Joe Crede Piece

DBAHO

Plus another little thing that could impact us;

White Sox 3B Joe Crede, 27, continues to show little offensive spark, and team officials should stop waiting for improvement from a player who began the week with nearly 1,600 career plate appearances. But as the Dodgers can attest, the trade options at third base are limited. The A's aren't going to trade Eric Chavez, the Marlins' Mike Lowell is hitting even worse than Crede, and the Phillies, for now, are keeping Placido Polanco. The Padres' Sean Burroughs would not be an obvious upgrade. . . .

Attention, deadline shoppers: The Mariners soon could be open for business. Seattle's closer, LHP Eddie Guardado, probably could be had in the right deal, and RHP Shigetoshi Hasegawa, OF Randy Winn and 2B Bret Boone also could be traded. Boone, 36, wouldn't bring much in return, given his declining skills and $9 million salary. . . .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox 3B Joe Crede, 27, continues to show little offensive spark, and team officials should stop waiting for improvement from a player who began the week with nearly 1,600 career plate appearances. But as the Dodgers can attest, the trade options at third base are limited. The A's aren't going to trade Eric Chavez, the Marlins' Mike Lowell is hitting even worse than Crede, and the Phillies, for now, are keeping Placido Polanco. The Padres' Sean Burroughs would not be an obvious upgrade. . . .

So stop talking about it!

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
Eddie Guardado please.

*cough* given that he's off the roids. *cough*

I've long said that Boone was on the roids...you don't just go from mediocre player to Mr. Power hitter overnight like he did. Plus, I think he is an ass who I'd hate to see come anywhere close to any team I liked.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
I ask now, will we have to trade more for Billy Wagner (who's in the last year of his deal), or Eddie Guardado (who still has 1 more year on his deal after this season).

Good question. The answer will come down to 2 factors: 1) Are the Phillies in serious contention on July 31? and 2) Which one has more teams after him at the time? Off the top of my head I'd say Eddie would be cheaper, but Seattle took a BUNCH from us for Freddy last year.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
I ask now, will we have to trade more for Billy Wagner (who's in the last year of his deal), or Eddie Guardado (who still has 1 more year on his deal after this season).

Wagner... there are alot of good bullpen arms out there next year.

So the Padres may shop Sean Burroughs? It's a crying shame that Kenny didn't jump on this guy...

Geoff Blum

127 AB

.299 AVG

.357 OBP

.449 SLG

.806 OPS

4 HR

18 RBI

12 BB

10 SO

He can play 3B, 2B, SS, LF, and 1B and the Padres are only paying him $575,000 for the season. :crying

Edited by Jabroni

With the Phillies staying close, they wouldn't part with Wagner [who'd cost a little more in terms of talent than Eddie due to his elite closer status--eddie's stuff has always been underappreciated and prob. would in the trade market]

No matter if Phil. contends or not, Polanco should be available. Yet top guys for 3b prob. won't be. The sox might have to settle for a platoon guy, like Mackowiak, or Desi Relaford, in which Crede plays better defense than who they get. Randa might be the best guy out there come the deadline.

Now here's a VERY interesting option;

The Marlins quickly are losing patience with relief pitcher Guillermo Mota, who could be headed for the trading block after a tense verbal exchange Saturday night with manager Jack McKeon.

Mota has been complaining about not being put back into the closer's role since his return to action May 27.

Todd Jones has converted all eight save opportunities since May 1, when Mota went on the disabled list with a sore right elbow.

Mota didn't help his case Saturday when he allowed three runs in 1 2/3 innings. When McKeon took the ball from him in the eighth inning, Mota tried to walk away but was calledback to the mound for an animated chewing out by the manager.

When McKeon finished, Mota shouted something back as he walked off the mound. McKeon didn't respond.

Mota wouldn't talk to reporters Sunday but told teammates he didn't think it was right for McKeon to publicly show him up.

McKeon wouldn't reveal what Mota yelled at him, but he indicated the pitcher has been unhappy about his use.

"I talked to him the other day: 'We're going to bring you into game situations. I know you want a shot at being the closer but you got to go out there and start closing out the innings we bring you in and show us you're being worthy of being in line to do the same job that Jones is doing right now,' '' McKeon said. "We need him to get back to the Mota he was last year. That's what I'm saying.''

Mota, who is making $2.6 million, enters his final year of arbitration this season. The Marlins might consider him expendable if they think they can sign free agent Danny Graves and correct the mechanical flaws that prompted the Cincinnati Reds to release him.

Graves has drawn interest from other teams but has told close friends that the Marlins are his top choice. "He'll be here,'' said Marlins reliever John Riedling, who has been in almost daily contact with Graves.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
That would be awesome if the Sox could somehow get Mota from Fl.

Florida is still struggling with their hitters. Not really a lot of great fits with the Sox though, unless it was for prospects.

If San diego wants to cut its ties with Sean Burroughs, maybe Joe Crede trade for Burroughs could work. SD has a lot of LH hitters, and is near the league lead in offensive categories vs RHP. While they are near the bottom vs LHP. Trading a LH hitter for a RH like Crede could help them. Esp with Geoff Blum playing well as a backup, when Loretta comes back.

If Burroughs hits for avg and a decent OBP [what he's done over his career] and plays decent defense [his numbers look a lot like Crede's], the sox can do w/o his HR power.

The sox just need a guy who can hit .260-.270 and take some walks. That Burroughs hits well vs RHP, as another LH bat, could be a good fit. Esp if he isn't a butcher at 3b

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
Did Guillen ever deal with Mota?  Wasn't Mota traded to the fish last year in the big deal with the Dodgers that included Brad Penny?

Yeah that was the case. Either way, Mota would be a damn fine addition to the pen, but beck's post on the clubhouse chemistry and Guillen siding with McKeon is definitely worth noting.

Eddie is the best bet. I can't believe these columnists still have Wagner on the block when PHI is in striking distance of the NLE. It's very likely now that the NLWC will come out of the NLE & the Cub will be sitting home.

An accomplished pitcher being traded by PHI seems crazy. They will likely deal their bats for arms. With Thomas back the WSox need stronger RP. If they are willing to take an arm less than BMac's value plus Crede for Polanco I'd consider it. Polanco will hit Crede may not. Polanco will not let a ball get by him on an errant throw to 3B because he's too stupid to step off the bag.

Eddie makes sense because the M's can use Anderson. They have a $5M option on Winn for 2006 who has 0HR in 202AB. There's nothing in his numbers than warrant $5M for 2006.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Eddie is the best bet.  I can't believe these columnists still have Wagner on the block when PHI is in striking distance of the NLE.  It's very likely now that the NLWC will come out of the NLE & the Cub will be sitting home.

An accomplished pitcher being traded by PHI seems crazy.  They will likely deal their bats for arms.  With Thomas back the WSox need stronger RP.  If they are willing to take an arm less than BMac's value plus Crede for Polanco I'd consider it.  Polanco will hit Crede may not.  Polanco will not let a ball get by him on an errant throw to 3B because he's too stupid to step off the bag.

Eddie makes sense because the M's can use Anderson. They have a $5M option on Winn for 2006 who has 0HR in 202AB.  There's nothing in his numbers than warrant $5M for 2006.

Maybe KW could or would be able to trade them Borchard now.... :huh

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
So the Padres may shop Sean Burroughs?  It's a crying shame that Kenny didn't jump on this guy...

Geoff Blum

127 AB

.299 AVG

.357 OBP

.449 SLG

.806 OPS

4 HR

18 RBI

12 BB

10 SO

He can play 3B, 2B, SS, LF, and 1B and the Padres are only paying him $575,000 for the season. :crying

Maybe cause he sucked last year with the Rays and didn't hit over the mendoza line?? :huh