Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
Sounds like a "Stretch"

It might sound like a "stretch" to you, but to the Sox it's not, and I have complete faith in our scouting department. They do a great job. IIRC, Jeremy Reed was a "stretch" in round 2 when we drafted him, and he turned out to be very worthy of that selection.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
It might sound like a "stretch" to you, but to the Sox it's not, and I have complete faith in our scouting department.  They do a great job.  IIRC, Jeremy Reed was a "stretch" in round 2 when we drafted him, and he turned out to be very worthy of that selection.

It's a stretch when you draft him multiple rounds earlier than you still could have had him.

Bleich still on the board and they go with Brooks... crappy use of their limited picks, IMO.

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
It might sound like a "stretch" to you, but to the Sox it's not, and I have complete faith in our scouting department.  They do a great job.  IIRC, Jeremy Reed was a "stretch" in round 2 when we drafted him, and he turned out to be very worthy of that selection.

By the looks of it.. you're the only one who thinks so....

Guest JimH
It's a stretch when you draft him multiple rounds earlier than you still could have had him.

Bleich and Matt Green still on the board and they go with Brooks...  crappy use of their limited picks, IMO.

Seeing as he's an EC Univ. guy the Sox must know a lot about him, they are in NC all the time. Hopefully they know something good about this kid.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
He's a draft eligible sophmore from what I can tell.  Was named National Pitcher of the Week at one point this past season.

This kind of smells of Ray Liotta.  A guy off everyones radar.

Maybe, just doesn't make any sense to me.

Lasorda: "The only team in LA selects..."

LMFAO!

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)

Bleich still on the board and they go with Brooks...  crappy use of their limited picks, IMO.

I just don't think anyone should worry about it. The Sox know what they're doing.

Another C-USA pitcher too (along with Broadway). Seems like they have seen Broadway a good amount and are obviously quite familiar with Brooks from the 1st time around.

If I think back (i may be totally off base) I was thinking Brooks threw a splitter.

Those numbers aren't very impressive, Jason... Whatever, they've done a good enough job to earn my trust, I don't like the pick, but we'll see...

Anyways, unless I'm not seeing something, that Kenny Maiques is still on the board, and he rates as one of the best JuCo pitchers in America. I'd like to see the Sox grab him, strictly from a numbers standpoint. 133 K's in 82 IP, and just 16 BB's.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Those numbers aren't very impressive, Jason...  Whatever, they've done a good enough job to earn my trust, I don't like the pick, but we'll see...

Anyways, unless I'm not seeing something, that Kenny Maiques is still on the board, and he rates as one of the best JuCo pitchers in America.  I'd like to see the Sox grab him, strictly from a numbers standpoint.  133 K's in 82 IP, and just 16 BB's.

Not saying they are amazing, but he had sick numbers out of high school. Lets give him a chance at the very least. I wish I could find my stuff from the 03 draft but I can't.