This Quote From Ozzie

jerseysox

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
"Managing this pitching staff is easy because everyone knows their role, and they know I try to give them the best opportunity to succeed,'' Guillen said.

Discuss.

Is putting kevin walker a rookie in a 1 run game giving him a chance to succeed

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
He is a rookie in experience he doesnt even have 100innings pitched in his career

He's a reliever. It takes a while for a middle reliever who has bounced between AAA and the big leagues for 6 years to accumulate 100 innings. That doesn't make him a rookie.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Really?

How many games have we lost because of it?

just because we haven't lost EVERY time he's gone to Marte in the ninth doesn't make it right.

but off the top of my head, he left garland in too long against the rangers, took mccarthy out too early against the cubs, really screwed the pooch with buerhle in the ninth inning on memorial day, brought in walker two days later in a one-run game, and this is all in the last week.

i'd say he lost us about 10-15 games last year with his pitching management.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
just because we haven't lost EVERY time he's gone to Marte in the ninth doesn't make it right.

but off the top of my head, he left garland in too long against the rangers, took mccarthy out too early against the cubs, really screwed the pooch with buerhle in the ninth inning on memorial day, brought in walker two days later in a one-run game, and this is all in the last week.

i'd say he lost us about 10-15 games last year with his pitching management.

So you are saying we should be something like 53-2? :lolhitting

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
That's a terrible way of looking at things.

No it's not. I'm a fan, i watch baseball for entertainment purposes. Why should i second guess every move the manger makes? That's KW's job, that's some jackass reporters job. All i ask from Ozzie and the Sox is to bring me some worthy entertainment, they've done that. So sit back relax and enjoy the ride. b****ing about Ozzie won't improve his crappy bullpen management and he's not getting fired any time soon. Enjoy being in first place and holding the league's best record in early June, it might be a while until the Sox are in this position again.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
So you are saying we should be something like 53-2? :lolhitting

While I don't necessarily agree with the above poster's logic, I can understand where he comes from and I do think I know what he's talking about.

Off the top of my head, I can't name all the games Ozzie has made a real big-time blunder when it comes to managing the pen, because he has been horrible about it. I would also say that 10-15 games is not an unreasonable amount

We've also had a lot of luck on our side this year, so that needs to be considered.

What I would say is that Ozzie has theoretically(as an example, Memorial Day...that was a game we should have lost, and we should have lost it because Ozzie messed up) or literally(no explanation needed) "lost" 10-15 games this year with bullpen f*** ups. What is not taken into consideration in his post is how many games Ozzie has won with just his prescence in the clubhouse and his ability to have changed the mindset of the entire team(with the help from KW) in less than 2 years. He is the reason we are 37-19 right now...there is something about him that makes players run through walls for him. They love the guy and love playing for him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:55 AM)
Good teams make their own luck, wite.  The Twins have been "lucky" for the past 3 years.

I'd agree if the Sox had been lucky like this for the past 3 years.

I've only seen it in the first half last year(specifically April), and then this entire year...mainly, again, the first half.

Obviously, everyone wanted to sweep, but like I said one month ago, every time we take two out of three and take the series, that's all we can do.

Here's another gem from Ozzie.

Now I understand why we don't finish off any sweeps. Nice attitude Oz. Actually there is a little more you can do. You could start by not playing eenie meeni minie moe with your lineup card on the last game of each sereis.

I don't agree with the idea of Ozzie being bad at managing the bullpen. I can understand the moves he makes. he goes off instinct and heart, as he mentioned pertaining to BMAC on the 3rd Cubs game. Call me naive but I can see that. If he was managing the bullpen poorly, we surely wouldn't have as good a record as we have.

Edited by TheBigHurt