Greg Walker discusses his "pull baseball" motto

Jabroni

"Notes: Walker knows results matter

Hitting coach welcomes pressure to succeed"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Greg Walker doesn't hesitate to describe his hitting coach responsibilities, fulfilled for parts of the past three seasons with the White Sox, as a "dream job" or an employment option he was born to hold.

After all, Walker loves teaching the intricacies of hitting and loves being back with the organization for which he played the bulk of his Major League career. But Walker also realizes that this unbelievable opportunity could disappear in the blink of an eye.

Coaching jobs at the Major League level are tenuous at best. If a team underachieves, especially in a particular area of the game, it's a coach who usually will be removed long before the manager. That point was driven home once again Saturday night, when Cleveland fired Hall of Famer Eddie Murray from his hitting coach post after a very slow offensive start.

It's the nature of the job, according to Walker, and not a worry that ever should impede daily preparation.

"This is a very good job and there are a lot of people out there who would like to have them. They are very special," Walker said. "But the one thing is, when you sign on, you know there is a big turnover in the positions.

"You know the old saying that it's easier to fire one coach than the players, and you know it going in. When you sign on the dotted line, you know how the game is played and you do the best you can. You work hard at it and let the chips fall where they may."

Manager Ozzie Guillen has commented numerous times on Walker's tireless work ethic, and players such as Paul Konerko, Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede have given Walker direct and extensive credit for improvements in their respective swings. The White Sox entered Sunday with a .257 team average, ranking fifth from the bottom in the American League, while falling more in the middle of the pack in terms of runs scored at 248.

Almost no panic has followed the White Sox's relatively slow offensive start, with the team expected to hit, and there's a great deal of loyalty shown by not just Guillen but also general manager Ken Williams and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf to the entire coaching staff. But Walker only need look at Murray or Kansas City's Jeff Pentland, not to mention previous White Sox hitting coaches such as Von Joshua or Gary Ward, to know that job security is based on results.

"I always hope I'm part of the answer and not part of the problem," the affable Walker said. "But if I ever became part of the problem, I understand that's the way the game is played.

"You get paid to perform, and this team has to hit if we are going to win. I don't expect any special favors. You earn what you get."

On the clock: With the First-Year Player Draft just two days away, White Sox senior director of player personnel Duane Shaffer said Sunday that a field of 600 players on the team's board will be narrowed down to focus on the South Siders' top two picks during meetings in Chicago. Jeff Clement, a standout catcher from USC, would be the White Sox's ideal first-round pick, filling both a need and the title of best player available.

But Clement is unlikely to last until the White Sox's No. 15 pick. The desire for a catcher, though, doesn't mean the White Sox will pass up other players they have ranked higher just to fill a thin spot in the organization. The goal is to draft an impact player, much like Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney have been in the Minor Leagues, or a player who could make an impact through a trade, such as shortstop Michael Morse (3rd round, 2000) as part of the Freddy Garcia deal.

"I don't think you can draft for need," Shaffer said. "Don't take a lesser player for a need. We got a pretty good right-handed pitcher in Freddy because of the draft. That's why you take the best guy."

Shaffer mentioned that pitching isn't a priority in the draft, although the White Sox are likely to select a pitcher in the first round if Clement isn't available. But pitching usually is the draft's strength, according to Shaffer.

Around the horn: With one hit and one RBI on Saturday, Ross Gload is hitting .351 with four RBIs during his Minor League rehab assignment for Triple-A Charlotte. Guillen mentioned that Gload probably won't return to the team until he also can handle outfield responsibilities with his sore left shoulder. If he can't, then Gload could be activated and reassigned to the Minors instead of Willie Harris. ... Guillen appeared clean-shaven Sunday, getting rid of his moustache and goatee. ... Both legendary baseball columnist Jerome Holtzman and former White Sox and Cubs leadoff man Lance Johnson were in attendance for the series finale against Cleveland. ... The White Sox are 14-3-2 in their 19 series this season.

Down on the farm: A slow start to 2005 for third baseman Josh Fields, the team's 2004 first-round selection out of Oklahoma State, picked up a little speed Saturday night, as he hit his fifth and sixth home runs and drove in four, during Double-A Birmingham's 9-4 victory at Tennessee. Fields is now hitting .212 over 53 games and 193 at-bats, after hitting .285 during his 2004 debut with Class A Winston Salem.

Casey Rogowski added three hits and his ninth stolen base to the Barons' victory, while Paulino Reynoso picked up the win with four innings of scoreless relief. Corwin Malone gave up four hits and one earned run in five innings during his eighth start on the comeback trail from Tommy John surgery, lowering his ERA to 3.86.

Coming soon: Freddy Garcia never has pitched at Coors Field, but he figures to have a good plan for Monday night's start in Denver.

"Throw a lot of sinkers, I guess," said Garcia with a smile.

Garcia's holds a 1-0 career record against the Rockies, with a 1.13 ERA. He is 4-1 on the road this season and carries a 2.21 ERA over his last three starts.

Edited by Jabroni

How many games do we f*** ourselves over by not having a back-up 1b do we have to have before we call up Gload?

I'm just hoping that if they are waiting until Gload can play the outfield, that means that Timo will be getting his ticket to Charlotte or somewhere else. With Gload being a lefty bat and having the ability to play a corner outfield spot, what would be the point of keeping Timo? Oh yeah, Ozzie needs a fluffer in the dugout.

By the way, why the hell is Gload's shoulder still sore? He has been playing for Charlotte for 2 weeks. If his shoulder is that bad, why didn't he just not play in Charlotte and rest it for those 2 weeks? :huh

Edited by Jabroni

The subject is "Greg Walker discusses his 'pull baseball' motto". The article, at least the huge part of it you quote, has nothing to do with Walker's hitting philosophy. It's just some niceties about Oh, yes, I know I could be fired just like anybody etc, which I couldn't care less about. I know you have strong opinions, Jabroni, but don't waste my time by misrepresenting something just so you can hear yourself repeat something even I've heard a million times now.

The subject is "Greg Walker discusses his 'pull baseball' motto".  The article, at least the huge part of it you quote, has nothing to do with Walker's hitting philosophy.  It's just some niceties about Oh, yes, I know I could be fired just like anybody etc, which I couldn't care less about.  I know you have strong opinions, Jabroni, but don't waste my time by misrepresenting something just so you can hear yourself repeat something even I've heard a million times now.

It was a joke. It sounds like someone needs a nap. :headshake

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
The subject is "Greg Walker discusses his 'pull baseball' motto".  The article, at least the huge part of it you quote, has nothing to do with Walker's hitting philosophy.  It's just some niceties about Oh, yes, I know I could be fired just like anybody etc, which I couldn't care less about.  I know you have strong opinions, Jabroni, but don't waste my time by misrepresenting something just so you can hear yourself repeat something even I've heard a million times now.

Just fair and balanced reporting there comrade :lol:

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)

I like when he repeats, it allow me to repeat. :cheers

It doesn't make sense that Gload will not recover the arm strength to play the OF this year. He's got to be at least 50-75% recovered in that arm now just to be able to put up the numbers he has.

Ozzie's reluctance to bring Gload up to backup Koney tells me he's losing confidence in Everett's ability to play RF. If he were confident in Everett's ability to play the corner OF positions then there is no reason to keep Timo here. Gload is a far superior backup at 1B. If Gload should prove he can play the OF then Timo would be the most likely to be sent down. He has done s*** & offers nothing.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
I'm just hoping that if they are waiting until Gload can play the outfield, that means that Timo will be getting his ticket to Charlotte or somewhere else.  With Gload being a lefty bat and having the ability to play a corner outfield spot, what would be the point of keeping Timo?  Oh yeah, Ozzie needs a fluffer in the dugout.

By the way, why the hell is Gload's shoulder still sore?  He has been playing for Charlotte for 2 weeks.  If his shoulder is that bad, why didn't he just not play in Charlotte and rest it for those 2 weeks? :huh

Makes too much sense, therefore Ozzie won't make that move.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Where does he mention his "pull ball" philosphy?  I never saw anything where he says I want guys pulling the ball?

In all seriousness...I've been wondering about this lately...

Can anyone tell me anything about how Greg Walker was as a hitter? I'm honestly too young to remember watching him. This team's had a ton of trouble staying closed or hitting the ball the other way (Crede, Konerko, etc.) and we've heard quotes about how he might have suggested to A.J. that he open up his stance to be able to better pull the ball.

Would Greg Walker's hitting style have fit in on this team right now? Was he a "pull first" kind of hitter?