Sox better off In Addison...

nitetrain8601

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
No, the project at the south of the stadium needs to be brought down...and they could buy the church or something like that.  Plus there is stuff to buy up west of the stadium...around 35th street.

that church is the best place to park.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like s***.

I dont think we'll ever get a wrigley-type atomosphere (thank god) because our stadium isnt "beautiful" or a "mecca."

We just need to make it more intregated, and a moat of parking doesnt help that.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
No, the project at the south of the stadium needs to be brought down...and they could buy the church or something like that.  Plus there is stuff to buy up west of the stadium...around 35th street.

That church aint going anywhere anytime soon.. :lol:

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
It looks like s***.

I dont think we'll ever get a wrigley-type atomosphere (thank god) because our stadium isnt "beautiful" or a "mecca."

We just need to make it more intregated, and a moat of parking doesnt help that.

there is plenty of room on 35th for that type of atmosphere stuff, all that stuff before grandstand could be bought out.

If getting to the cell wasn't as easy as it is, i know i wouldn't go to as many games.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
It looks like s***.

Take away parking and accessability to the park and you'll again push the fans away. The parking is a very high selling point for the Sox.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Take away parking and accessability to the park and you'll again push the fans away. The parking is a very high selling point for the Sox.

Exactly, where will all the suburban people park? (where most of our fans are)....The wrigley yuppies don't come from the burbs...they come from the city

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
The point is there are plenty of areas for added 'night life'...no doubt.

Personally I liked the rush of walking back to the green line or the IIT lots. You never knew when you would get picked off. Or a shot over the bow, if you know what I mean.

:bang

*double check the hometown*

Yep, I think it's pretty clear where I stand on this one. :P I would have loved the park about two blocks from my house (it would have basically been in the area next to where the D and B currently is in Addison, across from the Medinah Golf Course). Would have done wonders for our property values, too. :lol:

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
*double check the hometown*

Yep, I think it's pretty clear where I stand on this one.  :P I would have loved the park about two blocks from my house (it would have basically been in the area next to where the D and B currently is in Addison, across from the Medinah Golf Course). Would have done wonders for our property values, too. :lol:

But it would have caused a cluster-eff on 355 and you bet your arse that all those people trying to get south would have complained to the high heavens about it. Honestly I think it's where it should be.

If the neighborhood around the park grows big enough to where enough people can walk or catch a cab to the park and it gives the Sox a big enough boom in revenue, they'll forget about the suburbanites who need to drive and park and will flatten the lots out in .002 seconds. Right now, of course you cater to that group because it's probably your bread and butter. Let the yuppies move in and start demanding s*** and you'll see it change.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
But it would have caused a cluster-eff on 355 and you bet your arse that all those people trying to get south would have complained to the high heavens about it. Honestly I think it's where it should be.

I've never see a cluster f***...sounds interesting! :bang

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)

Oh there's no doubt about that, but you can't say that they wouldn't have alleviated those problems by now. If the ballpark were in Addison, I'm sure they would have made the appropriate changes to adjust for the increased traffic. Of course it would have taken a couple of seasons.

Addison the way it is now is still a great town and the area around the stadium on the southside is shaping up as well. I think down the road it's going to be win-win, because Addison will be a small community with some great draws (Marcus Theaters, D and B, etc) and the area around The Cell will become more accomodating. For me though, the park would have just been icing on the cake. :D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
If the neighborhood around the park grows big enough to where enough people can walk or catch a cab to the park and it gives the Sox a big enough boom in revenue, they'll forget about the suburbanites who need to drive and park and will flatten the lots out in .002 seconds. Right now, of course you cater to that group because it's probably your bread and butter. Let the yuppies move in and start demanding s*** and you'll see it change.

The Sox don't own the lots..

They aren't going anywhere. They will feed the Reinsdorf family for generations to come.. ;)

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Oh there's no doubt about that, but you can't say that they wouldn't have alleviated those problems by now. If the ballpark were in Addison, I'm sure they would have made the appropriate changes to adjust for the increased traffic. Of course it would have taken a couple of seasons.

Addison the way it is now is still a great town and the area around the stadium on the southside is shaping up as well. I think down the road it's going to be win-win, because Addison will be a small community with some great draws (Marcus Theaters, D and B, etc) and the area around The Cell will become more accomodating. For me though, the park would have just been icing on the cake.  :D

I'm sure they would have tried to do something.. but look at 355 right there now.. 4 lanes each way and traffic is still at a standstill for a good 90 minutes in the morning and afternoons with just work traffic. They have enough room to maybe build another lane on each side.. and the $$ to do that would come from the tax payers.. I don't even want to think about the smell of the stink that would have caused.

Would have definitely been interesting...

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
I can't read minds, but I think he's referring to the continued makeover of the Bridgeport neighborhood, as well as the neighborhood directly across the Ryan. 

I agree to an extent. But how much better can the "area" be when the stadium is parked right next to a major expressway?

"Atmosphere" wise, ANY ballpark is better off in either it's own isolated area (Dodger Stadium) or in an Urban environment (Coors Field/Wrigely Field).

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
I take Public Transportation b/c I dont like paying for gas or parking.

I realize everyone isn't in this position, but we used to get dropped off and picked up at the el in Oak Park. The ride down to the ballpark was very quick, and we could drink to our hearts' content.

Guest JimH

Had they been able to turn the ballpark's footprint around and have the CF area open up to the Chicago skyline, a lot of the "atmosphere" chatter would've dissipated right from the get go.

Alas, that wasn't possible ... not without some large extra street/sanitary costs, which I wish they would've done.

There's a huge opportunity for a big restaurant/bar chain (or independent) to open a hangout place somewhere on 35th, between the ballpark and Wallace St. It'd require buying someone out and building from scratch, but its close access to the Dan Ryan and Halsted St. means a place like that could be a year-around destination.

I've often wondered why Reinsdorf and/or the investors haven't taken hold of an idea like this. Surely they know how to get things done with the city, and surely they'd have connections in the restaurant industry.