Joe Crede Piece

DBAHO

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
I'd freaking love Sean Burroughs, but I don't see the Pads doing that.

What is Burroughs defense like? [you're from the west coast right?]

Weren't the Padres looking to deal Burroughs last yr as well? With all the lefties in their lineup, a righty like Crede with some pop wouldn't be all that crazy. Maybe a bullpen arm thrown in with Crede could get it done. With Loretta coming off the DL, and Geoff Blum earning his playing time, Burroughs could be the odd man out. Crede could see time at 3b as well.

His ability to hit for avg, and get on base would look good for the sox. His SLG is non-existent. But the NL teams have to have some power guys from a spot like 3b if they don't have power at CF, 2b or SS.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)

Weren't the Padres looking to deal Burroughs last yr as well? With all the lefties in their lineup, a righty like Crede with some pop wouldn't be all that crazy. Maybe a bullpen arm thrown in with Crede could get it done. With Loretta coming off the DL, and Geoff Blum earning his playing time, Burroughs could be the odd man out. Crede could see time at 3b as well.

His ability to hit for avg, and get on base would look good for the sox. His SLG is non-existent. But the NL teams have to have some power guys from a spot like 3b if they don't have power at CF, 2b or SS.

Burroughs...24 years old and has been long talked about as there shining star (they really hyped him and obviously he hasn't lived up to it) but he's hitting .286 with a .366 OBP. I don't think he's too bad of a 3rd baseman but he's probably not quite as good as Crede. He has all the tools though (good range, good arm).

I just posted something similar in another thread, but only way the Pads do this is if they get what they want from a 3rd team cause they are one of the 3 best teams in baseball (record wise) and are going to want major league parts back and good ones at that.

Crede, Tracey and someone else for Burrouhgs with those parts getting moved to a 3rd team who provides the bat or arm or whatever the Pads need.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Burroughs...24 years old and has been long talked about as there shining star (they really hyped him and obviously he hasn't lived up to it) but he's hitting .286 with a .366 OBP.  I don't think he's too bad of a 3rd baseman but he's probably not quite as good as Crede.  He has all the tools though (good range, good arm).

I just posted something similar in another thread, but only way the Pads do this is if they get what they want from a 3rd team cause they are one of the 3 best teams in baseball (record wise) and are going to want major league parts back and good ones at that. 

Crede, Tracey and someone else for Burrouhgs with those parts getting moved to a 3rd team who provides the bat or arm or whatever the Pads need.

Seeing how Damian Jackson is getting regular playing time, Willie Harris would have to be a far better option to play 2b with Loretta out 2 months. Crede and Harris?

Crede is not as bad as we make him out to be. Over his short career with the Sox there's a pattern hitting-wise: at least one month he's an all-star, another month he's above avg, one month about avg, one month below avg, & one month he's poor. If you trade him after his all-star month he's worth a lot more. June was that month in 2004. He followed a poor May (.184A, .204O, .402S) w a monster June (.329A, .418O, .600S). He's just come off his worst month ever so maybe he's due for another monster June.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Crede is not as bad as we make him out to be.  Over his short career with the Sox there's a pattern hitting-wise: at least one month he's an all-star,  another month he's above avg, one month about avg, one month below avg, & one month he's poor.  If you trade him after his all-star month he's worth a lot more.  June was that month in 2004.  He followed a poor May (.184A, .204O,  .402S) w a monster June (.329A, .418O,  .600S).  He's just come off his worst month ever so maybe he's due for another monster June.

Yeah hopefully that will happen to Crede, but if the trade is on the table for Kenny to make, then IMO, i'd say so long Joe.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Crede is not as bad as we make him out to be.  Over his short career with the Sox there's a pattern hitting-wise: at least one month he's an all-star,  another month he's above avg, one month about avg, one month below avg, & one month he's poor.  If you trade him after his all-star month he's worth a lot more.  June was that month in 2004.  He followed a poor May (.184A, .204O,  .402S) w a monster June (.329A, .418O,  .600S).  He's just come off his worst month ever so maybe he's due for another monster June.

I'm not saying Crede his horrible. A crede-burroughs swap would be for two underachieving guys who may need a change of scenery to fulfill their potentials. SD needs righties who can hit for some pop. Nevin for 1b has a SLG of .438, their top RH bat.

The sox would have to add more than Joe to get a guy like burroughs--a young LH bat who can hit for avg. and takes walks. Joe has potential--yet the sox need consistency more.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
I'm not saying Crede his horrible. A crede-burroughs swap would be for two underachieving guys who may need a change of scenery to fulfill their potentials. SD needs righties who can hit for some pop. Nevin for 1b has a SLG of .438, their top RH bat.

The sox would have to add more than Joe to get a guy like burroughs--a young LH bat who can hit for avg. and takes walks. Joe has potential--yet the sox need consistency more.

.286/.368 playing everyday isn't underachieving, imo. He's not a run producer, but he hasn't really been asked to be one and is playing in an extreme pitchers park. That would look amazing right now. He's a good hitter, maybe not the prototypical 3rd baseman but he's a good hitter. I like good hitters and the Sox need more of them.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
.286/.368 playing everyday isn't underachieving, imo.  He's not a run producer, but he hasn't really been asked to be one and is playing in an extreme pitchers park.  That would look amazing right now.  He's a good hitter , maybe not the prototypical 3rd baseman but he's a good hitter.  I like good hitters and the Sox need more of them.

We need to do this trade if it is there. We have been trying to guess when Joe would "breakout" and it still hasn't happened. THIS YEAR was susposed to be his "breakout" year with him working on his swing all winter, but look at the results so far. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him, or maybe he would still be the same old Joe.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
.286/.368 playing everyday isn't underachieving, imo.  He's not a run producer, but he hasn't really been asked to be one and is playing in an extreme pitchers park.  That would look amazing right now.  He's a good hitter, maybe not the prototypical 3rd baseman but he's a good hitter.  I like good hitters and the Sox need more of them.

When I say underachieving, I mean underperforming to SD's expectations [weren't they really high, like top prospect, cornerstone guy for years?]. With SD looking for the playoffs, and other guys with less pop scatttered through the lineup, 3B should be looked at as an RBI guy.

Trade Stuff

White Sox third baseman Joe Crede, 27, continues to show little offensive spark, and team officials should stop waiting for improvement from a player who began the week with nearly 1,600 career plate appearances. But as the Dodgers can attest, the trade options at third base are limited. The A's aren't going to trade Eric Chavez, the Marlins' Mike Lowell is hitting even worse than Crede, and the Phillies, for now, are keeping Placido Polanco. The Padres' Sean Burroughs would not be an obvious upgrade. . . .

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
I ask now, will we have to trade more for Billy Wagner (who's in the last year of his deal), or Eddie Guardado (who still has 1 more year on his deal after this season).

Why trade for either one of them when we already have proven closers in Hermanson, Marte & Takatsu?

QUOTE(trexer @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Why trade for either one of them when we already have proven closers in Hermanson, Marte & Takatsu?

Marte a proven closer? :lol:

Hermanson has not been good in his last few appearances.

I'm not even going to get started on Shingo.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
You gave Dingo time as part of the reason we DON'T need pen help? If Dingo is our 3rd best reliever right now, we desperately need pen help. Fortunately he's not.

IF he gets his control back and pitches like he did last year, then he would be one of the best. But those are pretty big IF's.

Question in regards to Guardado. If we get him- he most likely won't be our closer. How would his attitude be if he is just a set-up man? I would love to acquire Guardado though.. I'm sure AJ would put in a good word to KW about him if a situation comes up where we can acquire him.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
IF he gets his control back and pitches like he did last year, then he would be one of the best. But those are pretty big IF's.

Says the president of the send Dingo down club (sign me up btw). I agree that he's a solid reliever IF all those things happen, but SINCE they haven't, he's probably 5th best right now, right behind Cotts and just a bit ahead of the Jizzcan.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
Question in regards to Guardado. If we get him- he most likely won't be our closer. How would his attitude be if he is just a set-up man? I would love to acquire Guardado though.. I'm sure AJ would put in a good word to KW about him if a situation comes up where we can acquire him.

I would have guardado close over hermanson i. I know no one else will agree with me because '' he has earned it''. But i think it is pretty clear he is pitching way over his head. He might have a flukey year and posts crazy numbers but chances of that happening seem slim to me. With guardado you know what you are getting more or less and i would feel safer with him in big time games.

Another reason i can see guardado over hermanson is because we would not have three left handers in middle relief ( cotts, marte, guardado). If we put hermanson as our closer we would have one right hander out of the pen we can rely on ( politte).