40-40 Club

Whitesoxfan56

Bobby Abreu is currently on pace for 40 hr's and 40 sb's. My question to you is has there ever been a 40-40 guy in MLB history. I said no, but my friend said yes, but he cant give me any proof to back that up. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Bobby Abreu is currently on pace for 40 hr's and 40 sb's.  My question to you is has there ever been a 40-40 guy in MLB history.  I said no, but my friend said yes, but he cant give me any proof to back that up.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks

Jose Canseco did it. A few years ago, Alfonso Soriano almost did it.

The closest anyone has come to a 50-50 season is Alex in 1998 when he had 42 homers and 46 SB's. Brady Anderson actually had an odd stat during his career in that he's the only player in history to have a 20 homer 50 SB year and a 50 homer 20 SB year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
The closest anyone has come to a 50-50 season is Alex in 1998 when he had 42 homers and 46 SB's. Brady Anderson actually had an odd stat during his career in that he's the only player in history to have a 20 homer 50 SB year and a 50 homer 20 SB year.

I forget which video game it was, but Brady Anderson was being advertised as the only "50-50" player in MLB history.

Between the Royals and Astros last year, Beltran had 38 HR and 42 SB's.

Bobby Bonds had 39 Homers and 43 SB's in 1973.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Alex Rodriguez.

I'd say Bonds too. I think he did it in 96(off the top of my head...if I am wrong, I'll correct it later), well before his roid days. He really did not start apparently roiding till like around the 01 season...and you can tell he started roiding for obvious reasons.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
*cough* 73 HR *cough* huge increase in head and body size *cough*

Jose Canseco was the first to make 40/40. Willie Mays was quoted that if he knew they would make such a big deal out of 40/40, he would have done it about 5 or 6 times.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
I'll go out on a limb and say that we won't see 50-50 happen in our lifetime.

I definitely agree because both numbers are becoming more difficult to reach. I don't think we'll see more than 2 or 3 guys get the homers, and the same for the steals. It's seems extremely unlikely that someone will hit both of those milestones.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I definitely agree because both numbers are becoming more difficult to reach. I don't think we'll see more than 2 or 3 guys get the homers, and the same for the steals. It's seems extremely unlikely that someone will hit both of those milestones.

Eric Davis had 30/80 in his early days with the Reds