Joe Crede Piece

DBAHO

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
I would have guardado close over hermanson i. I know no one else will agree with me because '' he has earned it''. But i think it is pretty clear he is pitching way over his head. He might have a flukey year and posts crazy numbers but chances of that happening seem slim to me. With guardado you know what you are getting more or less and i would feel safer with him in big time games.

Another reason i can see guardado over hermanson is because we would not have three left handers in middle relief ( cotts, marte, guardado). If we put hermanson as our closer we would have one right hander out of the pen we can rely on ( politte).

I agree with you. I think Hermy would make a better setup man.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
I would have guardado close over hermanson i. I know no one else will agree with me because '' he has earned it''. But i think it is pretty clear he is pitching way over his head. He might have a flukey year and posts crazy numbers but chances of that happening seem slim to me. With guardado you know what you are getting more or less and i would feel safer with him in big time games.

Another reason i can see guardado over hermanson is because we would not have three left handers in middle relief ( cotts, marte, guardado). If we put hermanson as our closer we would have one right hander out of the pen we can rely on ( politte).

having 2 lefties in middle relief makes a Guardado trade less likely, and because Hermanson is in fact pitching over his head, there won't be a trade for another closer until he comes back down to earth.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
I agree with you. I think Hermy would make a better setup man.

This is how I would have things.

Guardado = Closer

Politte and Hermanson = Setup men

Marte = Use in 7th inning, or in 8th when we need a lefty - lefty matchup.

Cotts = Keep him in the 6th and 7th for what he's been doing.

Vizcaino and Shingo = Mop up duty until they show they can handle more crucial situations.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
having 3 lefties in middle relief makes a Guardado trade less likely, and because Hermanson is in fact pitching over his head, there won't be a trade for another closer until he comes back down to earth.

Marte and Cotts. I am counting 2 unless you included the almighty Kevin Walker.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
Marte and Cotts. I am counting 2 unless you included the almighty Kevin Walker.

no I meant with Guardado we'd have 3. probably should change it to 2, it makes more sense that way. in fact, consider it done.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
no I meant with Guardado we'd have 3.  probably should change it to 2, it makes more sense that way.  in fact, consider it done.

I think 3 lefties is fine in the bullpen anyway, especially if you have 7 guys in there. Seattle had like 4 at the start of the season IIRC.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
I think 3 lefties is fine in the bullpen anyway, especially if you have 7 guys in there. Seattle had like 4 at the start of the season IIRC.

yeah but we have more pressing needs, and that's a pitcher too many anyway. I really wish Vizcaino was working out for us, it would make things a lot easier.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:33 AM)
I don't think that Guardado would be handed the closer's job, if acquired.  I believe Ozzie would still take the approach of going with his gut instinct or the hot hand, based on matchups.

I think that would be the best way to go. That way, someone earns the closer spot. Nothing is handed to him. Team chemistry factors in this, where a guy earns respect and the ball in the 9th. Hermanson's earned it now. Eddie's earned it based on his past performances. Yet he would have to realize [if Hermanson was still throwing well at the time of the acquisition] that he wouldn't and shouldn't be guaranteed the ball in the 9th over Dustin. Any guy coming in to a 1st place team needs to adjust their game a little to fit in.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
Did Guillen ever deal with Mota?  Wasn't Mota traded to the fish last year in the big deal with the Dodgers that included Brad Penny?

I think he meant he would back McKeon over a player, there with Ozzie or not. Mota was in the deal for Penny, but it has nothing to do with Mota, it is about Ozzie's relationship with Jack McKeon.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
God I would love Burroughs. What a friggin stud.

Where the f*** have you been? :cheers

Anyways, I agree atleast a little with qwerty here. If we were to acquire Guardado, I wouldn't want Hermy being the full-time closer, not with just 1 RHP in the bullpen behind him in Politte(unless you count Viz and Shingo in all of their horribleness, and I do not).

Shingo also has to use his pitches more effectively. It's not always location...Johan Santana can be locating his pitches poorly, but he knows when to use those pitches. Shingo has been f***ing that up all year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Where the f*** have you been?  :cheers

Anyways, I agree atleast a little with qwerty here.  If we were to acquire Guardado, I wouldn't want Hermy being the full-time closer, not with just 1 RHP in the bullpen behind him in Politte(unless you count Viz and Shingo in all of their horribleness, and I do not).

Shingo also has to use his pitches more effectively.  It's not always location...Johan Santana can be locating his pitches poorly, but he knows when to use those pitches.  Shingo has been f***ing that up all year.

So you're saying Shingo needs to start playing video games to prepare to pitch?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
This is how I would have things.

Guardado = Closer

Politte and Hermanson = Setup men

Marte = Use in 7th inning, or in 8th when we need a lefty - lefty matchup.

Cotts = Keep him in the 6th and 7th for what he's been doing.

Vizcaino and Shingo = Mop up duty until they show they can handle more crucial situations.

I would go with the same.