Shingo

jasonxctf

I'm a bit surprised that Ozzie hasn't used Shingo that much lately. Especially with the poor performance from Marte lately. Why not go Politte/Cotts in the 7th, Shingo in the 8th and Hermanson in the 9th? Also, why even use Hermanson in non-save situations and save his arm?

shingo has been in 19 games this year. i would count 2 of these games as being horrible performances. The rest have been average or good.

in those 2 games, he has pitched a total of 1.2 Innings, Gave up 8 hits and 7ER. (37.80 ERA)

in the other 17 games, he has pitched a total of 12.2 Innings, Gave up 11 hits and 4ER. (2.84 ERA w/14 k's)

even yesterday, ozzie went to vizcaino instead of using shingo???

thoughts...

I don't remember seeing Shingo for awhile now.. not since the blowup against Texas I believe...I said it b4 and will again. If they want Shingo to be effective again they have to pitch him. He can't get into any groove pitching once a month or even once a week for that matter. IMO

THANK YOU!!! finally someone else agrees with me that we need to use shingo more. He needs to pitch every day or every other day to stay affective, if he has long periods off, he preformance isnt as good. shingo will be fine. dont worry bout him....he is the least of worries

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
THANK YOU!!! finally someone else agrees with me that we need to use shingo more.  He needs to pitch every day or every other day to stay affective, if he has long periods off, he preformance isnt as good.  shingo will be fine.  dont worry bout him....he is the least of worries

Yeah, that's the ticket. Let's pitch a reliever every day to stay sharp; nice work!

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
THANK YOU!!! finally someone else agrees with me that we need to use shingo more.  He needs to pitch every day or every other day to stay affective, if he has long periods off, he preformance isnt as good.  shingo will be fine.  dont worry bout him....he is the least of worries

HA...glad your not the manager!! The least of our worries? Well I can only speak for myself but I get pretty damn worried everytime I see him on the mound with the ball. If he needs work he should go down to AAA for a while, we couldnt possibly let him pitch in that many games up here.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
HA...glad your not the manager!! The least of our worries? Well I can only speak for myself but I get pretty damn worried everytime I see him on the mound with the ball. If he needs work he should go down to AAA for a while, we couldnt possibly let him pitch in that many games up here.

Wasnt it Koch who made comments like that last year. I am throwing 91 but if I pitch a lot I will get back up to 98 again. The pitched him more and he got lit up more.

We are facing Shingo's older brother on Tuesday Byung Yung-Kim. He is still working it out also.

Yeah, that's the ticket.  Let's pitch a reliever every day to stay sharp; nice work!

What I ment was that if you look at his numbers, he is more affective when he pitches once or twice in a row. I know what you mean, but I was tring to say that having him pitch once a week isnt going to give you results, you need to pitch him on more or a consistant basis.

Really? would you rather have walker, or Viz in there? I know I wouldnt. I no that Shingo has not been solid this year, but its still early. Shingo isnt a big worry for us, is he a worry, ofcorse, because he isnt preforming like he should, but he isnt a big worry.

What Ozzie needs to do is pitch Shingo every other dayish, when the Sox are up big or down big. Let him get rhythm and then ease him back into tough situations. This will work, but unfortunately the Sox haven't been up big or done big, so Ozzie has got to put him with a lead and hope for the best.

What Ozzie needs to do is pitch Shingo every other dayish, when the Sox are up big or down big.  Let him get rhythm and then ease him back into tough situations.  This will work, but unfortunately the Sox haven't been up big or done big, so Ozzie has got to put him with a lead and hope for the best.

I agree 100%, he does need to get his rhythm back, and when he does, he will be an asset to the bullpen

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
What Ozzie needs to do is pitch Shingo every other dayish, when the Sox are up big or down big.  Let him get rhythm and then ease him back into tough situations.  This will work, but unfortunately the Sox haven't been up big or done big, so Ozzie has got to put him with a lead and hope for the best.

There's 1 wee problem with your thinking.

Can anyone around here tell me how often we've been up big or down big this season? Last time was Texas, I think, and that was over a week ago.

Right now, Ozzie's basically been doing exactly that - bringing in Shingo when the game isn't on the line or isn't close. But with all of the close games we're in...that means he works like once every 10 days.

Either he'll have to pitch when a game is close, or he will pitch every 10 days. It's basically that simple.

A side note...does anyone else kind of think that Coors field isn't the kind of park that goes well with a struggling Shingo?

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Really? would you rather have walker, or Viz in there?  I know I wouldnt.  I no that Shingo has not been solid this year, but its still early.  Shingo isnt a big worry for us, is he a worry, ofcorse, because he isnt preforming like he should, but he isnt a big worry.

I actually would rather have Vizcaino in the game over Shingo, not because hes clearly better but its just a personal preference. As for Walker he is in AAA, where he belongs. Even when Shingo gets an out it always seems like it was lucky. I'm at the point now where he should only pitch in mop up duty or if the bullpen really needs a break. We will see him at least once against the rockies, so hopefully he can get some outs.

Now how can you say hes not a worry? The only reason he isnt a worry is because he never pitches. Obviously anytime your closer goin into the season ends up becoming the last guy out of the bullpen I consider it a relatively large concern.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
A side note...does anyone else kind of think that Coors field isn't the kind of park that goes well with a struggling Shingo?

How so exactly?

Shingo has given up longballs at a record rate this year, how does that translate to 'goin well at Coors'?

STUPIDITY alert: DISREGARD THIS POST :banghead

Better now? :lol:

Edited by Chisoxrd5

How so exactly?

Shingo has given up longballs at a record rate this year, how does that translate to 'goin well at Coors'?

You might want to re-read his post :chair :chair

LOL there you go!!!....i have to admit i had to read the post 3 times b4 i understood what he said :D :D

Edited by Whitesoxfan56

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
You might want to re-read his post :chair  :chair

LOL there you go!!!....i have to admit i had to read the post 3 times b4 i understood what he said :D  :D

Heck, I had to re-write the thing about 3 times just to get the wording factually correct. Ever run into a phrase that just comes out wrong every time you write it? For some reason, that was one of them.

I love Shingo, but for his good he needs to be sent down to Charlotte for 2-3 weeks with the expressed purpose of pitching in as many games as possible during that 15 or so game stretch. If he figures it out and gets his confidence back, bring him back up and let him usually set-up, and occasionally close (ie if Hermy's gone out 2 or 3 games in a row) If he can't figure it out down in Charlotte, well that hasn't hurt the big club and we can figure things out about Shingo from there. Bring up Baj for a couple weeks and send Shingo down.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
I love Shingo, but for his good he needs to be sent down to Charlotte for 2-3 weeks with the expressed purpose of pitching in as many games as possible during that 15 or so game stretch.  If he figures it out and gets his confidence back, bring him back up and let him usually set-up, and occasionally close (ie if Hermy's gone out 2 or 3 games in a row)  If he can't figure it out down in Charlotte, well that hasn't hurt the big club and we can figure things out about Shingo from there.  Bring up Baj for a couple weeks and send Shingo down.

This makes the most sense because they can't just let him sit in the bullpen and not pitch in live situtations and hope he will get better...he needs to get some work. I agree send him down for a few weeks and get the work in and go from there...

When SHingo is going good he is perfect for Coors (strikouts and gounders). The reason I think you will see him a lot in the next two weeks is these guys have never seen him and therefore he has the upper hand. The lite air is a problem on his breaking stuff though.

The thing with him is he had success last year as well as in Japan. After watching Tadahito all season I have a new found respect for the way the game is played over there, didn't it seem he felt he needed to make it up to his teamates when he did something stupid. I think Shingo needs the work, not against two of the toughest lefties and the hottest team in basball, regardless of the situation. Over-all I think this is another example of the Sox giving up on someone. He is better than Vizcaino and two weeks ago was above Cotts. Again I think he will pitch a-lot over the next two weeks.

I also think warmer weather is what he needs.

I disagree with the 2 statements that either confidence or warmer weather is what Shingo needs right now.

What Shingo needs is control. Plain and simple. The only pitch he has been able to get over the plate on a regular basis is his fastball. Now, that's ok if you're throwing 98, but not if you're throwing 88.

What I've seen from Shingo this year is that he'll throw the hook and the change up and more than half the time he'll miss the strike zone, so he'll have no choice but to throw the fastball. He'll fall behind hitters, and then they can just sit there on a pitch and wait for it.

Let's face it...he's not going to overpower anyone; he needs to outthink them. He needs the hitter to be sitting fastball and then be able to throw the changeup at the knees, forcing the hitter to swing. He needs them to think changeup and see fastball. He needs them to think fastball and get curveball. That was what killed everyone last year; they saw pitches coming but had no choice but to swing because they were going to be strikes often enough.

If he gets those 2 pitches over for strikes, there's still almost no one who can hit him. Without those 2 pitches, he's a batting practice pitcher.