Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
This is where the area scouts really start pitching their favorites to Duane Shafer and the other Sox draft brass.  The area scouts and maybe their direct supervisor are probably the only Sox personnel who've seen these guys once you start getting this far into the draft.

Lots of young Junior/Community College picks today. We'll have to see how it plays out, I suppose. I like most of the top 10 round picks save Brooks being picked too early and not getting a catcher despite the opportunity being there.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Totally agree on this, thought for sure they'd take at least one catcher in the earlier rounds.

Jim, I know I stated this earlier, but didn't the sox pick up two catchers last year? i thought they did. Do they suck?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Jim, I know I stated this earlier, but didn't the sox pick up two catchers last year? i thought they did. Do they suck?

Well there's Donald Lucy who struggled in Great Falls and will repeat there this season. Adam Ricks is a IF/C that walks a lot, but low average at Kanny (see my profile). Josh Hansen, also at Kanny, is playing 1B, OF, C, and DH. He is hitting about .270 with good power numbers.

Derek Rodriguez is a senior but pitched two seasons at University of Arizona (was part of the team that went to the college world series) and also pitched a season of junior college. He's 22.

He was the closer for Arizona and than transferred to UNLV because he wanted to start. He features a fastball in the 91-93 MPH range and compliments it with a solid curve and changeup. He's garnished comparisons to Tim Hudson. Keeps the ball down as his fastball has good sink to it. I should add its considered a plus curve ball. "Knee Buckling according to his catcher".

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Well there's Donald Lucy who struggled in Great Falls and will repeat there this season. Adam Ricks is a IF/C that walks a lot, but low average at Kanny (see my profile). Josh Hansen, also at Kanny, is playing 1B, OF, C, and DH. He is hitting about .270 with good power numbers.

Yep its lucy, didn't we burn a 3rd or 4th pick on him?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Yep its lucy, didn't we burn a 3rd or 4th pick on him?

2nd rounder, one of our 6 picks before the start of the third round. He's been hurt, so he just started playing again. Very good defensively, very good athlete. We'll see if he can hit.

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)

No Lucy will not repeat Great Falls. He has been on the DL and is now activated and on the roster at Kannapolis.

I'm personally loving the Aaron Cunningham pick. Here is what BA says about the barely 19 year old.

"Huge numbers of scouts came for Simons and Zink, and they stayed for OF Aaron Cunningham (5). The unheralded freshman tore up the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges, hitting .489-10-56, earning MVP honors and nearly winning the league’s triple crown. Exceptionally strong at 6 feet and 190 pounds, Cunningham hit a number of long wood-bat home runs with one of the purest swings in the Northwest. His other tools, mainly his speed and arm strength, are slightly above-average."

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Well, we took a second round catcher last year, and I knwo its early but if people are clamoring for a catcher I assume this guy won't make it. Would we call this a wasted pick?

No. It's too early to judge.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
2nd round actually.

He's been on the DL, too soon to tell about him.  Patience appears to be the word with Lucy.

got it, you know what I will call it though right? we can debate at the bar tonight, off to t - ball ...later

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
I'm personally loving the Aaron Cunningham pick. Here is what BA says about the barely 19 year old.

"Huge numbers of scouts came for Simons and Zink, and they stayed for OF Aaron Cunningham (5). The unheralded freshman tore up the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges, hitting .489-10-56, earning MVP honors and nearly winning the league’s triple crown. Exceptionally strong at 6 feet and 190 pounds, Cunningham hit a number of long wood-bat home runs with one of the purest swings in the Northwest. His other tools, mainly his speed and arm strength, are slightly above-average."

I'm diggin him as well.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)

Yep, I definitely like that one on the surface. I'm not very familiar with the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges, is it a wood-bat association?

Guest JimH
Well, we took a second round catcher last year, and I knwo its early but if people are clamoring for a catcher I assume this guy won't make it. Would we call this a wasted pick?

The Sox need depth at catcher. As mentioned, way too soon to tell on Lucy. Also too soon to tell on Francisco Hernandez who was rated high by many here and also by BA in their prospect write up. He is scuffling with the bat at Kannapolis right now. There are very few other catching prospects in the Sox org. - mostly just minor league guys who are filling spots.

That's why I for one wanted them to beef that spot up. But I suppose if you have a lot of pitching you can always make trades.

Yep, I definitely like that one on the surface. I'm not very familiar with the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges, is it a wood-bat association?

Well since I have been following that league all year long because I specifically knew we would make this pick. I can say without a doubt 100%... Maybe :P

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Yep, I definitely like that one on the surface.  I'm not very familiar with the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges, is it a wood-bat association?

It must be. I was puzzled. At first glance I assumed he played in a wood bat summer leaugue but I guess thats no the case.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
The Sox need depth at catcher.  As mentioned, way too soon to tell on Lucy.  Also too soon to tell on Francisco Hernandez who was rated high by many here and also by BA in their prospect write up.  He is scuffling with the bat at Kannapolis right now.  There are very few other catching prospects in the Sox org. - mostly just minor league guys who are filling spots.

That's why I for one wanted them to beef that spot up.  But I suppose if you have a lot of pitching you can always make trades.

In my opinion drafting a catcher is a crapshoot mostly, unless a guy had godly talent like Joe Mauer I dont see a reason to draft one because they have to have the lowest rate of success of any position.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
It must be.  I was puzzled.  At first glance I assumed he played in a wood bat summer leaugue but I guess thats no the case.

I know there are a few wood-bat JuCo conferences around the country, but I couldn't name them off the top of my head, that's for sure...

Guest JimH
Derek Rodriguez is a senior but pitched two seasons at University of Arizona (was part of the team that went to the college world series) and also pitched a season of junior college. He's 22.

He was the closer for Arizona and than transferred to UNLV because he wanted to start.  He features a fastball in the 91-93 MPH range and compliments it with a solid curve and changeup.  He's garnished comparisons to Tim Hudson.  Keeps the ball down as his fastball has good sink to it.  I should add its considered a plus curve ball.  "Knee Buckling according to his catcher".

Being the closer at U of A is nothing to sneeze at. Good info here.

Isn't it kinda funny how most closers want to be starters? I hope these kids come to grips that major league relief pitchers make good coin as well. :P