ready next season. It would make more sense to spend money on a stud 3rd baseman, dump Konerko, and sign a decent 1st baseman like Scott Hatteberg.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Even without looking at the negatives to Griffey (old, injury-prone, bloated contract), it would still make no sense to add him.  We have Podsednik and Dye for 1 more year, Rowand for 3 years, and good prospects like Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney coming up the ladder.  Anderson could be ready next season.  It would make more sense to spend money on a stud 3rd baseman, dump Konerko, and sign a decent 1st baseman like Scott Hatteberg.

what if we were to get Randa in the deal?