Notes: Harris' days numbered?

greasywheels121

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
#3 - all I want is to win now, and if Griffey hits well for any number of reasons and can help this club win this year, I'm happy.

Yes people have been on that track, but the fact is this. You do not trade for a guy who had $66 million left on his deal, when you have Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney waiting in the minors.

We trade for Griffey, he automatically commands what about 10 to 15% of our payroll. Unless you're the New York Yankees, or Ken Griffey produces at a Carlos Beltran like rate, that's a bad, bad idea.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's still a good player, and any chance that he returns close to the form he was in the 90s is why I'd want him.  maybe if he'd stop trying to hit homeruns every swing and hit like he used to, he'd be using the whole field and getting hits, just not as many homeruns.  more of the smart-ball player we need.

Adding a 35 year old player with $66 million left on his contract with the hopes of him reverting to his 90's form is not a very good idea.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
Adding a 35 year old player with $66 million left on his contract with the hopes of him reverting to his 90's form is not a very good idea.

that $66M could be $50M for us, and I'm not thinking of reverting him to 90s form, but he could still be a .320/20/100 guy, but he just tries too much to jack it out every time. but with Brian Anderson waiting, it's not a great idea. unless we spin off Brian Anderson for an absolute stud, it doesn't really make sense.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
that $66M could be $50M for us, and I'm not thinking of reverting him to 90s form, but he could still be a .320/20/100 guy, but he just tries too much to jack it out every time.  but with Brian Anderson waiting, it's not a great idea.  unless we spin off Brian Anderson for an absolute stud, it doesn't really make sense.

I don't think there's any way Griffey's going to hit for .320 again in his career again.

that $66M could be $50M for us, and I'm not thinking of reverting him to 90s form, but he could still be a .320/20/100 guy, but he just tries too much to jack it out every time.  but with Brian Anderson waiting, it's not a great idea.  unless we spin off Brian Anderson for an absolute stud, it doesn't really make sense.

Griffey hasn't hit above .300 since 1997 and he hasn't even been close to hitting for that high of an average since 2001 when he hit .286. He's not worth $50 million for 4 years either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
I don't think there's any way Griffey's going to hit for .320 again in his career again.

if you don't remember, he used to spray line drives everywhere back in the day. he could still do that now, but he insists on trying to swing for the fences every time. so he could, but his homerun totals would be down.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
if you don't remember, he used to spray line drives everywhere back in the day.  he could still do that now, but he insists on trying to swing for the fences every time.  so he could, but his homerun totals would be down.

So Paul Konerko could hit over .300 if he took that kind of mentality as well. Gotta remember Greg Walker is our hitting coach.

if you don't remember, he used to spray line drives everywhere back in the day.  he could still do that now, but he insists on trying to swing for the fences every time.  so he could, but his homerun totals would be down.

You keep talking about Griffey's prime years. He is 35 years old now. Even star ballplayers eventually decline. Ken Griffey and Frank Thomas both have. Although I'd rather have Frank than Griffey at this stage in their respective careers because of Frank's high OBP due to his ability to draw a ton of walks. Griffey doesn't walk much. He strikes out a lot though.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
So Paul Konerko could hit over .300 if he took that kind of mentality as well. Gotta remember Greg Walker is our hitting coach.

Konerko never did that. Griffey did and could, if he'd adjust.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
You keep talking about Griffey's prime years.  He is 35 years old now.  Even star ballplayers eventually decline.  Ken Griffey and Frank Thomas both have.  Although I'd rather have Frank than Griffey at this stage in their respective careers because of Frank's high OBP due to his ability to draw a ton of walks.  Griffey doesn't walk much.  He strikes out a lot though.

I'd still take them both, though, if Griffey altered his approach. that's all I'm saying.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
I think Willie and Timo both suck. I like Ozuna better than both. I think I'd rather have Timo up than Willie. He really doesn't bring that much to the table other than that he is younger. He's fast but doesn't make much out of it.

:banghead :bang :fight :nono :puke :sleep :unsure: :rolly

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Ok my thoughts;

1) I give Griffey until the end of the month before he gets injured again.

2) PK's deal runs out at the end of this season. Even if we don't resign him, that's $8 million that can be spent in the off-season. Payroll will get increased by another $5 to $7 mill for next season, so that's $15 mill to spend right there.

3) We want to spend our money on players who are coming into their prime and can contribute for a number of seasons. Yes Griffey is hitting the ball well this MONTH, but you don't seriously believe that's going to happen over a 4 year period do you?

4) Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns are better trade ideas than Ken Griffey Jr.

5) Why would Cincinatti trade for PK when they already have Sean Casey at 1st?

6) How good is Jermaine Dye going to defence at 1st?

1)I don't see him getting a major injury again. He worked double time this off season so he could strengthen his legs to the fullest. If he does get injured again, it'll be for no more than 2 or 3 games. I don't forsee the days of him getting injured for the whole season again

2)Exactly why we could afford Griffey. There's no 1B out there who is as good as PK and that's not a good thing. That's why I proposed moving Dye to 1B(has feet quick enough for a 1B but no longer for a good defensive OF anymore and he's long so his range is naturally bigger). I don't even think there's anyone at 3B that's good enough to spend that money on.

3)Griffey hit good last month too, he had a poor April which is why his average isn't higher(at least in the .280's). He won't be hitting .320 anymore, but he might still be able to hit .300 or a more realistic .290

4)Austin Kearns is hitting a horrible .233 over the past 30 days and .225 with 6 HR and 25 RBI's. Now I'm a fan of Crede, but not many other people are. Those are Crede numbers in the OF. I don't see him being any good. I agree, Pena would be nicer to have, but chances are he isn't going to be traded for that same reason. Yes Griffey is 35 and will be done in 4 years which makes it that much easier to ease into Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney and Chris Young whenever they come up. I think he would be an excellent influence on them and could help out Brian Anderson in particular alot.

5)To get rid of Griffey's contract. Now they would be paying for a large amount(they were ready to pay for a large amount of it when they were trading him to SD) and the payroll for us will be rising next year I suspect unless we flat out fall flat on our face for the rest of the year.

6)I think he could play a decent 1B(of course work him into that spot and have him practice there, unlike they did with Timo when they just told him, he's starting there for the night). He has the tools to do so and if he could play a lick of SS, he could play 1B. Again, Long arms = nice range and he has a strong arm to turn that double play or get that ball to homeplate.

3)Griffey hit good last month too, he had a poor April which is why his average isn't higher(at least in the .280's). He won't be hitting .320 anymore, but he might still be able to hit .300 or a more realistic .290

Why is Griffey hitting .290 realistic? He hasn't hit near .290 since 2001 when he hit .286 in 364 AB's. He's over the hill and rapidly on the decline. You guys fail to see this.

Edited by Jabroni

Ok I'm only going to ask this once. Would you prefer to see the payroll increase next season go towards Ken Griffey Jr. or Eric Chavez?

Or if we don't get Chavez, let Konerko go. Get J.T Snow to platoon with Ross Gload until Casey Rogowski or Josh Fields are ready. Use the $10 million we'd still have, to get some more good bullpen arms, an upgrade at third base, and to resign Frank and the usual upgrades etc.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Ok I'm only going to ask this once. Would you prefer to see the payroll increase next season go towards Ken Griffey Jr. or Eric Chavez?

Or if we don't get Chavez, let Konerko go. Get J.T Snow to platoon with Ross Gload until Casey Rogowski or Josh Fields are ready. Use the $10 million we'd still have, to get some more good bullpen arms, an upgrade at third base, and to resign Frank and the usual upgrades etc.

Eric Chavez, no question. Actually, I don't even think it's a question.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)

Chavez, but let's put it this way. Who would you rather trade? PK for Griffey or Everett, Anderson and BMac(probably also Crede) for Chavez?

Chavez, but let's put it this way. Who would you rather trade? PK for Griffey or Everett, Anderson and BMac(probably also Crede) for Chavez?

I wouldn't do either deal then. I wouldn't trade Konerko for Griffey because of his contract and I wouldn't trade Everett, Anderson, McCarthy, and Crede for Chavez.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
I wouldn't do either deal then.  I wouldn't trade Konerko for Griffey because of his contract and I wouldn't trade Everett, Anderson, McCarthy, and Crede for Chavez.

Pk is hitting worse and his contract with the money getting thrown in is no worse than PK will be getting.

Pk is hitting worse and his contract with the money getting thrown in is no worse than PK will be getting.

I'd rather let Konerko leave via free agency and spend his $9 million on someone else. I still wouldn't want to add Griffey's contract.

Edited by Jabroni