Ump knocked over in DC

Soxy

Not the coolest thing to do....

Byrd knocks umpire to ground

June 4, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nationals outfielder Marlon Byrd knocked down umpire Joe Brinkman during an argument between innings of a game against the Florida Marlins on Saturday night.

Byrd was called out on strikes to end the sixth when first-base umpire Bill Miller ruled that he went around on a checked swing with the count full. Byrd, thinking he had drawn a walk, was about halfway to first when he realized Miller had called him out.

Byrd began arguing with the umpire, and first-base coach Don Buford stepped between them. But as the player went toward his spot in left field for the top of the seventh, he continued arguing, and Miller ejected him.

Byrd then headed toward Miller, and second-base umpire Brinkman tried to get in the player's way. They collided, sending Brinkman tumbling to his back on the infield dirt. He was attended to by a Nationals trainer.

``I saw Byrd running toward my partner, Bill Miller. I put my arm out. I thought I could get in front,'' said Brinkman, who had a red scrape on the side of his forehead. ``I don't know what the intent was.''

Several Nationals players and manager Frank Robinson ran over toward Miller, and eventually Byrd walked off the field.

``Didn't you hear me?'' Byrd said after the game. ``I'm only talking about the victory.''

Wow, that Byrd is a class act.... :headshake

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Can't you just smell the 5 game suspension from here?

maybe if hes lucky he will get the additional bonus of a steroid suspension ;)

Edited by chi-guy2

he can use moises or alfonseca's i slipped into the ump excuse

That was Alf who said "I slipped on wet grass". And it was true. He's a gorilla and he ran full speed at the ump, and due to the laws of physics, couldn't slow down in time, and he skidded on wet grass. It was called by Dusty, "Assult with a deadly belly" :canada

QUOTE(Sox rule @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
That was Alf who said "I slipped on wet grass". And it was true. He's a gorilla and he ran full speed at the ump, and due to the laws of physics, couldn't slow down in time, and he skidded on wet grass. It was called by Dusty, "Assult with a deadly belly" :canada

Hopefully Byrd gets what he deserves.