Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
WOW.... James was just quoted yesterday as saying he only way they would draft a HS pitcher is if he had a very clean delivery.

Probably turned into a value pick. High school guys are taking a back seat to college guys and they probalby recognize that. DePodesta did that last year and they had a stellar draft.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
WOW.... James was just quoted yesterday as saying he only way they would draft a HS pitcher is if he had a very clean delivery.

ive read james' abstract and i cant believe he let theo take bowden. im shocked.

wharris...do you go to waubonsie???

bernatowics has had an awesome playoffs and i think the way our offense has come through we should do well...we have no bullpen except for mroczek...so hopefully we'll get to see bowden pitch on saturday.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Anyone think the Sox redraft Donald Veal if he's there in the 3rd round?

Oh man that would be beautiful. I remember loving Veal when we originally took him. Too bad he was a lock to go to U of A. Its really sad what happened to his mom.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Oh man that would be beautiful.  I remember loving Veal when we originally took him.  Too bad he was a lock to go to U of A.  Its really sad what happened to his mom.

for those of us who don't keep up when did we draft veal? and who is he?

Guest JimH

He is a LHP whom the Sox took out of HS a couple of years ago. His mom wanted him to go to college, he did, U of A I believe. Rated as a 3rd round pick this year, had an iffy 1st college year but has come on. Sox picked him about 10th/12th round or so.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)

Veal is a southpaw that was drafted 2 years ago (I think it was 2 years back). He was thought of as one of the most talented southpaws in the draft but slid because he was pretty much a lock to go to University of Arizona.

He went to UofA but his mom passed away and he ended up transferring to a junior college and has kicked ass there. Pretty good upside, imo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Oh man that would be beautiful.  I remember loving Veal when we originally took him.  Too bad he was a lock to go to U of A.  Its really sad what happened to his mom.

Too bad Hodges isn't there again... ;-)

Yep, Veal's mom died of cancer in the last year. He didn't sign 2 years ago because his mom was really pushing college, Veal has wanted to become a doctor and had a one million dollar bonus demand in order to give that up. The Sox made 3 great Plan B picks in Veal, Wes Hodges (going to be a 1st rounder next year IMO) and Greg Moviel. They didn't sign any of them, but here Veal is going to go in the first 3 rounds in all likelihood.

Veal left Arizona and enrolled at Pima CC in Arizona this year so he could enter the draft and start his pro career. All the best to him wherever he ends up.

SUMMAb**** the Cubs just drafted him...

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Too bad Hodges isn't there again... ;-)

Yep, Veal's mom died of cancer in the last year.  He didn't sign 2 years ago because his mom was really pushing college, Veal has wanted to become a doctor and had a one million dollar bonus demand in order to give that up.  The Sox made 3 great Plan B picks in Veal, Wes Hodges (going to be a 1st rounder next year IMO) and Greg Moviel.  They didn't sign any of them, but here Veal is going to go in the first 3 rounds in all likelihood.

Veal left Arizona and enrolled at Pima CC in Arizona this year so he could enter the draft and start his pro career.  All the best to him wherever he ends up.

Haven't heard much on Moviel, I remember the Sox signed and drafted his brother Paul hoping to grab Greg.

Hodges has flat raked, man would if of been nice if the Sox signed a couple of those guys. Its cool how Hodges broke his hammate and learned how to rake from the other side of the plate and is now a switch hitter. I remember you always loved Hodges.