Sox better off In Addison...

nitetrain8601

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/rock...3833479,00.html

"We liked Addison because a significant part of our fan base is suburban," Reinsdorf said. "Another reason we liked Addison was that spring comes to Addison a month before it comes to downtown Chicago when you get away from (Lake Michigan). We have a really hard time drawing in April, because it's so cold."

Reinsdorf said the team "absolutely" would have been better off the past 10 years had it been in Addison but, "Ten years from now, I think we'll be better off where we are."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Denver paper has a story about it, because if the White Sox were not bought by Reinsdorf's group, there was a great chance they would be in Denver right now. Plus, many are curious around the country that you have 2 teams, one with the best record in baseball, and one very average, why the average team almost doubles the attendance of the one with the best record.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
I dont get the point of this

I agree.

What the hell does this mean:

Reinsdorf said the team "absolutely" would have been better off the past 10 years had it been in Addison but, "Ten years from now, I think we'll be better off where we are."

Is this just Reinsdorf babbling, or does he have something planned that will make it better ten years from now?

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
I agree.

Is this just Reinsdorf babbling, or does he have something planned that will make it better ten years from now?

I can't read minds, but I think he's referring to the continued makeover of the Bridgeport neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood directly across the Ryan. Once those projects are gone, and replaced with a more affulent populace(and it will) and some bars/restaurants, the area will be much better than Addison. He's absolutely right though, in that if the Sox's stadium was in any west/southwest suburb, they'd draw much better than they currently do.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
I agree.

I'm gonna hope that he means that in 10 years, the area around the Cell will be booming and attendance will boom as well. Although I hope, it happens in like 2 -3 years.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
I can't read minds, but I think he's referring to the continued makeover of the Bridgeport neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood directly across the Ryan.  Once those projects are gone, and replaced with a more affulent populace(and it will) and some bars/restaurants, the area will be much better than Addison.  He's absolutely right though, in that if the Sox's stadium was in any west/southwest suburb, they'd draw much better than they currently do.

Thanks for the explanation. (And for your insight as well, LosMediasBlancas.)

One thing I would strongly disagree with is any move to a northwest suburb like Addison. The South Side image is non-negotiable, IMO.

I'm glad to learn that Bridgeport is being redeveloped. Sounds like a win-win proposition.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Thanks for the explanation. (And for your insight as well, LosMediasBlancas.)

One thing I would strongly disagree with is any move to a northwest suburb like Addison. The South Side image is non-negotiable, IMO.

I'm glad to learn that Bridgeport is being redeveloped. Sounds like a win-win proposition.

I agree, as long as we stay anywhere south of Madison Ave., we're still 'Southside'.

That quote actually seems right on the money. As the neighborhoods south of the city improve so will the attendance at the Cell. But the image of that area has had to fight through a lot in the past and many of the Sox fans do live in the suburbs.

I would guess there are more Sox fans in a 2-square mile area in Arlington Heights than in the 2-square mile area currently around the Cell.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
I would guess there are more Sox fans in a 2-square mile area in Arlington Heights than in the 2-square mile area currently around the Cell.

I'd bet high that that guess is waaaaay wrong.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
If the neighborhood changes, great.  I'd love to have some 'hang-out' options around the park.  However, I go to games regardless, so I taint so worried.

The only thing I care about is that they get the zoning and permit issues worked out so the condo's can be built sooner rather than later.. Jim and I would likely hit 20 more home games when this happens.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
I can't read minds, but I think he's referring to the continued makeover of the Bridgeport neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood directly across the Ryan.  Once those projects are gone, and replaced with a more affulent populace(and it will) and some bars/restaurants, the area will be much better than Addison.  He's absolutely right though, in that if the Sox's stadium was in any west/southwest suburb, they'd draw much better than they currently do.

Yep. Hopefully it bolds true. I know I'm going to stay a southsider my whole life(not in Beverly, but probably around Bridgeport/South Loop/Pilsen/Hyde Park).

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Until the concrete wasteland is gotten rid of we'll never get the community thign going.

The parking lots HAVE to go.

Not a chance, and thank God for that.

Until the concrete wasteland is gotten rid of we'll never get the community thign going.

um no.

i like taking my 20 minute drive to the cell instead of spending an hour and a half taking the metra then the el.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Not a chance, and thank God for that.

Seriously, I don't want another Wrigley on the southside where it's a hassle to park. If they were to get rid of one of the parking lots I would be fine if they built a parking garage, but that isn't happening.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I dont like dropping a small fortune to park there.

And what do you think you'll pay if parking becomes scarse..?? :banghead

Good grief.. sometime's I am amazed at the lack on common sense on these boards.

No, the project at the south of the stadium needs to be brought down...and they could buy the church or something like that. Plus there is stuff to buy up west of the stadium...around 35th street.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
And what do you think you'll pay if parking becomes scarse..??  :banghead

Good grief.. sometime's I am amazed at the lack on common sense on these boards.

Well obviously when there are scarce parking spots the price goes down.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
And what do you think you'll pay if parking becomes scarse..??  :banghead

I refuse to go to Wrigley for a Cubs/Sox game because parking sucks and my public transportation options are limited...

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Seriously, I don't want another Wrigley on the southside where it's a hassle to park. If they were to get rid of one of the parking lots I would be fine if they built a parking garage, but that isn't happening.

Oh Lord I hope they never build a garage.. have you ever been to St Louis..? Oye ve.. they have a garage there (or did since it's been 4 years since I've been there so I don't know if it's still there) and it took 3 friggin hours to get out of the damn thing.. :angry: