Alot of sox fans in colorado

drowninginflame

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
This is why seeing every team in a four or five year rotation is a GOOD thing.

Just wait, just wait, until the feeding frenzy this weekend with Red Sox/Cubs. The Boston fans will be all over that neighborhood.

And, hopefully, the cops!

my buddy and his gf flew out Sunday night to go to colorado to get away for a few days. he figured he would check out Coors field to catch a baseball game.

he is a casual fan, but he roots for the sox. he doesnt really look at the schedule or know in advance who the sox are playing in a given week. well, to his surprise, the rockies just so happened to play the Sox this week.

so he was a happy camper.

:gosoxretro:

People have been leaving the Rust Belt states in droves for a couple of generations. There are ex Chicagoans and ex Illinoisans everywhere. We were in St. Petersburg to see the Sox play the might Devil Rays and there were plenty of Sox fans in the sparse crowd.

Location, location, location. The closest MLB teams are over a 1000 miles away. The Rockies pull fans from Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Topeka, Lincoln, & Las Vegas as well many smaller cities in that Tri-State area.

It's still a novelty to go to a Rockie game out there.

If Vegas ever gets a team expect their attendance to drop considerably.

It would have the same effect on the Rockies as the Nationals are having on the Orioles.

I'll never forget that one columnist that put down our uniforms. What an idiot! It's a well known fact that most young people think the Sox logo & colors are the coolest amongst all major league teams.

Overall the road attendance (26K/gm) has not been much better than the home attendance (23K/gm). But I think a strong June will bring those still expecting the Sox to hit a wall onto the band wagon. I'd be surprised if the best team in MLB doesn't approach 30K/gm on the road before the season ends.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
Location, location, location. The closest MLB teams are over a 1000 miles away. 

I'm pretty sure Phoenix, KC, Arlington and San Fran are less than 1000 miles.. San Fran and KC more like 600 miles..

Colorado doesn't need to pull from anywhere else. There are plenty of people in and around the Denver area.

I'm pretty sure Phoenix, KC, Arlington and San Fran are less than 1000 miles.. San Fran and KC more like 600 miles..

Colorado doesn't need to pull from anywhere else. There are plenty of people in and around the Denver area.

SF is about 1200, Pheonix 911, Arlington, 885, KC 614.

Home attendance SF is #5, AZ #18, TX #13, & KC #29.

You can pretty much leave off the Rangers & the Royals because people living in those areas are much closer to the Cards & the Astros. I'm surprised to see the contending D-Backs ranked only 18th in attendance this year.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Location, location, location. The closest MLB teams are over a 1000 miles away.  The Rockies pull fans from Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Topeka, Lincoln, &  Las Vegas as well many smaller cities in that Tri-State area.

It's still a novelty to go to a Rockie game out there.

If Vegas ever gets a team expect their attendance to drop considerably.

It would have the same effect on the Rockies as the Nationals are having on the Orioles.

I'll never forget that one columnist that put down our uniforms.  What an idiot!  It's a well known fact that most young people think the Sox logo & colors are the coolest amongst all major league teams.

Overall the road attendance (26K/gm) has not been much better than the home attendance (23K/gm).  But I think a strong June will bring those still expecting the Sox to hit a wall onto the band wagon.  I'd be surprised if the best team in MLB doesn't approach 30K/gm on the road before the season ends.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)

Umm Chicago is within 1000 miles of Denver......I can see some of the closer states but I cant see people traveling more then like 300 miles to go watch a Rockies game.....

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
You can pretty much leave off the Rangers & the Royals because people living in those areas are much closer to the Cards & the Astros. 

:huh:

So was your point that people would rather drive 800 miles to Denver from Vegas versus 300 miles to LA, or 400 to AZ, or 600 to SF..?

I just don't think many people go from Vegas to Colorado to watch a ball game where as I would guess that baseball fans in Texas and KC would.

BTW, I used Vegas because in all honestly I don't think folks in Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Topeka, & Lincoln are all that interested in traveling to a big city for a ball game. I think folks that live there are there for a reason and the quiet life and slow pace is more appealing to them and choose to remain there for their leisure activities.

Regardless.. like I said Denver, which consists of over 4 million people itself, is more than capable of filling that place. Apparently the fans just aren't interested.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Umm Chicago is within 1000 miles of Denver......I can see some of the closer states but I cant see people traveling more then like 300 miles to go watch a Rockies game.....

And I wouldn't think those within 300 miles would bother to do that. What's out there.. the Amish, Mormans, etc..... people who are strong into family and nature, right? (Seriously I'm asking so if anyone knows please correct me cause I have no idea).

And, no offense J, but I don't see people from Vegas going to Colorado.. two completely different worlds.

QUOTE(Be Good @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
I see some people wearing Sox hats in NY, and when I ask them why they say because they like the logo.

You wouldn't believe how many people wear them out in Boston. Most know that it's the logo of the White Sox, but some are just really stupid and assume that the "Sox" stands for the Red Sox.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Regardless.. like I said Denver, which consists of over 4 million people itself, is more than capable of filling that place. Apparently the fans just aren't interested.

22 Colorado 23,380

23 Florida 23,231

24 Chicago Sox 23,120

Do I need to respond to this......its funny an attendence thread thats not about us for once......therefore i must bring our weak asses into this

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
You wouldn't believe how many people wear them out in Boston.  Most know that it's the logo of the White Sox, but some are just really stupid and assume that the "Sox" stands for the Red Sox.

actually there is an old Red Sox hate that has our sox logo on it, you can tell its the red sox because the S is missing the extra line that ours has. I see alot of people at white sox games wearing them, but they are really red sox hats.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
22 Colorado        23,380

23 Florida            23,231

24 Chicago Sox      23,120

Do I need to respond to this......its funny an attendence thread thats not about us for once......therefore i must bring our weak asses into this

Yeah that is kind of pathetic isnt it, I hope that starts climbing soon now that almost every kid is out for summer or will be once their road trip is over and we are still 1st in the majors.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
actually there is an old Red Sox hate that has our sox logo on it, you can tell its the red sox because the S is missing the extra line that ours has.  I see alot of people at white sox games wearing them, but they are really red sox hats.

Na, they wear White Sox hats. Trust me. Most of them know it, but there are some idiots that are...well...idiots.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Na, they wear White Sox hats.  Trust me.  Most of them know it, but there are some idiots that are...well...idiots.

But have you seen those? They are red, and the S is all jacked up

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Yeah that is kind of pathetic isnt it, I hope that starts climbing soon now that almost every kid is out for summer or will be once their road trip is over and we are still 1st in the majors.

Take a look at what's coming up...

3 games with the Cubs = 3 sell outs

3 games with the Red Sox = 3 sell outs

3 games with the yankees = 3 near sell outs

7 more home dates with the twins, including the final 4 home games of the year. = 7 times over 30K

That's easily gonna come in at over half a mil for those 16 games.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
But have you seen those?  They are red, and the S is all jacked up

I don't know about the specific hat you are talking about, but I'd venture a guess that it's the early 70's White Sox hat, from the Chuck Tanner, Dick Allen era.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
But have you seen those?  They are red, and the S is all jacked up

Yea I believe the hat you are talking about is the 70's Era white sox hat. I have that one in my collection and whenever I wear it Scrubs fans are always like "Why are you wearing a Red Sox hat" and I have to explain to them that the White Sox have not always been Black and White.....

I guess you could call it a "Red" Sox hat

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
I kinda wonder how many sox fans will be at Petco this weekend??

We know Soxtalk is gonna be representing :headbang

The Dodgers and Angels series usually draw a pretty strong contingent of Sox fans, but the Pads have really good fans, still I'd expect a good number of Sox fans.

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
my buddy and his gf flew out Sunday night to go to colorado to get away for a few days.  he figured he would check out Coors field to catch a baseball game.

he is a casual fan, but he roots for the sox.  he doesnt really look at the schedule or know in advance who the sox are playing in a given week.  well, to his surprise, the rockies just so happened to play the Sox this week.

so he was a happy camper.

:gosoxretro:

s*** I'm diehard and unless I'm going to games I rarely know who the hell they are playing the next day, lol. One thing I'm not is a schedule watcher and I don't pay much attention to standings until after the all star break.