Jose Contreras the All - Star?

DBAHO

From the Southtown;

While the All-Star campaigns for pitchers Dustin Hermanson, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland have begun, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has another potential Sox All-Star in mind.

"(Hermanson) deserves the opportunity. Garland and Buehrle, too. Even (Jose) Contreras," Guillen said. "You look at Contreras, he's ... tough to hit against numbers-wise."

Contreras (2-2, 3.27 ERA) might not have the wins to match Buehrle (7-1, 3.15) or Garland (9-2, 3.40), but he has been tough on American League hitters all season.

Contreras leads the league with a .200 opponents batting average, which is 15 percentage points below the next lowest total put up by the Twins' Johan Santana, the 2004 Cy Young Award winner.

"He's definitely pitched to win a lot of games," Guillen said of Contreras.

Despite the Sox having the best record in the majors, first baseman Paul Konerko is the only South Sider among the top three in fan voting for position players. He trails the New York Yankees' Tino Martinez by 110,000 votes for the starting first-base job.

"Most of the times the kids are voting for their favorite players. They're not voting for the guy that should be there," Guillen said.

I know Garland's been the main suprise this season, but I have to say the biggest one to me has been Contreras. He was a HUGE worry for me going into this season, and he's totally proved me wrong. I just didn't see him posting something below a 4 ERA in his time at the Cell. Let's hope he can continue the way he's been pitching. :cheers

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
I know Garland's been the main suprise this season, but I have to say the biggest one to me has been Contreras. He was a HUGE worry for me going into this season, and he's totally proved me wrong. I just didn't see him posting something below a 4 ERA in his time at the Cell. Let's hope he can continue the way he's been pitching.  :cheers

which is exactly why i'm baffled that there are some on this site who believed at one point that Jose should go sit in the pen while McCarthy took his spot in the rotation. The guy is finally starting to live up to the hype, let's enjoy the results.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
which is exactly why i'm baffled that there are some on this site who believed at one point that Jose should go sit in the pen while McCarthy took his spot in the rotation.  The guy is finally starting to live up to the hype, let's enjoy the results.

Exactly. A lack of run support of Contreras has cost him wins no doubt. Have a look at the run support say Jon Garland would have compared to Jose so far this season.

Whether you like it or not, win stats are used in helping determine all-star pitchers. Even the crappy teams have to have somebody there, and KC will either have Sweeney or Greinke.

Contreras at 2-2 won't be there.

Buerhle and Garland are givens at this point, El Duque might go as well.

That could change in the next 3 weeks if Garland doesn't start pitching better.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Whether you like it or not, win stats are used in helping determine all-star pitchers. Even the crappy teams have to have somebody there, and KC will either have Sweeney or Greinke.

Contreras at 2-2 won't be there.

Buerhle and Garland are givens at this point, El Duque might go as well.

That could change in the next 3 weeks if Garland doesn't start pitching better.

I dont think we will get more than 1 starting pitcher, and possibly Hermy, but probably not. If we have more that 2 players in the game, I will be shocked.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
If Tino Martinez and Paul Konerko are 2 of the top 3 vote getters at 1st base, I wonder who the 3rd guy is.  I bet it's somebody else that's entirely non-deserving.

Maybe it's Texiera. He's very deserving though.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
If Tino Martinez and Paul Konerko are 2 of the top 3 vote getters at 1st base, I wonder who the 3rd guy is.  I bet it's somebody else that's entirely non-deserving.

I would have to go with Teixeira. He's been a beast this year.

In order, the Top 3 1b should be:

Mark Teixeira, Texas

Mike Sweeney, KC

Umm, nevermind, the rest don't really match up. Tino/PK/Sexson would be the best of the rest, and that ain't saying much. If PK got his AVG up another 50 points he'd be #3 without a doubt. Tino is still on the map due to his early-season barrage, but he's plummetted back down to earth in a hurry, and Sexson strikes out way too much (and has a low AVG).

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Wins and name recognition.  He won't be an All-Star, obviously.

But yeah, I'm very happy with how well he's been doing.

Which is why I said with run support.

He would have a lot more wins with run support. Too bad wins are the most overrated stat on the planet, but that's another debate for another day.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)

You're right, it's Kevin Millar, LOL. The one getting royally screwed is Mark Teixiera.