Oh Bloody Hell

Balta1701

Citigroup has now joined the ranks of the companies that have lost huge amounts of customer data that can be incredibly useful in identity theft. This includes such data as Social Security numbers and birthdates. It seems that Citibank decided it would be a good idea to just ship unencrypted data using UPS.

I have 2 credit cards with Citibank. I'm sitting here today wondering if their incompetence might someday jeopardize my ability to buy a car or a house.

It seems now that almost every week, there is another reported case of a major U.S. company being incredibly careless with its customers personal data. THIS MUST STOP.

The federal government gave a massive handout to the credit card companies a few weeks ago in the form of a bill making bankruptcy more difficult for all but the richest Americans. Now its time we get something in return. There must be federal legislation passed to give companies a reason to protect the private information of their customers.

Right now, the only thing that can happen to punish Citibank for this is that they may lose some customers, while in the meantime, if someone gets their hands on that data...3.9 million people could have their credit histories permanently screwed up, and have to spend years of their lives paying higher costs for credit before they get them fixed.

This situation can not stand. This must be fixed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Citigroup has now joined the ranks of the companies that have lost huge amounts of customer data that can be incredibly useful in identity theft.  This includes such data as Social Security numbers and birthdates.  It seems that Citibank decided it would be a good idea to just ship unencrypted data using UPS.

I have 2 credit cards with Citibank.  I'm sitting here today wondering if their incompetence might someday jeopardize my ability to buy a car or a house.

It seems now that almost every week, there is another reported case of a major U.S. company being incredibly careless with its customers personal data.  THIS MUST STOP.

The federal government gave a massive handout to the credit card companies a few weeks ago in the form of a bill making bankruptcy more difficult for all but the richest Americans.  Now its time we get something in return.  There must be federal legislation passed to give companies a reason to protect the private information of their customers.

Right now, the only thing that can happen to punish Citibank for this is that they may lose some customers, while in the meantime, if someone gets their hands on that data...3.9 million people could have their credit histories permanently screwed up, and have to spend years of their lives paying higher costs for credit before they get them fixed.

This situation can not stand.  This must be fixed.

I have a citibank credit card myself so I took a long hard look at the report but it seems that the data was limited to the consumer loan areas and there was no mention of credit card customers so I think we are ok. Reports like this one are VERY disturbing though.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
Citigroup has now joined the ranks of the companies that have lost huge amounts of customer data that can be incredibly useful in identity theft.  This includes such data as Social Security numbers and birthdates.  It seems that Citibank decided it would be a good idea to just ship unencrypted data using UPS.

I have 2 credit cards with Citibank.  I'm sitting here today wondering if their incompetence might someday jeopardize my ability to buy a car or a house.

It seems now that almost every week, there is another reported case of a major U.S. company being incredibly careless with its customers personal data.  THIS MUST STOP.

The federal government gave a massive handout to the credit card companies a few weeks ago in the form of a bill making bankruptcy more difficult for all but the richest Americans.  Now its time we get something in return.  There must be federal legislation passed to give companies a reason to protect the private information of their customers.

This situation can not stand.  This must be fixed.

YIKES, my VIP card is with them.