Pregnant woman arrested after refusing jury duty

southsider2k5

I am mixed on this. She should have sent the notice back with a doctor's note that she was pregnant instead of attending, getting on a panel and then not showing up. Did she call the court? When you are on a panel, they give you a phone number to contact the court in case of emergency.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
I am mixed on this.  She should have sent the notice back with a doctor's note that she was pregnant instead of attending, getting on a panel and then not showing up.  Did she call the court?  When you are on a panel, they give you a phone number to contact the court in case of emergency.

Exactly. And how pregnant was she? The story doesn't say. Everybody knows - You HAVE to let them know what's going on. That being said, the last time I served - the guy incharge said the send out 1000 notices a week - expecting only 500 to respond and only 250 to show up. He said they rarely go after the no-shows. It depends on the mood of the judge.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Exactly. And how pregnant was she? The story doesn't say. Everybody knows - You HAVE to let them know what's going on. That being said, the last time I served - the guy incharge said the send out 1000 notices a week - expecting only 500 to respond and only 250 to show up. He said they rarely go after the no-shows. It depends on the mood of the judge.

If they are actually on a panel they likely will and replace her with one of the alternates.

I remember reading that we now have some 10 million graduates of law school in this nation. That might even be a low-ball figure.

My feeling is since they are the best qualified to understand the law let them serve on jury duty. It should be a requirement that if you are employed in the legal profession you serve jury duty at least 4 times a yr.

That makes much more sense then making a pregnant woman do it.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
Sue for what? A lawful arrest for contempt of court?

Unnecessary detainment for starters (which I agree with). Mental anguish, trama, etc.. and whatever else her lawyer can come up with.